This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

What if hospitals (and associated providers) had to show average cost of various common procedures from the prior year on their website.

Procedure Performed Average Cost
    Appendix removal (non-acute) 53 $----
    Appendix removal (acute) 22 $----

Would it matter?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Tyson Foods (my employer) is giving all hourly employees a $1000 bonus as a result of the tax cuts. Um, thanks?

And I did my taxes. Turns out I jumped into a new bracket, so only getting a refund of $1200 ish. I'll see what happens next year.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        What if hospitals (and associated providers) had to show average cost of various common procedures from the prior year on their website.

Procedure Performed Average Cost
        Appendix removal (non-acute) 53 $----
        Appendix removal (acute) 22 $----

Would it matter?
        Not for the acute/emergent stuff, because you're going to the closest place that can handle you at that point. If you're shopping by price, you're already dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Not for the acute/emergent stuff, because you're going to the closest place that can handle you at that point. If you're shopping by price, you're already dead.
          BIngo. I spent four years building a cost transparency tool. Great for labs and radiology, not so great for the heart attack and the 13k ambulance bill because you didn’t get it pre authorized

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            BIngo. I spent four years building a cost transparency tool. Great for labs and radiology, not so great for the heart attack and the 13k ambulance bill because you didn’t get it pre authorized
            You have to get pre authorized to have a heart attack?!!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Exactly!
              On a serious note a lot of people have bona fide emergencies only to find out that the nearest hospital they were brought to isn’t in network

Comment

Interesting... http://thehill.com/regulation/health...on-drug-prices

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  It's one of the great money saving ideas of all time. A GOP idea for sure.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Tyson Foods (my employer) is giving all hourly employees a $1000 bonus as a result of the tax cuts. Um, thanks?

And I did my taxes. Turns out I jumped into a new bracket, so only getting a refund of $1200 ish. I'll see what happens next year.
                    New bracket only applies to the monies above that amount. It's not a sawtooth setup with cliffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Exactly!
                      On a serious note a lot of people have bona fide emergencies only to find out that the nearest hospital they were brought to isn’t in network
                      There are insurances with that setup that treat all emergency rooms for bona fide emergencies as "in network". It's only if you're going there for a non-emergency is it considered out...

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                        Totally agreed. Our pill popping culture never really made sense to me outside of the basics – asprin, penicillin etc.

As far as I see it, this problem is hardly unique or new. What has happened with that premiums keep going up, and the amount we pay keeps going up. It’s the frog in hot water – if you warm up the water, it won’t notice. The same thing has happened to our insurance. What worse ( I found this out directly), the actual price mechanism of this market is 100% opaque. That’s right, you cannot actually attain the real costs of your services. They are 100% made up. This is what happens when you have two profit driven enterprises with the ability to write laws, operate in oligopolies, and expand unchecked.

I love the idea of a free market. I run a business. That said, the free market isn’t always the best market. There are plenty of instances where participants do not need to act in the best interest of the client. Hospitals and insurance (from a financial standpoint) can afford to do this. When I was literally dying, it wasn’t like I was going to go shopping for a doctor in network. They know this, and exploit it to the hilt.
                        The free market is good if it's a truly free market. As you've noted, it's not a free market, otherwise competition would actually come in that acts int eh best interest of the client. And then there are thousands of regulations piled on so even more cost is spent on compliance, and as much as I know some ****** will give some turn-of-the-20th-century answer to regulations in order to facilitate a binary mind, I will just put out here that they've gone too far, and used it to create the crony mess we're in.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Check campaign contributions from Big Pharma. That will tell you the likelihood of passage.

I have a modest proposal. We've, I believe, seen racing drivers' suits with all the sponsorship ads on them. I propose that before a member of Congress appears in front of TV cameras, they don a suit that has all their corporate and PAC donors listed. The bigger the donation, the bigger (and better placed) the ad.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Check campaign contributions from Big Pharma. That will tell you the likelihood of passage.

I have a modest proposal. We've, I believe, seen racing drivers' suits with all the sponsorship ads on them. I propose that before a member of Congress appears in front of TV cameras, they don a suit that has all their corporate and PAC donors listed. The bigger the donation, the bigger (and better placed) the ad.
                            I'm well aware of the cronyism. Funny thing is, those in the establishment are starting to GT*O. We have quite the chance now.

Comment

Seconded!
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                I'm well aware of the cronyism. Funny thing is, those in the establishment are starting to GT*O. We have quite the chance now.
                                We kimosabe?
                                We the people have a chance, but I'm afraid the primary process will bring forth the fringe with the far left on one side and the radical right on the other.

The solution is to vote in the primaries and dilute the effects of the fringe who turn out religiously in the primaries.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X