This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Well the whole D social engineering tax treatment is set up for odd things to fear behavior. From solar tax credits to pinpointed deductions. Start small and encourage. Al gore's "I want to start a back to school retraining credit..."
    People who work don't have interest in that. They want to spend times with their families and not go back to night school.

You are moving away from your parties playbook doing that.
    As long as corporate subsidies to oil and coal end, too.

Lots of “social engineering” is also done to keep people spending money, since most of the beneficiaries don’t earn enough to save, so all of that goes directly floating through the economy. Saving money without the intent to spend is bad for the economy. At least the one we have set up.

Besides, just simplifying the tax code does not mean all welfare ends.

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Lots of “social engineering” is also done to keep people spending money, since most of the beneficiaries don’t earn enough to save, so all of that goes directly floating through the economy. Saving money without the intent to spend is bad for the economy. At least the one we have set up.

Besides, just simplifying the tax code does not mean all welfare ends.
      Are you really saying this in the context of the average worker? Cause right now Corporate profits are at an all time high, Corporations are sitting on Trillions of dollars, AND they plan on using the tax cut for stock buybacks and debt reduction.

The average worker spends all their money.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        I’m less concerned about the 45k he pulled out of his *** and more with the fact that his plan penalizes single income families that make the same as dual income families
        No more families in tax land, only tax payers. It is called an *income* tax after all. No income, no tax.

Also, by having just a single (income earner) filing status, you get away from the penalty of unmarried couples living together, polymory families, "the marriage penalty", etc.

By giving every taxpayer a large (indexed) standard deduction, you eliminate a lot of filers and paperwork.

Is it a utopian tax plan? Nope. But I feel that it is a darn sight better than what we currently have and will have.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          No more families in tax land, only tax payers. It is called an *income* tax after all. No income, no tax.

Also, by having just a single (income earner) filing status, you get away from the penalty of unmarried couples living together, polymory families, "the marriage penalty", etc.

By giving every taxpayer a large (indexed) standard deduction, you eliminate a lot of filers and paperwork.

Is it a utopian tax plan? Nope. But I feel that it is a darn sight better than what we currently have and will have.
          How is it better? You tax single income families considerably more than dual income families. That seems like a terrible idea from both a family option standpoint and the impact on the worker pool size.

And no breaks for kids? I thought you hated abortions, but this could increase it thanks to the cost.

Seems like a worse structure by a wide margin.

Comment

How is it better? You tax single income families considerably more than dual income families. That seems like a terrible idea from both a family option standpoint and the impact on the worker pool size.

And no breaks for kids? I thought you hated abortions, but this could increase it thanks to the cost.

Yeah, and skimming 12% off the top from every worker in America is better.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Are you really saying this in the context of the average worker? Cause right now Corporate profits are at an all time high, Corporations are sitting on Trillions of dollars, AND they plan on using the tax cut for stock buybacks and debt reduction.

The average worker spends all their money.
              My “social engineering” is social security and Medicare. Not corporate hand outs. SS money goes right into the economy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Yeah, and skimming 12% off the top from every worker in America is better.
                Progressive tax rates work fine, as far as I’m concerned.

Treat income all the same, and reduce the kinds of odd deductions. That will fix most of the issues.

Other than rich people being mad.

Comment

My “social engineering” is social security and Medicare. Not corporate hand outs. SS money goes right into the economy.
                  That's not social engineering. Most of that money was going into the economy in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

The tax code is, in reality, a social engineering code. Our plan returns it to revenue generation.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      The tax code is, in reality, a social engineering code. Our plan returns it to revenue generation.
                      Everything is "social engineering." You think laissez-faire isn't social engineering? There is no natural baseline from which policies artificially diverge. Everything is negotiated the instant people begin to live in groups.

"Social engineering" is an empty catch phrase.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 12-29-2017, 11:58 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        No, yours is far more direct social engineering. By a wide margin as I have pointed out.

And that’s not even considering your moving single deduction target. Which adds a whole level to social engineering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I have read this sentence six times and I still can't parse it.
                          Gear

Auto correct screwup
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            So I was talking to my dad and he mentioned that the new tax law has provisions where you will be “required” to sell your stock shares first in, first out. We couldn’t come up with any way of enforcing that or even how that law would work. Would someone like Wells Fargo have to determine if their shares are your oldest?

Anyone else heard anything about this or how it would work?

Also, he worked for a company that inverted and now the dividends will no longer be considered qualified dividends. Might have been changed in the final bill but yeah. Another little Christmas present.
                            Trust accounting systems (also brokerage systems) track all of your purchases as separate "tax lots". This goes back to their creation, really. You had the option of LIFO, FIFO, or cost-averaging the sale of your shares.

To go with that, a number of years ago (7 or 8, maybe), Cost-Basis Reporting had a big push, so even shares you're gifted from gramps now required their original costs tracked from the old system/company/account into your account. How they're tracked for actual tax purposes at time of sale is another matter entirely.

I know nothing of this rule you're mentioning, if it exists.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I’m aware of most of that. All of that tracking used to be on the consumer. A law required the brokerage or holding company to track the lots a few years ago.

I’m more interested in the fifo rules that come with this new law.

ETA: looks like FIFO was excluded in the final version.
                              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

DJIA now at 25000.

So much for that crash that would happen if Trump was elected.

Comment

Working...
                                X