Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 802

Thread: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

  1. #241

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,844
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Just replaced a solenoid on my generator and made sure it starts now. Itís supposed to get windy here on the coast (Iím on Mount Desert Island, just off the coast of Maine). Weíre projected to get 12-16Ē of snow and gusts of 60+ mph
    Waves? Tides?

    THUNDERSNOW???!!!!
    Last edited by joecct; 01-03-2018 at 10:37 PM.

  2. #242
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    #300daysofsunshine
    Posts
    17,915

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Your Boston forecast, ladies and gentlemen.

    http://www.newnownext.com/gay-news-a...ewart/01/2018/
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy.

  3. #243
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    3,782

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    The good news about the blizzard is it warmed up today. I wore my light jacket today; it was 12F when I got to work. It felt pretty nice. My face didnít hurt on my walk in. Eventually it got up to the high 20s. After we get dumped on itís supposed to drop back down to zero (real, not with wind chill) for the weekend (when I want to be out skiing in the new snow)

  4. #244
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,572

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    The good news about the blizzard is it warmed up today. I wore my light jacket today; it was 12F when I got to work. It felt pretty nice. My face didnít hurt on my walk in. Eventually it got up to the high 20s. After we get dumped on itís supposed to drop back down to zero (real, not with wind chill) for the weekend (when I want to be out skiing in the new snow)
    It is possible to be too cold to snow. Weird, huh?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #245
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,524

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Today was gorgeous out. Did a quick swing outside to check on an installation when I was down at the plant. The sun felt so good. It was totally bearable without a jacket even though there was a breeze and it was single digits.

  6. #246
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,572

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Today was gorgeous out. Did a quick swing outside to check on an installation when I was down at the plant. The sun felt so good. It was totally bearable without a jacket even though there was a breeze and it was single digits.
    A bit windy on the west side where I am, but yeah, that sun helped.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #247
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    This startribune headline confirms what Brent said :

    The deep-freeze free-fall that began Christmas Day made the final week of 2017 in the Twin Cities the coldest in 132 years with an average temperature of 3 below zero.
    Wow. You don't see that very often. (Brent being right, I mean.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It is possible to be too cold to snow. Weird, huh?
    Case in point...



    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  8. #248

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,367

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    "Cold for Minnesota" is a pretty scary thought.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  9. #249
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,524

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Case in point...
    I mean, he's not wrong under the vast majority of conditions. Obviously if you have 100% humidity at -100 degF and it drops to -125 degF, it's going to snow as the moisture in the air falls out. It's not going to be very much snow, but it's going to snow in some form.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    "Cold for Minnesota" is a pretty scary thought.
    Honestly, it wasn't even that bad in the Twin Cities. Up north in Ely or International Falls, that's a different animal altogether. Or even in the Dakotas.

    There was an awesome blog post written by someone living in Alaska when the temperatures got down to -60 degF (maybe even as low as -80 degF). The one thing I still remember is that he said you had to be careful at those temperatures because the tires on your car can shatter unexpectedly.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  10. #250
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I mean, he's not wrong under the vast majority of conditions. Obviously if you have 100% humidity at -100 degF and it drops to -125 degF, it's going to snow as the moisture in the air falls out. It's not going to be very much snow, but it's going to snow in some form.
    I just remember a few years back when we had an arctic blast of winter that lasted for a week or so. In the middle of that arctic blast we received some snow. The meteorologists were all on the air explaining that the old axiom "too cold to snow" is simply not a real thing. While it's rare to get snow during -20F weather, it's not impossible, and that there is a history of it.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  11. #251

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,367

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Honestly, it wasn't even that bad in the Twin Cities. Up north in Ely or International Falls, that's a different animal altogether. Or even in the Dakotas.
    There's a big gap in the "this is too cold for people" spectrum between traditionally warm and cold places because in the latter people are prepared. When they go out in South Carolina when it's 25 in their normal winter clothes they genuinely are too cold, because they've got at most a long sleeve shirt and maybe a crappy raincoat. In Ithaca you've got layers and a good hat and warm gloves, so even at -10 you're not happy but you're doing OK.

    Plus, they never learn what I learned my first winter in Ithaca trudging up Libe Slope in a f-cking lateral snow storm: the Paul Atreides Technique. Don't stiffen up but let the cold just pass through you like you're not there. Relaxing into the frigid cold was highly counter-intuitive when I first thought to do it, but it's my secret, anyway: don't fight the cold; join it.*

    This has been your Moment of Zen.

    * Though this may also be how people die of hypothermia.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  12. #252

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,367

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just remember a few years back when we had an arctic blast of winter that lasted for a week or so. In the middle of that arctic blast we received some snow. The meteorologists were all on the air explaining that the old axiom "too cold to snow" is simply not a real thing. While it's rare to get snow during -20F weather, it's not impossible, and that there is a history of it.
    I thought "too cold for snow" was really about a lack of humidity. There are temperatures which can't support enough water vapor to form snow. But that could be a complete myth.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  13. #253
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I mean, he's not wrong under the vast majority of conditions. Obviously if you have 100% humidity at -100 degF and it drops to -125 degF, it's going to snow as the moisture in the air falls out. It's not going to be very much snow, but it's going to snow in some form.



    Honestly, it wasn't even that bad in the Twin Cities. Up north in Ely or International Falls, that's a different animal altogether. Or even in the Dakotas.

