Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 802

Thread: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

  1. #561

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Good thing every school district in the metro cancelled...still no snow. What a hilarious miscalculation.
    One Jim Cantore sighting = mass panic

  2. #562
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Good thing every school district in the metro cancelled...still no snow. What a hilarious miscalculation.
    They have done that here (Jamestown ND) before and no snow. This time they got it right. Coming down in sheets and the wind to come early tonight yet.

  3. #563
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,857

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Good thing every school district in the metro cancelled...still no snow. What a hilarious miscalculation.
    My coworker who lives just outside of St. Cloud is getting smacked around like a Catholic school student by the storm today. He couldn't make it to Highway 10 this morning, called the boss to report absent.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  4. #564
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,066

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My coworker who lives just outside of St. Cloud is getting smacked around like a Catholic school student by the storm today. He couldn't make it to Highway 10 this morning, called the boss to report absent.
    Yeah my gf tried using that as an excuse (she is a teacher) and I will say to you what I said to her...we dont live in St. Cloud it is 45 minutes away. I just drove on 3 major highways, 2 major streets, a bunch of side streets and walked on sidewalks and unsalted parking lots...I never even slipped due to having awful balance let alone the drizzle (you know the supposed skating rinks that are supposed to be out there) that is falling intermittently

    The districts panicked and failed. They cant even use the "well the end of the day will be bad" BS because the HS are already letting out and now the heaviest wont be here til probably rush hour which means middle and elementary will likely miss it too. Canceling last night at 8pm based on...and this is a direct quote from the district when they called my gf "the PREDICTION of snow" (not actual snow just that snow was supposed to happen" was moronic. They could have waited and cancelled in the morning if it got bad like they always have in the past.

    This is the crap we usually mock the Southern states for although at least they get an inch before they cancel. We havent even gotten a dusting.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  5. #565
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,066

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Uh oh it started mildly snowing...districts better hurry and cancel tomorrow now!! Hell I heard there could be POSSIBLY be snow some day in the future so why not just close down all week!!
    Last edited by Handyman; 03-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  6. #566
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Uh oh it started mildly snowing...districts better hurry and cancel tomorrow now!! Hell I heard there could be POSSIBLY be snow some day in the future so why not just close down all week!!
    While I get your mockery, I know that in Northern NY, they build the snow days into the schedule. They're already accounted for "days off" in September, at the start of the school year. So essentially, they'll use them one way or another, adding onto vacation weeks come March/April even without any snow, because they basically must be used.

  7. #567
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,273
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Sounds like weíre going to get walloped again tomorrow.
    Havenít left my office yet but itís snowing and blowing very hard all after a good 12 hours of rain or so. Should be interesting to see how the roads are on the commute home.

  8. #568
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,066

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    While I get your mockery, I know that in Northern NY, they build the snow days into the schedule. They're already accounted for "days off" in September, at the start of the school year. So essentially, they'll use them one way or another, adding onto vacation weeks come March/April even without any snow, because they basically must be used.
    They do that here too so nothing in that regard was effected.

    It just seems funny to me to cancel school before a flake even hits the ground.

    It is coming down pretty decent now at my house but nothing too bad. I wonder if tomorrow they will cancel because it will look doubly foolish to cancel it with no snow but make kids go after it actually snows
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  9. #569
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,859

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Northern Maine aka " the county" has had over 100 inches of snow and 0 snow days. They go no matter what. My area has had 60 inches or so and they have used their allotted snow days plus, the school year ends later now. 10 to 18 weds night into Thursday according to the guessers. Another day of school in June

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  10. #570
    Very Un-Dude
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Hockey Mecca
    Posts
    26,685

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    They do that here too so nothing in that regard was effected.

    It just seems funny to me to cancel school before a flake even hits the ground.

    It is coming down pretty decent now at my house but nothing too bad. I wonder if tomorrow they will cancel because it will look doubly foolish to cancel it with no snow but make kids go after it actually snows
    When did you become a 70 year old curmudgeon?

    Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


    And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

  11. #571
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    When did you become a 70 year old curmudgeon?
    Not only that, but they have to make decisions based on the data they have at the time. You can't wait until buses are being sent out to cancel school. It's better to cancel early and be wrong every so often than to not cancel and have it be a disaster.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  12. #572
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,066

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Not only that, but they have to make decisions based on the data they have at the time. You can't wait until buses are being sent out to cancel school. It's better to cancel early and be wrong every so often than to not cancel and have it be a disaster.
    Oh please they used to cancel school at 6am stop it you sound foolish. (or later if there was the "2 hour late start" ) They cancelled it at 8pm when snow wasnt expected for like 10 more hours in the best projections. (and that shifted well before THE BUSSES WERE BEING SENT OUT!!!!)

    And lets not forget how bad the Weather Terrorists screwed it up to begin with. Nice prediction model I did a better job based on looking at my phone for 12 seconds than you did with all the "data". (I said after the gf got the call the snow wouldnt hit us until way later than they said and this will all look ridiculous)

    There has to be a happy medium where you dont look stupid as heck (MNDOT and the Districts do no matter how you slice it) and still give everyone enough time. It isnt like this is new stuff for us there is a reason people watch morning news in the winter and it aint the tasty recipes and witty repartee

    And Grey I enjoy having the house to myself during the day so if I am going to lose that the weather better be friggin awful!!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  13. #573
    Kicizapi Cetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    14,302

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    I wish the Weather Terrorists were wrong.
    I've moved way too < bleep > much heavy wet snow already today and more is coming overnight.

    This version of "snow" is why I moved back to ND from the east coast.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  14. #574
    Kicizapi Cetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    14,302

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    When did you become a 70 year old curmudgeon?
    Isn't he supposed to add some words about having to walk 10 miles each way to and from school, uphill both ways, into the wind, with his brother, in 6 feet of snow, and they only had three snowshoes between the two of them?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  15. #575
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Oh please they used to cancel school at 6am stop it you sound foolish. (or later if there was the "2 hour late start" ) They cancelled it at 8pm when snow wasnt expected for like 10 more hours in the best projections. (and that shifted well before THE BUSSES WERE BEING SENT OUT!!!!)

    And lets not forget how bad the Weather Terrorists screwed it up to begin with. Nice prediction model I did a better job based on looking at my phone for 12 seconds than you did with all the "data". (I said after the gf got the call the snow wouldnt hit us until way later than they said and this will all look ridiculous)

    There has to be a happy medium where you dont look stupid as heck (MNDOT and the Districts do no matter how you slice it) and still give everyone enough time. It isnt like this is new stuff for us there is a reason people watch morning news in the winter and it aint the tasty recipes and witty repartee

    And Grey I enjoy having the house to myself during the day so if I am going to lose that the weather better be friggin awful!!
    Yeah, and it probably has to do a lot with newer contracts the districts sign. I wouldn't be shocked if the bus companies and maybe even teacher's unions have clauses where you need to make a decision by a certain time the night before or you still pay.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  16. #576
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,510
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I wish the Weather Terrorists were wrong.
    I've moved way too < bleep > much heavy wet snow already today and more is coming overnight.

    This version of "snow" is why I moved back to ND from the east coast.
    We have a half a foot here already and Iím guessing it will be another half a foot by morning.

  17. #577
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,863

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Nothing started until 3pm in Plymouth MN, so IMO the schools over-reacted. Good point on the contracts, but it's still an over-reaction in this particular case.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #578

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Nothing started until 3pm in Plymouth MN, so IMO the schools over-reacted. Good point on the contracts, but it's still an over-reaction in this particular case.
    USA Hockey HS Nationals coming to Plymouth in 2 weeks. Hope the weather breaks by then.

  19. #579
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,669

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    USA Hockey HS Nationals coming to Plymouth in 2 weeks. Hope the weather breaks by then.
    Since when would a little snow and ice impact whether a hockey tournament is going to happen? This is MN, not Texas.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  20. #580

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,445
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Since when would a little snow and ice impact whether a hockey tournament is going to happen? This is MN, not Texas.
    They're coming from all over the USA. Some places have only seen snowplows in picture books.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •