Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    I've had 2 VW vehicles, both with the 4Motion AWD system. Both have been in the Northern NY winter weather, and I was pleased with both.

My current ride, VW Touareg, did a heck of a job when I drove up there a couple years ago. Had the whole mix spectrum from PA to Albany, and the car didn't have any issues at all.

Of course, again and has been said, being a smart driver in crap conditions helps a lot.
    My sister lives in SLC and loves to spend time in the Mountains, which are literally in her back yard. Steep to get to her place. She drove a Touareg for years but switched to Subaru--Outback I think. I liked her vw, and so did she, but she's really happy with the Subaru.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      This is simply shown by how many 4wd vehicles you see doing 45+mph with snow on the road... Yea, 4wd helps you get going, but it dont do crap to help you stop.
      45mph? If you can't go more than that with snow on the road, you suck at driving. I have driven in snow my whole life, and I drive fast in snow. I have never went in the ditch. First, you don't drive fast when you are behind someone, because you won't be able to stop, second, you actually think ahead, and if there is a curve, you start slowing down earlier. It isn't that hard, and if you don't suck at driving, driving in the snow is easy, even at higher speeds.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Why drive at high speeds in snow at all, though?

I've never had problems with driving in snow because I'm a safe driver anyway. That consists of paying f-cking attention. I can't count the number of accidents I have avoided because I saw dangerous situations starting to develop well ahead of reaching them and because I always leave myself a ton of space fore and aft. Part of that is making sure the speeding or weaving dipsh-t gets way ahead of me so I can watch his fiery death with amusement from a safe distance.
        Last edited by Kepler; 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I've never had problem with driving in snow because I'm a safe driver anyway. That consists of paying f-cking attention. I can't count the number of accidents I have avoided because I saw dangerous situations starting to develop well ahead of reaching them and because I always leave myself a ton of space fore and aft. Part of that is making sure the speeding or weaving dipsh-t gets way ahead in the distance so I can watch his fiery death with amusement from a safe distance.
          I think by high speeds bbdl means the speed limit. My ride on Sat was mostly doing 60-65 in a 65mph zone (driving a mini-van), and it was some pretty harsh weather as far as snow and visibility. Had no issues outside the occasional slippage getting going at stoplights, which are notorious for ice and lack of traction. As you said, keep your space, pay attention to the vehicles around you, etc.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I think by high speeds bbdl means the speed limit. My ride on Sat was mostly doing 60-65 in a 65mph zone (driving a mini-van), and it was some pretty harsh weather as far as snow and visibility. Had no issues outside the occasional slippage getting going at stoplights, which are notorious for ice and lack of traction. As you said, keep your space, pay attention to the vehicles around you, etc.
            Yeah, I am talking speed limit. I'm not going to be going 80 out there, but I also don't think going 40 on the highway is a good idea either, that is unsafe.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Yeah, I am talking speed limit. I'm not going to be going 80 out there, but I also don't think going 40 on the highway is a good idea either, that is unsafe.
              I generally follow the flow of traffic, and I think you'd agree. If EVERYONE is doing 40mph, ok, it stinks, but that's the way it goes. If you have 15-20 mph differences in speeds...that's just trouble waiting to happen.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Mookie has a wicked knuckleball?

I think it was George Carlin.
                Yip
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Driving in the snow is easy...just don't be a dumb***, and watch out for dumb***es.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I generally follow the flow of traffic, and I think you'd agree. If EVERYONE is doing 40mph, ok, it stinks, but that's the way it goes. If you have 15-20 mph differences in speeds...that's just trouble waiting to happen.
                    It's relative speed not absolute. Although I have been on Canadian highways where the flow of traffic was too fast for me in the snow. I just took the off ramp and waited for rush hour.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I've never had problems with driving in snow because I'm a safe driver anyway. That consists of paying f-cking attention. I can't count the number of accidents I have avoided because I saw dangerous situations starting to develop well ahead of reaching them and because I always leave myself a ton of space fore and aft. Part of that is making sure the speeding or weaving dipsh-t gets way ahead of me so I can watch his fiery death with amusement from a safe distance.
                      You mean you're not going to rush in to save someone from a fiery death? Make America Great Again!!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Federal government - closed
                          Most school systems - closed

My power is still on and my patio furniture is mostly still in place.

And MD drivers still can't drive.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            And MD drivers still can't drive.
                            How's their putting?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I could probably close this thread with all of the weather tweets I am receiving.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The VP says it's fake news.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X