Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    Just replaced a solenoid on my generator and made sure it starts now. It’s supposed to get windy here on the coast (I’m on Mount Desert Island, just off the coast of Maine). We’re projected to get 12-16” of snow and gusts of 60+ mph
    Waves? Tides?

THUNDERSNOW???!!!!
    Last edited by joecct; 01-03-2018, 09:37 PM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Your Boston forecast, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.newnownext.com/gay-news-a...ewart/01/2018/
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The good news about the blizzard is it warmed up today. I wore my light jacket today; it was 12F when I got to work. It felt pretty nice. My face didn’t hurt on my walk in. Eventually it got up to the high 20s. After we get dumped on it’s supposed to drop back down to zero (real, not with wind chill) for the weekend (when I want to be out skiing in the new snow)

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          The good news about the blizzard is it warmed up today. I wore my light jacket today; it was 12F when I got to work. It felt pretty nice. My face didn’t hurt on my walk in. Eventually it got up to the high 20s. After we get dumped on it’s supposed to drop back down to zero (real, not with wind chill) for the weekend (when I want to be out skiing in the new snow)
          It is possible to be too cold to snow. Weird, huh?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Today was gorgeous out. Did a quick swing outside to check on an installation when I was down at the plant. The sun felt so good. It was totally bearable without a jacket even though there was a breeze and it was single digits.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Today was gorgeous out. Did a quick swing outside to check on an installation when I was down at the plant. The sun felt so good. It was totally bearable without a jacket even though there was a breeze and it was single digits.
              A bit windy on the west side where I am, but yeah, that sun helped.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                This startribune headline confirms what Brent said :

The deep-freeze free-fall that began Christmas Day made the final week of 2017 in the Twin Cities the coldest in 132 years with an average temperature of 3 below zero.
                Wow. You don't see that very often. (Brent being right, I mean.)

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                It is possible to be too cold to snow. Weird, huh?
                Case in point...

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

"Cold for Minnesota" is a pretty scary thought.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Case in point...
                    I mean, he's not wrong under the vast majority of conditions. Obviously if you have 100% humidity at -100 degF and it drops to -125 degF, it's going to snow as the moisture in the air falls out. It's not going to be very much snow, but it's going to snow in some form.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    "Cold for Minnesota" is a pretty scary thought.
                    Honestly, it wasn't even that bad in the Twin Cities. Up north in Ely or International Falls, that's a different animal altogether. Or even in the Dakotas.

There was an awesome blog post written by someone living in Alaska when the temperatures got down to -60 degF (maybe even as low as -80 degF). The one thing I still remember is that he said you had to be careful at those temperatures because the tires on your car can shatter unexpectedly.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I mean, he's not wrong under the vast majority of conditions. Obviously if you have 100% humidity at -100 degF and it drops to -125 degF, it's going to snow as the moisture in the air falls out. It's not going to be very much snow, but it's going to snow in some form.
                      I just remember a few years back when we had an arctic blast of winter that lasted for a week or so. In the middle of that arctic blast we received some snow. The meteorologists were all on the air explaining that the old axiom "too cold to snow" is simply not a real thing. While it's rare to get snow during -20F weather, it's not impossible, and that there is a history of it.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Honestly, it wasn't even that bad in the Twin Cities. Up north in Ely or International Falls, that's a different animal altogether. Or even in the Dakotas.
                        There's a big gap in the "this is too cold for people" spectrum between traditionally warm and cold places because in the latter people are prepared. When they go out in South Carolina when it's 25 in their normal winter clothes they genuinely are too cold, because they've got at most a long sleeve shirt and maybe a crappy raincoat. In Ithaca you've got layers and a good hat and warm gloves, so even at -10 you're not happy but you're doing OK.

Plus, they never learn what I learned my first winter in Ithaca trudging up Libe Slope in a f-cking lateral snow storm: the Paul Atreides Technique. Don't stiffen up but let the cold just pass through you like you're not there. Relaxing into the frigid cold was highly counter-intuitive when I first thought to do it, but it's my secret, anyway: don't fight the cold; join it.*

This has been your Moment of Zen.

* Though this may also be how people die of hypothermia.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-04-2018, 09:24 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I just remember a few years back when we had an arctic blast of winter that lasted for a week or so. In the middle of that arctic blast we received some snow. The meteorologists were all on the air explaining that the old axiom "too cold to snow" is simply not a real thing. While it's rare to get snow during -20F weather, it's not impossible, and that there is a history of it.
                          I thought "too cold for snow" was really about a lack of humidity. There are temperatures which can't support enough water vapor to form snow. But that could be a complete myth.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

There was an awesome blog post written by someone living in Alaska when the temperatures got down to -60 degF (maybe even as low as -80 degF). The one thing I still remember is that he said you had to be careful at those temperatures because the tires on your car can shatter unexpectedly.
                            Eh, it was bad here. My dog fell over trying to do her business and can’t say I blame her.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              There's a big gap in the "this is too cold for people" spectrum between traditionally warm and cold places because in the latter people are prepared. When they go out in South Carolina when it's 25 in their normal winter clothes they genuinely are too cold, because they've got at most a long sleeve shirt and maybe a crappy raincoat. In Ithaca you've got layers and a good hat and warm gloves, so even at -10 you're not happy but you're doing OK.

Plus, they never learn what I learned my first winter in Ithaca trudging up Libe Slope in a f-cking lateral snow storm: the Paul Atreides Technique. Don't stiffen up but let the cold just pass through you like you're not there. Relaxing into the frigid cold was highly counter-intuitive when I first thought to do it, but it's my secret, anyway: don't fight the cold; join it.*

This has been your Moment of Zen.

* Though this may also be how people die of hypothermia.
                              Didn't Twain say something like "The coldest winter in my life was a summer in San Francisco?"

Having lived three years in a log cabin at the top of the Santa Cruz Mountains not far from the City, I can say that 35 damp and windy degrees often felt like zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Didn't Twain say something like "The coldest winter in my life was a summer in San Francisco?"

Having lived three years in a log cabin at the top of the Santa Cruz Mountains not far from the City, I can say that 35 damp and windy degrees often felt like zero.
                                were you writing a manifesto?
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X