Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 1001

Thread: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

  1. #821
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,051

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by unh_hockey View Post
    Totally agreed. Our pill popping culture never really made sense to me outside of the basics – asprin, penicillin etc.

    As far as I see it, this problem is hardly unique or new. What has happened with that premiums keep going up, and the amount we pay keeps going up. It’s the frog in hot water – if you warm up the water, it won’t notice. The same thing has happened to our insurance. What worse ( I found this out directly), the actual price mechanism of this market is 100% opaque. That’s right, you cannot actually attain the real costs of your services. They are 100% made up. This is what happens when you have two profit driven enterprises with the ability to write laws, operate in oligopolies, and expand unchecked.

    I love the idea of a free market. I run a business. That said, the free market isn’t always the best market. There are plenty of instances where participants do not need to act in the best interest of the client. Hospitals and insurance (from a financial standpoint) can afford to do this. When I was literally dying, it wasn’t like I was going to go shopping for a doctor in network. They know this, and exploit it to the hilt.
    The free market is good if it's a truly free market. As you've noted, it's not a free market, otherwise competition would actually come in that acts int eh best interest of the client. And then there are thousands of regulations piled on so even more cost is spent on compliance, and as much as I know some ****** will give some turn-of-the-20th-century answer to regulations in order to facilitate a binary mind, I will just put out here that they've gone too far, and used it to create the crony mess we're in.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  2. #822

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,638
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Check campaign contributions from Big Pharma. That will tell you the likelihood of passage.

    I have a modest proposal. We've, I believe, seen racing drivers' suits with all the sponsorship ads on them. I propose that before a member of Congress appears in front of TV cameras, they don a suit that has all their corporate and PAC donors listed. The bigger the donation, the bigger (and better placed) the ad.

  3. #823
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,051

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Check campaign contributions from Big Pharma. That will tell you the likelihood of passage.

    I have a modest proposal. We've, I believe, seen racing drivers' suits with all the sponsorship ads on them. I propose that before a member of Congress appears in front of TV cameras, they don a suit that has all their corporate and PAC donors listed. The bigger the donation, the bigger (and better placed) the ad.
    I'm well aware of the cronyism. Funny thing is, those in the establishment are starting to GT*O. We have quite the chance now.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  4. #824

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,365

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I have a modest proposal. We've, I believe, seen racing drivers' suits with all the sponsorship ads on them. I propose that before a member of Congress appears in front of TV cameras, they don a suit that has all their corporate and PAC donors listed. The bigger the donation, the bigger (and better placed) the ad.
    Seconded!
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  5. #825

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,638
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'm well aware of the cronyism. Funny thing is, those in the establishment are starting to GT*O. We have quite the chance now.
    We kimosabe?
    We the people have a chance, but I'm afraid the primary process will bring forth the fringe with the far left on one side and the radical right on the other.

    The solution is to vote in the primaries and dilute the effects of the fringe who turn out religiously in the primaries.

  6. #826

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,365

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    We the people have a chance, but I'm afraid the primary process will bring forth the fringe with the far left on one side
    God, if only. I realize you probably think Kirsten Gillibrand is "the far left," but take it from somebody who sits out here all alone on the end of the branch: we have zero chance of taking even a statewide seat in about 45 states, let alone a national election. We have no bench and no effective communicators. We are well and truly f-cked.

    I am taking the following policy positions as "far left":

    0. Political contributions above a small personal amount made illegal as bribery.
    1. Aggressive break up of too big to fail corporations.
    2. Guaranteed minimum income.
    3. Free public education through PhD.
    4. Free universal health care.
    5. Restoring the marginal tax rates to before Reagan.
    6. Hard core regulation of financial industry.
    7. Restoring civil rights and liberties to pre 9-11.
    8. Fairness doctrine.
    9. Aggressive taxation of industries for externalities.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  7. #827
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,835

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    God, if only. I realize you probably think Kirsten Gillibrand is "the far left," but take it from somebody who sits out here all alone on the end of the branch: we have zero chance of taking even a statewide seat in about 45 states, let alone a national election. We have no bench and no effective communicators. We are well and truly f-cked.
    "Kirsten Gillibrand is "the far left," - ROTFLMAO.

    That's what the right thinks and it's so ****ing hysterical.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  8. #828
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    God, if only. I realize you probably think Kirsten Gillibrand is "the far left," but take it from somebody who sits out here all alone on the end of the branch: we have zero chance of taking even a statewide seat in about 45 states, let alone a national election. We have no bench and no effective communicators. We are well and truly f-cked.

    I am taking the following policy positions as "far left":

    0. Political contributions above a small personal amount made illegal as bribery.
    1. Aggressive break up of too big to fail corporations.
    2. Guaranteed minimum income.
    3. Free public education through PhD.
    4. Free universal health care.
    5. Restoring the marginal tax rates to before Reagan.
    6. Hard core regulation of financial industry.
    7. Restoring civil rights and liberties to pre 9-11.
    8. Fairness doctrine.
    9. Aggressive taxation of industries for externalities.
    2.3 millions filipinos work abroad sending back $28billion a year to support their families.
    Mookie’s colleagues maid has 3 kids back home. Youngest is 12, oldest graduates college next month. She going back to see the ceremony. She hasn’t been there to see them for 3 years.

  9. #829

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,365

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    2.3 millions filipinos work abroad sending back $28billion a year to support their families.
    Mookie’s colleagues maid has 3 kids back home. Youngest is 12, oldest graduates college next month. She going back to see the ceremony. She hasn’t been there to see them for 3 years.
    Which has what to do with what?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  10. #830
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    18,862

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Which has what to do with what?
    mookie like stories.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  11. #831
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Which has what to do with what?
    Why is it some people work for things they want, while others don’t (perception perhaps more than reality).

    We have to hear about all these immigrants taking jobs now. But as mookie has witnessed and type... only Spanish speaking dudes are cleaning mookie’s throne in the office (when he was in Boston.). ((Here they are south Asians)).

    If you go and give away everything for free, that lessens the value of it.

    Why don’t we instead work to get what is now high school fixed to train what we need? Why is there crazy testing? Why do teachers unions complain if there are guidelines put in that they feel go after them? Why is the simple solution to throw money at it? Or make it free? Or cut funding?

    Why ask why? Bud dry

    Is kep prepared to have all his disposable income taxed away to pay for all this? Don’t say just tax the rich (ie everyone making more than you).

    Has to be broad based like Kerry Heinz wanted.

    Just don’t see where free is the answer. Many people strive and do things and make sacrifices .... and then some just want it for nothing.

    “Rich”people do work. Maybe they don’t dig ditches, but it’s still work. Not sure why you and Scoobs hate them

    Shouldn’t be mean to rover . He’s on your side (maybe)

  12. #832
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,350
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    mookie like stories.
    Confession—- he does

  13. #833
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,051

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    We kimosabe?
    We the people have a chance, but I'm afraid the primary process will bring forth the fringe with the far left on one side and the radical right on the other.

    The solution is to vote in the primaries and dilute the effects of the fringe who turn out religiously in the primaries.
    The past few Presidential elections have been won by motivating the base, not pandering to the moderates. The people want a "stick to your guns" leader, not someone who will negotiate away what they hold dear.

    Trump did such a good job because he stands behind things everyone can get behind, while the only thing the other side can battle that with is "racism", "sexism", and some made-up tie to another country.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  14. #834

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,365

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The past few Presidential elections have been won by motivating the base, not pandering to the moderates.
    Holy sh-t. Flag wrote a factually true sentence.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  15. #835

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,365

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    “Rich”people do work.
    Some do; most don't. Most inherited their wealth or sit in a hammock while their money works, multiplying itself in a game rigged by other rich people.

    All of which would be fine if people weren't dying due to lack of resources. But they are, so the rich can go f-ck themselves. If you have a third house and somebody else dies because they don't have medicine, you're a murderer.

    There is absolutely no relationship between effort and wealth. Not direct; not inverse. They are utterly disconnected.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  16. #836
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,051

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Some do; most don't. Most inherited their wealth or make it because money multiples itself in a game rigged by other rich people.

    All of which wold be fine if people weren't dying. But they are, so the rich can go f-ck themselves.

    There is absolutely no relationship between effort and wealth. Not direct; not inverse. They are utterly disconnected.
    Effort in general, perhaps not. However, when the effort is concentrated with a goal in mind, there can be an either direct or indirect (in the case of "unearned income") effect. Wealth doesn't come out of thin air, despite the efforts of the Federal Reserve. There's always going to be some form of limited resources, as people place value based on the percentage of what is available. Sure, ways people attain said wealth may be more ethical than others, and we both have a different utopian perspective on the personal efforts towards personal wealth, but to claim they are utterly disconnected is quite the fallacy. Even those with "unearned income" still have to place their trust in the efforts of someone, lest the person they trust lose it all.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  17. #837
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,032

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Effort in general, perhaps not. However, when the effort is concentrated with a goal in mind, there can be an either direct or indirect (in the case of "unearned income") effect. Wealth doesn't come out of thin air, despite the efforts of the Federal Reserve. There's always going to be some form of limited resources, as people place value based on the percentage of what is available. Sure, ways people attain said wealth may be more ethical than others, and we both have a different utopian perspective on the personal efforts towards personal wealth, but to claim they are utterly disconnected is quite the fallacy. Even those with "unearned income" still have to place their trust in the efforts of someone, lest the person they trust lose it all.
    Babble, only slower.

  18. #838
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,392

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Thank god. Regulators block Chinese firm from buying Chicago stock exchange (no, not the mercantile)

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1G000H

  19. #839
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,392

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands


  20. #840
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,213

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Thank god. Regulators block Chinese firm from buying Chicago stock exchange (no, not the mercantile)

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1G000H
    Good. For once, an agency in the Dump-era did something I actually agree with (yes, I know the SEC is supposed to be one of the "independent" agencies).

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Meh

    *Prt Scr*
    *paste to Paint or Photoshop*
    *crop & resize*
    *save to Imgur*

    A few extra steps, but not exactly back-breaking for the typical expertise of a user who "steals" images.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 02-16-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •