X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Within a day after the corporate tax cuts pass,
    - AT&T gives $1,000 bonus to 200,000 workers.
    - Comcast gives $1,000 bonus to 100,000 workers.
    - Wells Fargo and Fifth Third Bancorp increase their minimum wage to $15/hour.
    - Nexus Services gives all employees 5% raise and looks to hire 200 more workers.

What do these stories have in common?

Explicit mention of the corporate tax cut as the driving motivator.

[sarcasm]I did not realize that everyone who worked for these companies was ultra-wealthy! What a give-away that only the rich will enjoy! How horrible that these nasty selfish corporations would treat their employees so badly! People will die! [/sarcasm]
    Sigh. Trump supporters not already named "Mark" should be.
    Last edited by burd; 12-23-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

A day late and a dollar short.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I knew. you knew.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Within a day after the corporate tax cuts pass,
          - AT&T gives $1,000 bonus to 200,000 workers.
          - Comcast gives $1,000 bonus to 100,000 workers.
          - Wells Fargo and Fifth Third Bancorp increase their minimum wage to $15/hour.
          - Nexus Services gives all employees 5% raise and looks to hire 200 more workers.

What do these stories have in common?

Explicit mention of the corporate tax cut as the driving motivator.

[sarcasm]I did not realize that everyone who worked for these companies was ultra-wealthy! What a give-away that only the rich will enjoy! How horrible that these nasty selfish corporations would treat their employees so badly! People will die! [/sarcasm]
          So we're .000001% there.

Taking the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21% means that the entire affected business sector will need to grow 66% to account for the lost taxes. At our current growth rate of 4% the bar has been set pretty high.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            So we're .000001% there.

Taking the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21% means that the entire affected business sector will need to grow 66% to account for the lost taxes. At our current growth rate of 4% the bar has been set pretty high.
            It’s not good to have goals???
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The more I look at this, the more the elimination of the SALT deduction seems like it really screws the areas with higher property values and property taxes. Interesting those are mostty blue states. I wonder if that was a deliberate F/U by the republicans in Congress.

Be sure to pre pay your 2018 property taxes if you can.
              Last edited by ericredaxe; 12-25-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

So I was talking to my dad and he mentioned that the new tax law has provisions where you will be “required” to sell your stock shares first in, first out. We couldn’t come up with any way of enforcing that or even how that law would work. Would someone like Wells Fargo have to determine if their shares are your oldest?

Anyone else heard anything about this or how it would work?

Also, he worked for a company that inverted and now the dividends will no longer be considered qualified dividends. Might have been changed in the final bill but yeah. Another little Christmas present.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  The more I look at this, the more the elimination of the SALT deduction seems like it really screws the areas with higher property values and property taxes. Interesting those are mostty blue states. I wonder if that was a deliberate F/U by the republicans in Congress.
                  Most likely. Think about it: those most affected are CA, NY, IL, NJ, CT. Those are not states the Rs have much hope in in Presidential races. You can chalk CA's 2020 electoral votes up to a ham sandwich with a D on it right now. <-- That's not political; that's reality.

So, literally, in the eyes of the Rs, so what if hard-core, rank and file, Ds are PO'd about elimination (or capping) of SALT.

What is does is bring out a core conservative issue to the forefront: Why are people in those states paying so much in tax to those states in the first place? It's going to bring the tax and spend conversation in those states out with an advantage to the conservatives. "If you weren't taxed so much this wouldn't be an issue" will be the refrain.

But wait, there's more. Those being affected were people typically (rightly or wrongly) cast as "we should all pay more in taxes" bi-coastal liberals. Well, now they will pay more in Federal tax. Either they merrily pay it or they're hypocrites. (<-- The Rs actually made a savvy move, a move Reagan never could get, that jammed up the Ds.)

And finally, those same bi-coastal folks are being cast in Flyover as having been "subsidized" up to now. Yes. I've heard that word. The bi-coasters never had to pay their fair share of Federal load because of big state deductions is the big, square state Rs' spin.

Sorry. I think I built you a watch there when all you wanted was the time.

Time is: Yup. Intentional.
                  Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-26-2017, 07:57 AM.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Most likely. Think about it: those most affected are CA, NY, IL, NJ, CT. Those are not states the Rs have much hope in in Presidential races. You can chalk CA's 2020 electoral votes up to a ham sandwich with a D on it right now. <-- That's not political; that's reality.

So, literally, in the eyes of the Rs, so what if hard-core, rank and file, Ds are PO'd about elimination (or capping) of SALT.

What is does is bring out a core conservative issue to the forefront: Why are people in those states paying so much in tax to those states in the first place? It's going to bring the tax and spend conversation in those states out with an advantage to the conservatives. "If you weren't taxed so much this wouldn't be an issue" will be the refrain.

But wait, there's more. Those being affected were people typically (rightly or wrongly) cast as "we should all pay more in taxes" bi-coastal liberals. Well, now they will pay more in Federal tax. Either they merrily pay it or they're hypocrites. (<-- The Rs actually made a savvy move, a move Reagan never could get, that jammed up the Ds.)

And finally, those same bi-coastal folks are being cast in Flyover as having been "subsidized" up to now. Yes. I've heard that word. The bi-coasters never had to pay their fair share of Federal load because of big state deductions is the big, square state Rs' spin.

Sorry. I think I built you a watch there.

I guess the answer you're looking for is: Yup. Intentional.
                    This is a great post. I completely get the motivation and the reasoning. We could of course respond in kind and bankrupt Dumbf-ckistan by ending the subsidization of the red states by the blue states. That's not a fight country mouse wants to have.

The regional / ideological / cultural alignment was always there to be exploited by the politicians -- it's kinda a surprise it's taken 150 years to get back to open hostilities, though I guess one could say all of American history is this division.

Well, if we have a second civil war (or better, the uncontested secession we should have had in 1860) at least I won't have to live in the desert with the farmer tan proles.

There's always Zurich.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 12-26-2017, 08:02 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      ... though I guess one could say all of American history is this division.
                      There's a reason what is today called "the electoral college" was created by the authors of the founding documents.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        We could of course respond in kind and bankrupt Dumbf-ckistan by ending the subsidization of the red states by the blue states. That's not a fight country mouse wants to have.
                        < I feel myself channeling someone ... >

After you deduct $60k of SALT from your 1040, and that's $60k at those highest Federal rate schedules, who is subsidizing whom?

Heck, my constituents wish they had $60k in income.

Signed,
                        Square state R Congressman

< wow, that was creepy, but, you know that's coming sure as sunrise >

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          < I feel myself channeling someone ... >

After you deduct $60k of SALT from your 1040, and that's $60k at those highest Federal rate schedules, who is subsidizing whom?

Heck, my constituents wish they had $60k in income.

Signed,
                          Square state R Congressman

< wow, that was creepy, but, you know that's coming sure as sunrise >
                          Blue states (minus New Mexico) are still subsidizing red states. Lest we forget Texas cutting state fire fighting funds, then shockingly having a bad wild fire season, and then asking the feds for money to fund said fire fighting. (And when the feds didn't give them enough, the solution proposed by governor "Oops" was literally to pray for rain).

Comment

The Tax Policy Center did their analysis of what passed. Here's part of a summary I found of the analysis. I'm just getting into the guts of reading the whole TPC report.

Bottom 80% currently pays 33% of all federal income taxes, but gets 35% of the tax cuts.
                            Top 1% currently pays 27% of all federal taxes, but gets 21% of the tax cuts.
                            So, the share of all federal taxes paid by wealthy will rise.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              The Tax Policy Center did their analysis of what passed. Here's part of a summary I found of the analysis. I'm just getting into the guts of reading the whole TPC report.
                              Where does the other 56% go? The Wealthy. That's who. There is no defense for this stupid bill. None. And you can't read very well. From the same article.

It says right in the paper the rich get a higher percentage. 14 percent vs. 1.8 percent to the middle class.
                              Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-26-2017, 08:36 AM.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Where does the other 56% go? The Wealthy. That's who. There is no defense for this stupid bill. None.
                                Scoobs, I think you mean "44%".
                                And logic would dictate 'to the remaining 19%' who are currently paying 40% of all taxes.

I know it won't be popular here, but giving the folks in the 80 to 99 percentile of incomes a break doesn't bother me. Note I said "incomes". Those folks are mainly small-business owners with employees and incomes from the business, not trust-fund babies living off investments.

I'm saying this based on siblings with small businesses living it daily.
                                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-26-2017, 08:43 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X