Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    You just love trotting out the weather terrorist line.
    And you love being a little contrarian beech.

Check out your boy bbdl's post. Huh.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Check out your boy bbdl's post. Huh.
      Uh, what?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Sorry, got bigger things on my mind right now. Sincerely.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I've seen plenty of stupid Facebook posts saying possible 20". None of them use an actual weather agency as a source. Fake news that I'm sure grocery and department stores love.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            I've seen plenty of stupid Facebook posts saying possible 20". None of them use an actual weather agency as a source. Fake news that I'm sure grocery and department stores love.
            That might have been it. No way it's happening.

Comment

Never taunt the weather gods.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Uh, what?
                You heard him. I'm your boy.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

😆
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Good stuff from Johnathan Yuhas:
                    I have had a few emails about this today and want to address this issue. First it is really irresponsible and not helpful to anyone when people post raw weather computer model information. The downside of social media is all the garbage that is out there. One of my FB friends was kind enough to send me this graphic pic 1 of the GFS model showing a historic snowfall for much of MN. The second pic ( pic 2 ) is the later GFS run of snow which is much less snowfall and I can tell you future runs will continue to show less and less snowfall.

This is an example to show how this works - if the temp is above 32 degrees the model will show 1" of rain and if below 32 degrees it will show 12" of snow. The models are showing over 1.5" of moisture for MN this Saturday but is it really going to be below 32 degrees and this all snow most likely no. One week ago on Sunday April 1 one of the most reliable models was showing 12" of snow for MSP on April 8 and 1.3" actually fell on April 8. The take away is catch the updated forecast but the odds for 12" of snow on Saturday in MSP are about 10% or less.

Get your weather from the National Weather Service or a reliable media source in TV or radio.

Jonathan Yuhas
                    Picture 1: Link
                    Picture 2: Link
                    Code:

Comment

Good stuff from Johnathan Yuhas:

Picture 1: Link
                      Picture 2: Link
                      So you're saying there's a chance!

edit: How have they not figured out to put some kind of gradient into the models right around 32 degrees F? Seems like an easy fix.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Is it just me or are both pictures the same?
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

crap. I think I copied the wrong link. It's on his facebook page. I suppose if you're super interested, you can look it up
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            So you're saying there's a chance!

edit: How have they not figured out to put some kind of gradient into the models right around 32 degrees F? Seems like an easy fix.
                            I'm guessing that's way more complex than you or I realize. The hardware these run on are usually the who's who of super computers. At least 10% of the worlds top 100 supercomputers are devoted to weather. There are definitely more since only their names aren't easily identifiable.
                            https://www.top500.org/list/2017/11/
                            Code:

Comment

I'm guessing that's way more complex than you or I realize. The hardware these run on are usually the who's who of super computers. At least 10% of the worlds top 100 supercomputers are devoted to weather. There are definitely more since only their names aren't easily identifiable.
                              https://www.top500.org/list/2017/11/
                              Still seems like adding a tolerance of some kind would be fairly easy programming, but I'm not a computer programmer so I have no idea.

I was just thinking, if the model is calling for 30 degrees, turn that into 50% chance it is 30 degrees, 20% chance it is 31 degrees, 20% chance it is 29 degrees, 5% chance it is 32 degrees, 5% chance it is 28 degrees, then average. This way, you take into account that they won't be exactly correct with their projections, and it softens the blow of the cliff event at 32 degrees F.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Northern Maine is reporting Snowmobiling is fantastic, mid January conditions. Yesterday was below 0, this morning 8f. Feet of snow on the trails. its bare here
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X