Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Smiths College to add Women's Hockey

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post

SUNY Canton has dual membership (the only one i saw on the list)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...A_institutions
    Is Canton staying with the USCAA? Their teams are all joining the North Atlantic Conference NCAA D3 conference in all sports where they offer a championship for 18-19. What would be the benefit of dual membership?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      Is Canton staying with the USCAA? Their teams are all joining the North Atlantic Conference NCAA D3 conference in all sports where they offer a championship for 18-19. What would be the benefit of dual membership?
      Canton is going full ncaa with the move to the NAC.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        NAC isn’t a very strong conference. Castleton is moving out of the NAC and into the Little East because they found the NAC a little lacking....

Comment

Canton Tech is on a long path from JUCO to NCAA. They seemed to do it in baby steps.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
          12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
            A school can be affiliated with both NCAA and USCAA
            http://www.theuscaa.com/Constitution..._07-01-17-.pdf

SUNY Canton has dual membership (the only one i saw on the list)
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...A_institutions
            True, they can be affiliated with both. But, they have to be a full member of NCAA to be able to play any NCAA sport. And there are minimum requirements to joining the NCAA, and they include a minimum number of sponsored NCAA sports with a minimum number of sponsored NCAA sports in each season (Fall, Winter, Spring). I don't know offhand what those minimum numbers are for D3, but I wonder if Paul Smith's even competes in enough sports to meet those numbers.

EDIT: I just went and looked at their sports offerings. Rugby doesn't count because that's not an NCAA sport. So, the men have cross country, soccer, and basketball. The women have cross country, soccer, volleyball, and basketball (and soon ice hockey). Note, there is no spring sports for anyone. That's a serious problem right there. And overall, I don't think they have enough sports to be recognized by the NCAA. I'm sure there are probationary periods allowed, but I wonder about this whole plan.

EDIT2: Here is what I found on the NCAA application to explore D3 membership:

Please note that your institution must satisfy the minimum sports-sponsorship requirements during your exploratory
            year. Complete the chart included by listing all varsity intercollegiate sports involving all male, all female and mixed male
            and female teams you plan to sponsor during the exploratory year.
            1. At least six varsity intercollegiate sports for men and at least three of the six sports must be team sports.*
            2. At least six varsity intercollegiate sports for women and at least three of the six sports must be team sports.*
            3. One sport per gender per season (i.e., fall, winter, spring).
            [Team sports include: baseball, basketball, field hockey, football, ice hockey, lacrosse, rowing (women’s), rugby
            (women’s), soccer, softball, volleyball and water polo.]
            *Institutions with full-time undergraduate enrollment fewer than 1,000 students must sponsor only five varsity
            intercollegiate sports for each gender.

Paul Smith's does not meet any of these requirements, even for the ones under 1,000 students, if that is their enrollment.

[Funny, I just noticed that women's rugby is an NCAA sport. Huh, never knew that. So, the women's side if they are under 1,000 students would meet requirement #2. Is rugby in the spring? If so, half of requirement #3 is also now met.]
            Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 12-08-2017, 08:44 AM.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              True, they can be affiliated with both. But, they have to be a full member of NCAA to be able to play any NCAA sport. And there are minimum requirements to joining the NCAA, and they include a minimum number of sponsored NCAA sports with a minimum number of sponsored NCAA sports in each season (Fall, Winter, Spring). I don't know offhand what those minimum numbers are for D3, but I wonder if Paul Smith's even competes in enough sports to meet those numbers.

EDIT: I just went and looked at their sports offerings. Rugby doesn't count because that's not an NCAA sport. So, the men have cross country, soccer, and basketball. The women have cross country, soccer, volleyball, and basketball (and soon ice hockey). Note, there is no spring sports for anyone. That's a serious problem right there. And overall, I don't think they have enough sports to be recognized by the NCAA. I'm sure there are probationary periods allowed, but I wonder about this whole plan.

EDIT2: Here is what I found on the NCAA application to explore D3 membership:

Please note that your institution must satisfy the minimum sports-sponsorship requirements during your exploratory
              year. Complete the chart included by listing all varsity intercollegiate sports involving all male, all female and mixed male
              and female teams you plan to sponsor during the exploratory year.
              1. At least six varsity intercollegiate sports for men and at least three of the six sports must be team sports.*
              2. At least six varsity intercollegiate sports for women and at least three of the six sports must be team sports.*
              3. One sport per gender per season (i.e., fall, winter, spring).
              [Team sports include: baseball, basketball, field hockey, football, ice hockey, lacrosse, rowing (women’s), rugby
              (women’s), soccer, softball, volleyball and water polo.]
              *Institutions with full-time undergraduate enrollment fewer than 1,000 students must sponsor only five varsity
              intercollegiate sports for each gender.

Paul Smith's does not meet any of these requirements, even for the ones under 1,000 students, if that is their enrollment.

[Funny, I just noticed that women's rugby is an NCAA sport. Huh, never knew that. So, the women's side if they are under 1,000 students would meet requirement #2. Is rugby in the spring? If so, half of requirement #3 is also now met.]
              skiing?? That would seem a no brainer.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Yeah, I overlooked the co-ed sports menu. So, you have to add bowling, Nordic skiing, and golf (the other co-ed sports they have are not NCAA sports). So, depending on how they count co-ed sports, it could meet the overall minimum requirement. But according to their respective schedules, all those sports are either fall or winter (but I always thought golf was a spring sport...), so it still doesn't qualify for the spring sport requirement.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

That's how they get to class, not an intercollegiate sport.

Does the NCAA have skiing below D-1? Clarkson participates in the USCSA, along with Paul Smiths.
                  Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                  10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                  5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                  21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                  ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                  ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                  12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                  National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                    That's how they get to class, not an intercollegiate sport.

Does the NCAA have skiing below D-1? Clarkson participates in the USCSA, along with Paul Smiths.
                    Yes they do. Castleton is D3 and has both men’s and a women’s ski teams

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Yeah, I overlooked the co-ed sports menu. So, you have to add bowling, Nordic skiing, and golf (the other co-ed sports they have are not NCAA sports). So, depending on how they count co-ed sports, it could meet the overall minimum requirement. But according to their respective schedules, all those sports are either fall or winter (but I always thought golf was a spring sport...), so it still doesn't qualify for the spring sport requirement.
                      Golf is split season. Fall and spring. Fall determines who plays for the conference championship in the spring.

And up there, spring = mud.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                        Skiing is a "Collegiate Championship" sport (No divisions)
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          Castleton has varsity skiing but it falls under USCAA. Skiing is only a ncaa collegiate championship. (D1)
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Castleton has varsity skiing but it falls under USCAA. Skiing is only a ncaa collegiate championship. (D1)
                            Isn't a collegiate championship multi division?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Isn't a collegiate championship multi division?
                              It's called the National Collegiate Skiing Championship. St. Lawrence, St. Michael's, Middlebury, Bates, Colby etc. all have teams.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

It's called the National Collegiate Skiing Championship. St. Lawrence, St. Michael's, Middlebury, Bates, Colby etc. all have teams.
                                I went through the Castleton website and there are articles about the team qualifying for the NCAA regionals. If that's the case.....would skiing qualify as an NCAA sport for Paul Smiths?

Comment

Working...
                                X