Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    How will you fare in year 10?
    No plan survives contact with the enemy.

In other words, Congre$$ will revise the 2018 Law that it will be unrecognizable from what will be passed in the next few days.

I'll be 73. That much is certain.

Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

The controversy intensified further when Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) appeared on ABC News’ “This Week” yesterday and George Stephanopoulos asked about the specific provision benefiting those with real estate income through LLCs. When the host asked if Republicans are prepared to undo this, Cornyn dodged. It led to this exchange:

STEPHANOPOULOS: [This provision] apparently was added at the last minute. Why was that done? Why was it necessary to include that provision?

CORNYN: Well, we were working very hard. It was a very intense process. As I said, the Democrats refused to participate. And what we’ve tried to do is cobble together the votes we needed to get this bill passed.
    Bob Corker owns a lot of real estate. Hey, Bob. Go **** yourself.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    No plan survives contact with the enemy.

In other words, Congre$$ will revise the 2018 Law that it will be unrecognizable from what will be passed in the next few days.

I'll be 73. That much is certain.
    I'm guessing that when Obamacare was implemented you weren't so quick to dismiss its impact on the future. As long as you get your couple grand while you're young enough to enjoy it...

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I can think of about a thousand different ways to do this tax cut that would have been acceptable to me.
    Then name one or two.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    I'm guessing that when Obamacare was implemented you weren't so quick to dismiss its impact on the future. As long as you get your couple grand while you're young enough to enjoy it...
    I had/have insurance through my employer. I thought ACA was an unwarranted federal overreach that, sure as shootin', the Feds would find a way to foul it up like they did with No Child Left Behind and Common Core. They did.

It should have stayed at the State level.

Lucia Apologist

I had/have insurance through my employer. I thought ACA was an unwarranted federal overreach that, sure as shootin', the Republicans would find a way to foul it up like they did with No Child Left Behind and Common Core. They did.

FTFY, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    FTFY, Joe.
    Hmmmm.. Remember the Deep State?
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...trump-s-agenda

It's not a party, it's the bureaucrats who have an entrenched interest in Empire Building..

Made in the USA

It's not a party, it's the bureaucrats who have an entrenched interest in Empire Building..
    Always look at those appointed.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

You're wrong. Your party sabotaged Obamacare to score points and to continue the false narrative that government is the enemy of the people. You've bought a load of goods from a group of con artists who happily harm innocent people to feed their ideology and line their own pockets.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

I had/have insurance through my employer. I thought ACA was an unwarranted federal overreach that, sure as shootin', the Feds would find a way to foul it up like they did with No Child Left Behind and Common Core. They did.

Because poor people in Mississippi and Kentucky deserve to be farked over, right?

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Because poor people in Mississippi and Kentucky deserve to be farked over, right?
    Now you mention it...

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Sweet. U of Minnesota emailed season ticket holders today to remind us that our current required “donation” is currently 80% deductible but will not be at all under the new tax plan. They are letting you donate before 12/31 if you want to get the deduction.
    I’ll pass.

To be honest it feels like they think we're too stupid to understand what's in the bill so they'll get away with it. Just heard a House Republican say that Americans don't care about carried interest. "Raises Hand", I do.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Inspired by Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    To be honest it feels like they think we're too stupid to understand what's in the bill so they'll get away with it.
    Yep, extremely disrespectful and brazen. The good news is, support for it is down another 10 points so it will def be an anchor on the campaign trail this summer.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Yep, extremely disrespectful and brazen. The good news is, support for it is down another 10 points so it will def be an anchor on the campaign trail this summer.
    I hope so.

It's pretty easy to distract the public from stuff like this. One of the ways they get away with it is the media is primed to think (or to act as if they think) that people don't care about / can't understand policy and finance. That's why we wind up with a 24/7 inundation of sports and entertainment instead of news. Of course, it also serves the interests of the ruling class to put the people to sleep.

The Dems need to pound this every day from now til November. We are in a class war; our side just isn't fighting.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Sweet. U of Minnesota emailed season ticket holders today to remind us that our current required “donation” is currently 80% deductible but will not be at all under the new tax plan. They are letting you donate before 12/31 if you want to get the deduction.
    I’ll pass.
    U of North Dakota sent a similar memo out.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Read an excellent quote concerning The Heist this morning. It exposes a central myth used in the drive by the Plutes to brainwash the public in the last 40 years; one you can see repeated mindlessly every day from the mouths and keyboards of a million Commenters and other Useful Idiots. A few even here.

The normal and proper aim of the corporate community is to make money for its managers and for the owners of business. All the better if its members also contribute to the general prosperity. However, business acts on the prevailing business philosophy, which claims that corporate self-interest eventually produces the general interest. This comfortable belief rests on misinterpretation of the theory of market rationality proposed by Adam Smith.

Smith would have found the market primitivism of the current day unrecognizable. He saw the necessity for public intervention to create or sustain the public interest, and took for granted the existence of a government responsible to the community as a whole, providing the structure within which the economy functions.

Classical political thought says that the purpose of government is to do justice for its citizens. Part of this obligation is to foster conditions in which wealth is produced. The obligation is not met by substituting the wealth-producer for the government.

Business looks after the interests of businessmen and corporation stockholders. Stark and selfish self-interest obviously is not what motivates most American businessmen and -women, but it is the doctrine of the contemporary corporation and of the modern American business school.

It does not automatically serve the general interest, as any 18th century rationalist or any 21st century realist would acknowledge.

-- William Pfaff
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-19-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Inspired by Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I hope so.

It's pretty easy to distract the public from stuff like this. One of the ways they get away with it is the media is primed to think (or to act as if they think) that people don't care about / can't understand policy and finance. That's why we wind up with a 24/7 inundation of sports and entertainment instead of news. Of course, it also serves the interests of the ruling class to put the people to sleep.

The Dems need to pound this every day from now til November. We are in a class war; our side just isn't fighting.
    I've been thinking about the news coverage more since my iphone is responding to what I click on. If I click on a Fox News story, "Slutty new teacher arrested for sex romp with pimply sophomore" or "Kardashian girl wears eye-popping thong" then my feed is flooded with similar stuff. Likewise if I click on genetic research stories and other serious stuff. Not sure what to do about it, but I'm concerned that cultural silos will get worse instead of better. Ms. Kardashian and I might spend a week reading "the news" and never even come across the same story.
    Besides the Fox clickbait, MLB seems to be the most egregious responder. I click on one story about a Tigers trade, and for a week I'm flooded with analysis of the Mets bottom 100 future prospects from basement bloggers.
    The lack of gatekeepers is both good and bad but I'm starting to think we should do something.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

So, Bob Corker is the most corrupt politician of them all. Good to know.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    For many, this may be an issue, but it won't change voting behaviors. Because- guns, abortion, terrorism, immigration, etc. Even though NONE of those are ever addressed, the emotion that each carries trumps logic and people's pocketbook.

Otherwise, this very long term destruction of our government would never be going on.

We think the future will suck because poor will be poor, and never have a way to pull out of the bottom- but the real key is the poor will never be educated, and the really smart ones will still have no way to pull out of the bottom. Education has gotten the first major, major cut, and it's effects will run deep for a long time. General health and the environment are next up.

And we somehow pretend that greed is good....

Thread Information