Page 1 of 41 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 802

Thread: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,449

    Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Snow is in the forecast. May our backs be strong, our snow blowers functional, and our plows unbroken.

  2. #2
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,275

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Supposed to be 40F on Friday with 50% chance of precip. Maybe we'll see a few snow flakes.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,449

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Looks like the Tug Hill Plateau (east of Lake Ontario) is looking at 10-18" this week.

    On a related note. As most of you know, I'm 62 and have 100' x 15' driveway. Being in the DC area large snows are a once in 7 years occurrence, but when they happen, they're whoppers.

    I'm debating on a snowblower, but figure I won't need it most winters, but when we get 6" or more, it would be wonderful. I'm thinking of a 22" Craftsman. Anyone have a snowblower and what would you recommend.

  4. #4
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,862

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    It's 59F in Minneapolis right now. Tomorrow's prediction for this same hour is 19F and lots of wind. This will be...something.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,348

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Looks like the Tug Hill Plateau (east of Lake Ontario) is looking at 10-18" this week.

    On a related note. As most of you know, I'm 62 and have 100' x 15' driveway. Being in the DC area large snows are a once in 7 years occurrence, but when they happen, they're whoppers.

    I'm debating on a snowblower, but figure I won't need it most winters, but when we get 6" or more, it would be wonderful. I'm thinking of a 22" Craftsman. Anyone have a snowblower and what would you recommend.
    Just stay in.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  6. #6
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    18,718

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I'm debating on a snowblower, but figure I won't need it most winters, but when we get 6" or more, it would be wonderful. I'm thinking of a 22" Craftsman. Anyone have a snowblower and what would you recommend.
    In the DC area, by buying a snowblower, you personally are assuring there will be no snow in the entire area for the lifetime of the snowblower.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,011
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    In the DC area, by buying a snowblower, you personally are assuring there will be no snow in the entire area for the lifetime of the snowblower.
    That sounds like $400 well spent to me.



    I'm pretty sure I've been playing with house money in Chicagoland by not buying a snowblower for my house. Only needed to shovel the driveway a dozen times the last two years, not sure if I can gamble a third successful winter in row (but I'm gonna try!).

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,449
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    In the DC area, by buying a snowblower, you personally are assuring there will be no snow in the entire area for the lifetime of the snowblower.
    After numerous day long power outages, I bought a whole house generator.


    Yup. Next to no long power outages since and those for less than 2 hours.

  9. #9
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Pretty sure mine is a 22" Airens.


    Bought it in '10 or so when we moved to a new house coz I couldn't just borrow the neighbor's anymore when we got dumped on.

    Light snows I don't even bother as I can shovel pretty quick, but when we get dumped on...


    Worth.

    Every.

    Penny.


    About $700 iirc

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Pretty sure mine is a 22" Airens.


    Bought it in '10 or so when we moved to a new house coz I couldn't just borrow the neighbor's anymore when we got dumped on.

    Light snows I don't even bother as I can shovel pretty quick, but when we get dumped on...


    Worth.

    Every.

    Penny.


    About $700 iirc
    And Ariens last forever.

  11. #11
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    In other weather related news, got out on a stream on Saturday and fished wading for 4+ hours... in December... in Wisconsin.

    Gorgeous day and only had a hoodie on.


    Don't get me wrong, I was out for the opener in January and it was -2 - didn't wade that day, fished from the banks.

    I go out in any weather, but it was really nice to not have to layer up.


    Got over a dozen brownies too.

    Glorious day.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-04-2017 at 04:27 PM.

  12. #12
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    And Ariens last forever.
    So far...

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,348

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    And Ariens last forever.
    But enough about Trump.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  14. #14
    Kicizapi Cetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    14,302

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's 59F in Minneapolis right now. Tomorrow's prediction for this same hour is 19F and lots of wind. This will be...something.
    It's firing up in the Red River Valley right now. We'll ship it down I-94 for you.

    Here's a preview of the frosty goodness coming your way.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-04-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    In other weather related news, got out on a stream on Saturday and fished wading for 4+ hours... in December... in Wisconsin.

    Gorgeous day and only had a hoodie on.


    Don't get me wrong, I was out for the opener in January and it was -2 - didn't wade that day, fished from the banks.

    I got out in any weather, but it was really nice to not have to layer up.


    Got over a dozen brownies too.

    Glorious day.
    Which county, Gurth?

  16. #16
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,871

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's 59F in Minneapolis right now. Tomorrow's prediction for this same hour is 19F and lots of wind. This will be...something.
    We are supposed to get that crap by the weekend. It was sunny and 40s today, great working on lighting on south side of building.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  17. #17
    Kicizapi Cetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    14,302

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Ten days ago it was 74 degrees F in Bismarck, ND.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  18. #18
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    36,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Pretty sure mine is a 22" Airens.


    Bought it in '10 or so when we moved to a new house coz I couldn't just borrow the neighbor's anymore when we got dumped on.

    Light snows I don't even bother as I can shovel pretty quick, but when we get dumped on...


    Worth.

    Every.

    Penny.


    About $700 iirc
    Ditto on the Ariens. Got mine New Years Eve a couple years ago. 4 days later we got about 20. I think I spent about $500 on mine. Also bought the electric start, because I do NOT have a sense of humor when its 10 degrees out and I have to pull on the **** thing to start it.
    Last edited by Hammer; 12-04-2017 at 04:03 PM.

  19. #19
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Which county, Gurth?

    Green. Between my house and the Illinois border.

    Actual trout streams are closed until 1/7, but there is a fair amount of unclassified water south of me and some of it holds trout.

    And smallies, channels, walleye and northern.


    I (trout) fish up your way a little sometimes - in the Baraboo Ridge and also southwest of you.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-04-2017 at 04:20 PM.

  20. #20
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Ditto on the Ariens. Got mine New Years Eve a couple years ago. 4 days later we got about 20”. I think I spent about $500 on mine. Also bought the electric start, because I do NOT have a sense of humor when it’s 10 degrees out and I have to pull on the **** thing to start it.

    Oh yeah... electric starter is key.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •