Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 399

Thread: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

  1. #181

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,143

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Heater tape? Wrap it around the pipe in question and it keeps it from freezing.

    Sounds like you need 2. Good luck!!!

  2. #182
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,122

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Heater tape? Wrap it around the pipe in question and it keeps it from freezing.

    Sounds like you need 2. Good luck!!!
    Sounds to me like the frozen hot water pipe isn't in the closet where the cold froze

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  3. #183

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,982

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    That's my fear too, that it froze somewhere under the house right were it ducks back under the house. The crawlspace isn't too spacious at that point, so it's going to be difficult to get to.

  4. #184
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,976

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Iím glad my water comes in well underground. Comes up through my basement floor. Buried quite deep.

    Good luck man. Iíve seen blow torches used at work to unfreeze pipes.

  5. #185
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,122

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    That's my fear too, that it froze somewhere under the house right were it ducks back under the house. The crawlspace isn't too spacious at that point, so it's going to be difficult to get to.
    It should be, if you had a space heater in there and cold thawed out and hot froze. It isnt frozen where space heater is

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,838

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iím glad my water comes in well underground. Comes up through my basement floor. Buried quite deep.

    Good luck man. Iíve seen blow torches used at work to unfreeze pipes.
    A couple of winters ago our city requested that people leave some faucets running just a little during a deep cold spell (lasted about a month). They did not charge for additional water use. I guess it was their best defense against their own underground pipes freezing. Don't recall that ever being necessary before-here at least.

  7. #187
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,976

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Itís amazing how much flow will do to prevent freezing. We had an above ground 8Ē pipe effectively gravity fed at work that we werenít even going to insulate. 55 degree water flowing through it almost constantly. To freeze the pipe would have taken a major event.

    In the end though we insulated and heat traced it just to satisfy a few people who didnít trust the math.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,982

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Hot water works finally. (*knock on wood*, *rub a redhead*, *[insert good luck charm here]*)

    Adjusted the existing heat tape cord, repositioned the space heater, and prayed the water closet stays warm enough tonight. Minus 16 predicted overnight, we're 20+ degrees below the average for this time of year.

    Also, letting the faucets drip.


    I didn't give any thought to letting the line drip NYE, as we were gone for a week over Christmas when this cold snap started and everything was fine. Years of living in the UP, so I'm aware of tricks I need to do, but a lot of these Chicagoland suburbs aren't built like homes in the UP.


    I haven't seen a cold snap like this in Chicago since four years ago. That was before we bought our house, so I wasn't sure what to expect.


    So far though, it looks like we're lucky this time. Gotta get through this next week.

  9. #189
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    111,531

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Hot water works finally. (*knock on wood*, *rub a redhead*, *[insert good luck charm here]*)

    Adjusted the existing heat tape cord, repositioned the space heater, and prayed the water closet stays warm enough tonight. Minus 16 predicted overnight, we're 20+ degrees below the average for this time of year.

    Also, letting the faucets drip.


    I didn't give any thought to letting the line drip NYE, as we were gone for a week over Christmas when this cold snap started and everything was fine. Years of living in the UP, so I'm aware of tricks I need to do, but a lot of these Chicagoland suburbs aren't built like homes in the UP.


    I haven't seen a cold snap like this in Chicago since four years ago. That was before we bought our house, so I wasn't sure what to expect.


    So far though, it looks like we're lucky this time. Gotta get through this next week.
    As for MPLS, coldest week since 1886 or so. Yeah.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #190

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,982
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Good luck man. Iíve seen blow torches used at work to unfreeze pipes.
    I've seen stick welders, both 220 plug and trailer mounted generator stick welders used. Just set 'em to the lowest setting.

    No one in this area had one, or knew of anyone with one. Figured a quick half hour shot to the supply line this morning would have done the trick. Note to self, put "Lincoln Stick Welder" and "220 Service to the Garage" on the Christmas list next year.

  11. #191
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,976

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    As for MPLS, coldest week since 1886 or so. Yeah.
    Iím not sure I buy that. Source?

  12. #192
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    111,531

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iím not sure I buy that. Source?
    Tried to look it up, couldn't find the link I saw. According to the link the average temp was -3, as opposed to -3.6 in 1886, and 3rd place was -4.2, or close to that temp. Going by memory right now. I'm disappointed I can't link it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  13. #193
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,122

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I've seen stick welders, both 220 plug and trailer mounted generator stick welders used. Just set 'em to the lowest setting.

    No one in this area had one, or knew of anyone with one. Figured a quick half hour shot to the supply line this morning would have done the trick. Note to self, put "Lincoln Stick Welder" and "220 Service to the Garage" on the Christmas list next year.
    That works, used it on underground conduits before. But on house piping it causes fires also. Lot of liability. Good luck keep thawed out.
    Coldest week here since early 70s. I don't remember a stretch this cold.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  14. #194

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,143

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Something is happening along the East Coast midweek.

    Last edited by joecct; 01-02-2018 at 10:34 AM.

  15. #195

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    56,189

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Something is happening along the East Coast midweek.
    Hadn't heard about snow, but the reports I saw were that temps would be from 20 to 30 degrees colder than normal on Thursday. Reston forecast has single digit lows for Thu-Sat and highs under 20 for Fri-Sat.

    I assume this means it will be 80 below in central Maine.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  16. #196
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,122

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Hadn't heard about snow, but the reports I saw were that temps would be from 20 to 30 degrees colder than normal on Thursday. Reston forecast has single digit lows for Thu-Sat and highs under 20 for Fri-Sat.

    I assume this means it will be 80 below in central Maine.
    20 below for more than a week at night, single digits or less during day.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  17. #197
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,966

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    There must not be any global warming.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,161

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    We are above the doughnut In I donít know how long. Of course we have to have 15-20 mph winds to go along with it.

  19. #199

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    32,143

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Simulated IR on the latest GFS from tropicaltidbits.com shows our deepening low skirting awfully close to the east coast through the week. A wintercane in the making. Hurricane force winds expected... somewhere. Lots of action brewing to watch out for. www.spaghettimodels.com / www.mikesweatherpage.com / Mikes Weather Page APP

  20. #200
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,790

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    I need to lubricate my garage door's spring. The automatic garage door opener only gets a few inches off the ground before it stops. Right now I have to hit the opener's button and pull up a little on the door for it to fully open. It's likely due to the spring being too cold and needing some lube. I have some lithium-based lube at home, and used it this past fall, but must not have done a very good job of getting the whole spring covered. The lubing shall commence at the end of the week.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •