X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yes, but they don’t pay federal income taxes. Which means not getting as much support probably would make sense in a vacuum. But obviously that’s not the only reason.

Look, all I’m saying is they’ve had numerous chances. They finally went for it, under protest, when a party that hates Hispanics was in complete control.

That being said, we still treat them like **** and they deserve better.
    They do pay federal tax. Just not the same as you do. And they get screwed out of what they pay, too. Why should they get back that much less than they pay??

Again, how does that even matter that we now treat stuff being made there as being imported from a foreign country? AND they are supposed to be like a state with regards to shipping stuff- the Jones Act- adding even MORE cost to stuff they make and send to the US. How does it make any sense at all to take away the largest source of income from the island???

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Kep

If DC retakes Alexandria and Arlington doesn't that hurt the Ds chances in Richmond?
      Yes. The plan isn't favorable to either party in the Senate.

Let's call each state a 1 rather than 2 for simplicity:

DE joins MD: blue -1
      ND merges with SD: red -1
      VT joins NH: blue -1
      AK joins WA: sways WA into red: net blue -1
      WY joins MT: red -1
      DC regains their VA territories and gets statehood: sways VA to red, net red +1
      PR statehood blue +1
      CA splits into three states: Shasta (the north), Fresno (central), and old California (the south): net blue +1, red +1
      Annex Canada: blue +1

Total effect: even

In the House, blue will gain, however, adding DC, PR and Canada. That is roughly equal to adding one democratic Texas' worth of citizens (30M roughly 60/40 blue).
      Last edited by Kepler; 12-20-2017, 10:20 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        If we're going to merge states, that's going in the opposite direction of what we should. The minimum population for statehood should be 1M.

DE joins MD.
        ND merges with SD.
        VT joins NH.
        AK joins WA.
        WY joins MT.

That gives us 5 to play around with:

CA splits into three states: Shasta (the north), Fresno (central), and old California (the south).
        California partition could be fun. NoCal and SoCal is an easy one--they'd both be in favor. Central gets a little trickier, depending on where you draw lines, though most Bay Area and Santa Cruz Mtn residents, including Big Sur, consider themselves of the same stock (and could care less about the peasants in the valley). But there would be some very fun battles over ag money in the Valley and water in the Sierras.

Big Dakota would be a giant. Combine its sizeable nuclear arsenal and oil reserves along with the superior genetic makeup of the population (brains and looks, mostly), and you have a formidable state that would have every reason to secede.
        Last edited by burd; 12-20-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          California partition could be fun. NoCal and SoCal is an easy one--they'd both be in favor. Central gets a little trickier, depending on where you draw lines, though most Bay Area and Santa Cruz Mtn residents, including Big Sur, consider themselves of the same stock (and could care less about the peasants in the valley). But there would be some very fun battles over ag money in the Valley and water in the Sierras.
          I'm tossing the Republicans a bone by carving out a Central CA. Make Fresno the capital. It will be the most boring state in the nation and have political and social policies equivalent to Arizona.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

ETA: looking it up now, I remember there was a huge controversy over it. The turnout was historically low and it was boycotted by a good chunk of the nation.
            Turn out was 25%. According to The Statehood movement in Puerto Rico Wikipedia article, "this figure is comparable to other states’ during their admission process: Wisconsin’s statehood plebiscite had a 17% turnout, Arizona 7%, Hawaii 35%, and Alaska had a 21% turnout." however there is no citation given, so this may not be accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              AK joins WA..
              that gerrymander wouldn't even be the worst looking at the end of the day
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                They do pay federal tax. Just not the same as you do. And they get screwed out of what they pay, too. Why should they get back that much less than they pay??

Again, how does that even matter that we now treat stuff being made there as being imported from a foreign country? AND they are supposed to be like a state with regards to shipping stuff- the Jones Act- adding even MORE cost to stuff they make and send to the US. How does it make any sense at all to take away the largest source of income from the island???
                Every blue state gets back less than they pay in.

Regarding the second paragraph. you aren’t reading what I’m saying. You’re just reacting. Our response has been abysmal. They’re citizens of the US and we’re not helping. It’s unconscionable.

We should help them with whatever they need and they should vote to become a state the next time the people who don’t hate brown people are back in power.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  Turn out was 25%. According to The Statehood movement in Puerto Rico Wikipedia article, "this figure is comparable to other states’ during their admission process: Wisconsin’s statehood plebiscite had a 17% turnout, Arizona 7%, Hawaii 35%, and Alaska had a 21% turnout." however there is no citation given, so this may not be accurate.
                  I’m not sure they’re comparable anyway. Maybe Alaska and Hawaii.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

not sure how that works. CA and NY have more people for example, so that defense budget that keeps them safe and those nukes would have to proportionally be spread out more to cover them. much bigger allocation that the tiny population of wyoming and idaho.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      not sure how that works. CA and NY have more people for example, so that defense budget that keeps them safe and those nukes would have to proportionally be spread out more to cover them. much bigger allocation that the tiny population of wyoming and idaho.
                      Much more productive population.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

Big Dakota would be a giant. Combine its sizeable nuclear arsenal and oil reserves along with the superior genetic makeup of the population (brains and looks, mostly), and you have a formidable state that would have every reason to secede.
                        If you want to split CA into 3, okay, just please don't call us "Fresno".

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          It was an oversimplification, but it’s basically true:
                          https://www.theatlantic.com/business...takers/361668/

Also, your defense argument is kind of absurd. I can’t tell if it’s a bit.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Except New Mexico, thanks to Los Alamos.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              If you want to split CA into 3, okay, just please don't call us "Fresno".
                              "Frisco" would be as bad, wouldn't it?

Comment

It was an oversimplification, but it’s basically true:
                                https://www.theatlantic.com/business...takers/361668/

Also, your defense argument is kind of absurd. I can’t tell if it’s a bit.
                                defense of the country and dollars spent are not part of this argument? really? like they just don't exist?

Comment

Working...
                                X