    There was an awesome blog post written by someone living in Alaska when the temperatures got down to -60 degF (maybe even as low as -80 degF). The one thing I still remember is that he said you had to be careful at those temperatures because the tires on your car can shatter unexpectedly.
    Eh, it was bad here. My dog fell over trying to do her business and canít say I blame her.

  14. #254
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,100

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    There's a big gap in the "this is too cold for people" spectrum between traditionally warm and cold places because in the latter people are prepared. When they go out in South Carolina when it's 25 in their normal winter clothes they genuinely are too cold, because they've got at most a long sleeve shirt and maybe a crappy raincoat. In Ithaca you've got layers and a good hat and warm gloves, so even at -10 you're not happy but you're doing OK.

    Plus, they never learn what I learned my first winter in Ithaca trudging up Libe Slope in a f-cking lateral snow storm: the Paul Atreides Technique. Don't stiffen up but let the cold just pass through you like you're not there. Relaxing into the frigid cold was highly counter-intuitive when I first thought to do it, but it's my secret, anyway: don't fight the cold; join it.*

    This has been your Moment of Zen.

    * Though this may also be how people die of hypothermia.
    Didn't Twain say something like "The coldest winter in my life was a summer in San Francisco?"

    Having lived three years in a log cabin at the top of the Santa Cruz Mountains not far from the City, I can say that 35 damp and windy degrees often felt like zero.

  15. #255
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,334
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Didn't Twain say something like "The coldest winter in my life was a summer in San Francisco?"

    Having lived three years in a log cabin at the top of the Santa Cruz Mountains not far from the City, I can say that 35 damp and windy degrees often felt like zero.
    were you writing a manifesto?

  16. #256
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    framingham, ma
    Posts
    5,296

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    The good news about the blizzard is it warmed up today. I wore my light jacket today; it was 12F when I got to work. It felt pretty nice. My face didnít hurt on my walk in. Eventually it got up to the high 20s. After we get dumped on itís supposed to drop back down to zero (real, not with wind chill) for the weekend (when I want to be out skiing in the new snow)
    Some weird situations in Boston area due to the blizzard following extremely cold weather. We've got "slurpee waves" and ice shrapnel. Needless to say, there are folks out sightseeing and surfing.

  17. #257
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,100

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    were you writing a manifesto?
    I was better at cutting wood than writing.

  18. #258
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,524

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Plus, they never learn what I learned my first winter in Ithaca trudging up Libe Slope in a f-cking lateral snow storm: the Paul Atreides Technique. Don't stiffen up but let the cold just pass through you like you're not there. Relaxing into the frigid cold was highly counter-intuitive when I first thought to do it, but it's my secret, anyway: don't fight the cold; join it.*

    This has been your Moment of Zen.

    * Though this may also be how people die of hypothermia.
    That's exactly what I do. Just relax and let it go. I have no idea if it's complete bullsh|t, but if I had to guess it has to do with your muscles tensing up and your blood being restricted. Doesn't give a chance for your body to heat itself.

    I think your comment at the end probably isn't too far from the truth either.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  19. #259
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,524

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just remember a few years back when we had an arctic blast of winter that lasted for a week or so. In the middle of that arctic blast we received some snow. The meteorologists were all on the air explaining that the old axiom "too cold to snow" is simply not a real thing. While it's rare to get snow during -20F weather, it's not impossible, and that there is a history of it.
    That's exactly right. Air can hold an asston of water. But it decreases exponentially as you approach absolute zero. I think at around -20 or -30 you can hold something like .2 lb of water per x,000 cubic feet of air. That might not be a lot relative to water capacity at 100 degF, but it's still something. The biggest thing is that you also have strata of air pockets. Look at a sounding diagram and you can see that the air above the ground can be warmer and more humid than the surface temperature. As the strata mix or exchange energy and water, snow can easily happen even if you're at a very low surface humidity.

    More on soundings: Link

    ETA: This is why I have learned to really like advanced weather sites that go beyond "Here's our custom 'Feels Like' temperature that scales from 'It's a *** bit nipply' to 'Oh dear...'"

    Shut up and give me the numbers. A good way to know a good site from a bad site is whether they give you humidity in relative humidity or dewpoint. If you get RH, find a new site.

    There are also more advanced variables like CAPE, lifted index, CIN, and many more that can give you a far better idea of what's coming and the potential than "Looks like ran, Hal"
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-04-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  20. #260
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That's exactly right. Air can hold an asston of water. But it decreases exponentially as you approach absolute zero. I think at around -20 or -30 you can hold something like .2 lb of water per x,000 cubic feet of air. That might not be a lot relative to water capacity at 100 degF, but it's still something. The biggest thing is that you also have strata of air pockets. Look at a sounding diagram and you can see that the air above the ground can be warmer and more humid than the surface temperature. As the strata mix or exchange energy and water, snow can easily happen even if you're at a very low surface humidity.

    More on soundings: Link

    ETA: This is why I have learned to really like advanced weather sites that go beyond "Here's our custom 'Feels Like' temperature that scales from 'It's a *** bit nipply' to 'Oh dear...'"

    Shut up and give me the numbers. A good way to know a good site from a bad site is whether they give you humidity in relative humidity or dewpoint. If you get RH, find a new site.

    There are also more advanced variables like CAPE, lifted index, CIN, and many more that can give you a far better idea of what's coming and the potential than "Looks like ran, Hal"
    What sites do you use? It used to be you could get the raw numbers from the news broadcasts and newspapers, but they've dumbed down their content over the past 20 years.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •