• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by phb View Post
    If a little nostalgia is allowed....

Was getting caught up on the threads. In the one now locked, Greg wrote:

"Now my top wins:
    January, 1972 - UNH vs. Harvard at Snively. Harvard came in as #1 in the country, with Joe Bertagna in net. Great, great game, with Guy Smith getting the OT winner. Found out several years later from Charlie Holt that Smith had kicked it in but the refs (only two back then) missed it."

Watching that game was electric. If that goal had been disallowed, the roof would have come off. We had a great impromptu keg party back at the dorm. God, that was a great time to be in school. :-)
    Scoprpio's should be in the Durham register of historic places.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      And the Down Under Pub?

Comment

Yup. Too bad they demo-ed it. 😡
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          And the Down Under Pub?
          Are you talking about Plymouth? Great memories...I think
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Turns out some teams that we have played this season are not the cupcakes that we thought they were, at least based on RPI, SOS, and PWR at the moment. For example, Colgate, Colorado College, UML, and UMass-Flagship. Agreed, UVM and Yale have confirmed their cupcake status, as have several teams that we will be playing in the next stretch. For example, RPI, Army, Mac, Dartmouth, Yale (again; yay MS35+5!), and Brown. Yes, all six cupcakes, at least based on RPI, SOS, and PWR.
            I don't think anyone expected a sweep over UML - they're a good team, but timing is everything. Same goes for getting Colgate without Colton Point - take a look at the difference he has made on the team the past couple years. It would be best for the US WJC team if they could tab him as the starter over Woll or Oettinger (unfortunately, bureaucracy may prevent him from being on the team altogether). CC has lost 5 of 7, lets see where they are when the season is over and their early season 3-1 start versus UVM and UAA carries less weight. UMass is improved. I knew they would be - UNH is still much better.

I suppose it depends on your definition of Cupcake. Personally, I don't like the word. I look at the schedule as who is UNH better than and who is better than them. If UNH is better I expect them to win. They are the better team in each of the next six games and then nine of the final 14 games. They wont win all 15 of the games I think they should, but if they can win most of them and steal a game from the unexpected pile they'll be in a good position. We'll see what the strength of schedule is by the end of the year. I don't expect it will be top-30. As a result, they've been/will be the better team in most of their games this year. Unlike last season, the results are following. Which is a good thing.

As for this upcoming stretch - do not sleep on Army. I saw them take Air Force apart out here in the Springs. Army is a good team. I think the best team they'll face over the next six games and a team very capable of winning at the Whitt...

Also, are you saying that our idiotic 5-3 PP is Souza's doing? If so, we are doomed!
            Unless something changed this season, Souza should still be running the PP. He is creative and does a good job designing PPs that fit the personnel available to him. In Scott Borek's final season running the PP, UNH scored at a rate of 16.5% (26 PP goals). In Souza's three seasons in charge they've turned out the following...

2015/16 - 24% (37)
            2016/17 - 21% (41)
            2017/18 - 19% (11)

Now, some of that is personnel (and there is a downward trend). For example, in 2015/16 UNH had both Poturalski and Kelleher playing on the first unit. But, I do think Souza has done a nice job being flexible and creative with PP design. That first season he let Poturalski and Kelleher take turns freelancing in the zone, he let them switch places and move in a two-man game while looking for shooting opportunities or passing lanes. It was really effective. Last season he played a modified umbrella with the two wings shifting lower into one-time positions, while Kelleher had free reign to move and circle the zone looking for chances. It was fun to watch.

This season, he rightly saw defensemen Gildon, Marks, Wyse and Maass as his best PP pieces and built the strategy around them. Their ability to get shots through to the net (especially Gildon) is a real weapon and UNH has scored most of their PP goals on deflections or screened shots. I also like the 5X3 look - which is new this year. The two players behind the net can get the goalie moving, create difficulties for him in viewing the puck and set up shooters like Gildon or Salvaggio out front. The PP was red-hot to start the year...

The issue this season, if I can get negative (and agree with your concern) for a second, is that opponents have adjusted. On the 5X4 they're being more aggressive on the point men - taking away shooting lanes. On the 5X3 opponents have (as you noted) started to expand their triangle to take away the players out front, knowing they can collapse if the players behind the net move to the crease. UNH definitely needs alternate PP looks to keep defenses honest and to adjust to adjustments. Thats the one thing they haven't done in Souza's tenure - throw multiple looks at PKs in the same game/season. They need to this year as they are currently on a 1-for-25 stretch (4%). The PP started the season at 31%. Opponents have also done a good job making zone entry difficult for UNH in recent PPs. Its definitely time for Souza to make an in-season adjustment or addition to the PP arsenal, lets see if they do it. I like the PP's they have in the bag, but mixing in different looks makes sense to me...

Denver runs a modified umbrella that I call a 'cross' look (essentially a 1-3-1). UNH could run a really effective version of this with a top-PP unit featuring Gildon, McNicholas, Salvaggio, Grasso and Eiserman/Vela. Gildon would play the point and run the PP, either looking for shots through to the net or facilitating to the wings. Grasso and McNicholas would play on the wings, attacking the PK with their feet, playmaking ability or one-timers. They'd both excel in this position and at the same time, spread the box to create lanes for Gildon. Eiserman or Vela would park themselves at the top of the crease to set screens and deflect shots and passes on net (Eiserman is a bigger body, Vela is great on the deflection). They can also drift below the goal line and then create scoring chances low to high from behind the net. Salvaggio would play in the high slot and set the lynch pin of the cross - he would give UNH a chance for deflections up high, provide a second screen and also (most importantly) be available with his big shot to take passes from the wings or from down low in prime scoring chances. Its a hard set-up to defend because there are so many options...

If UNH could slip in and out of looks - even within the same units - they could be more dangerous. Thoughts?
            Last edited by Dan; 12-05-2017, 10:16 AM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Back in the day they used to give out the end of season awards on the ice following the final home game. Still remember Bob Miller saying something to the effect of "move this thing along...we've got to get to Scorps"
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Thanks for the responses on the longevity of OT in regular season college hockey. I know the NHL adopted it in the early '80's after having eliminated it in the WW2 years. Not for the first (or last) time, it appears the college game was onto something that it took the pros many years to catch up on. FWIW I do wish the NHL would eliminate the "bonus point" approach to OT, plus the shootout. I've never felt cheated or deprived of "resolution" in a tie game (regular season of course), but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, here are the updated NRN predictions to date. The cut-off date remains before the Army game this weekend:

1/06/18 vs. Brown @ home: Snively65, HockeyRef
                1/19/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: Dan a/k/a Mr. Negativity, in a positive mood
                1/26/18 vs. UConn @ home: Aerman
                2/03/18 vs. UMass @ home: WIS

Calling all Felger, Darius, scoreboard, e.cat, Greg, 'Watcher, sonar and others to chime in and join in the NRN fun!!
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  FWIW I do wish the NHL would eliminate the "bonus point" approach to OT, plus the shootout. I've never felt cheated or deprived of "resolution" in a tie game (regular season of course), but maybe that's just me.
                  Chuck it would be impossible for me to agree with you more.

I consider the idea that a team gets a point just for getting to overtime to be reprehensible. I am resigned, however, to the fact that it is merely symbolic of today's culture of entitlement. (You are probably tired of hearing it from dinosaurs like me, but I was exposed to UNH hockey at a time when more than half of the league didn't even make the playoffs. The league tourney was over in five days - it started on Tuesday and ended on Saturday. Now the leagues have significantly less teams and drag these so-called playoffs out over three weeks.)

Back to the NHL. What I hate even more about the bonus point is that it means that some games are worth two points, while others are worth three points. I believe this calls into question the integrity of the entire league standings. But just like the ECAC and HockeyEast aren't going back to a reputable tourney structure, I know the NHL isn't going back. They are keeping more teams alive for the postseason, at least conceptually.

What I would like to see is to give a bonus point to those teams that finish off their opponents in regulation and make EVERY game worth three points.
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Thanks for the responses on the longevity of OT in regular season college hockey. I know the NHL adopted it in the early '80's after having eliminated it in the WW2 years. Not for the first (or last) time, it appears the college game was onto something that it took the pros many years to catch up on. FWIW I do wish the NHL would eliminate the "bonus point" approach to OT, plus the shootout. I've never felt cheated or deprived of "resolution" in a tie game (regular season of course), but maybe that's just me.
                    Absolutely agree. Play a short overtime. Someone scores, they win. Otherwise...nothing wrong with a tie.

As to NRN, the optimist in me says 1/12 @ home vs BU; the pessimist says 1/26 @ home vs UConn. It's a beautiful day with palm tress swaying. I'm going with the rose-colored glasses. 1/12 vs BU

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      But, Dick doesn't deserve to get 600 wins, because, you know, he wears turtle necks, and, like, he lets them throw fish on the ice.
                      ...is Coach Mad-Again on this thread???
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Give me 1/19 @ Alfond for #600.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Are you talking about Plymouth? Great memories...I think
                          No the Down Under Pub on Main St in Durham. Still there albeit in a modified form. Loved the place! I remember going there when I was a frosh the weekend Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin and David Dillenger were at UNH. The line was out the freakin door as it always was. I was underage to drink and my friend said: "just walk in like you own the place." and it worked!

Check this out!

http://www.seacoastnh.com/arts/please042200.html
                          Last edited by e.cat; 12-05-2017, 03:39 PM.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Gildon will not make the U20 Championship team as he was not named to the preliminary roster. He is eligible again next year. BUs Krys is also unnamed. If you're a fringe defender I guess it pays to play in Bob Motzko's league as three UMD defensemen make the camp roster...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I don't think anyone expected a sweep over UML - they're a good team, but timing is everything. Same goes for getting Colgate without Colton Point - take a look at the difference he has made on the team the past couple years. It would be best for the US WJC team if they could tab him as the starter over Woll or Oettinger (unfortunately, bureaucracy may prevent him from being on the team altogether). CC has lost 5 of 7, lets see where they are when the season is over and their early season 3-1 start versus UVM and UAA carries less weight. UMass is improved. I knew they would be - UNH is still much better.

I suppose it depends on your definition of Cupcake. Personally, I don't like the word. I look at the schedule as who is UNH better than and who is better than them. If UNH is better I expect them to win. They are the better team in each of the next six games and then nine of the final 14 games. They wont win all 15 of the games I think they should, but if they can win most of them and steal a game from the unexpected pile they'll be in a good position. We'll see what the strength of schedule is by the end of the year. I don't expect it will be top-30. As a result, they've been/will be the better team in most of their games this year. Unlike last season, the results are following. Which is a good thing.

As for this upcoming stretch - do not sleep on Army. I saw them take Air Force apart out here in the Springs. Army is a good team. I think the best team they'll face over the next six games and a team very capable of winning at the Whitt...

Unless something changed this season, Souza should still be running the PP. He is creative and does a good job designing PPs that fit the personnel available to him. In Scott Borek's final season running the PP, UNH scored at a rate of 16.5% (26 PP goals). In Souza's three seasons in charge they've turned out the following...

2015/16 - 24% (37)
                              2016/17 - 21% (41)
                              2017/18 - 19% (11)

Now, some of that is personnel (and there is a downward trend). For example, in 2015/16 UNH had both Poturalski and Kelleher playing on the first unit. But, I do think Souza has done a nice job being flexible and creative with PP design. That first season he let Poturalski and Kelleher take turns freelancing in the zone, he let them switch places and move in a two-man game while looking for shooting opportunities or passing lanes. It was really effective. Last season he played a modified umbrella with the two wings shifting lower into one-time positions, while Kelleher had free reign to move and circle the zone looking for chances. It was fun to watch.

This season, he rightly saw defensemen Gildon, Marks, Wyse and Maass as his best PP pieces and built the strategy around them. Their ability to get shots through to the net (especially Gildon) is a real weapon and UNH has scored most of their PP goals on deflections or screened shots. I also like the 5X3 look - which is new this year. The two players behind the net can get the goalie moving, create difficulties for him in viewing the puck and set up shooters like Gildon or Salvaggio out front. The PP was red-hot to start the year...

The issue this season, if I can get negative (and agree with your concern) for a second, is that opponents have adjusted. On the 5X4 they're being more aggressive on the point men - taking away shooting lanes. On the 5X3 opponents have (as you noted) started to expand their triangle to take away the players out front, knowing they can collapse if the players behind the net move to the crease. UNH definitely needs alternate PP looks to keep defenses honest and to adjust to adjustments. Thats the one thing they haven't done in Souza's tenure - throw multiple looks at PKs in the same game/season. They need to this year as they are currently on a 1-for-25 stretch (4%). The PP started the season at 31%. Opponents have also done a good job making zone entry difficult for UNH in recent PPs. Its definitely time for Souza to make an in-season adjustment or addition to the PP arsenal, lets see if they do it. I like the PP's they have in the bag, but mixing in different looks makes sense to me...

Denver runs a modified umbrella that I call a 'cross' look (essentially a 1-3-1). UNH could run a really effective version of this with a top-PP unit featuring Gildon, McNicholas, Salvaggio, Grasso and Eiserman/Vela. Gildon would play the point and run the PP, either looking for shots through to the net or facilitating to the wings. Grasso and McNicholas would play on the wings, attacking the PK with their feet, playmaking ability or one-timers. They'd both excel in this position and at the same time, spread the box to create lanes for Gildon. Eiserman or Vela would park themselves at the top of the crease to set screens and deflect shots and passes on net (Eiserman is a bigger body, Vela is great on the deflection). They can also drift below the goal line and then create scoring chances low to high from behind the net. Salvaggio would play in the high slot and set the lynch pin of the cross - he would give UNH a chance for deflections up high, provide a second screen and also (most importantly) be available with his big shot to take passes from the wings or from down low in prime scoring chances. Its a hard set-up to defend because there are so many options...

If UNH could slip in and out of looks - even within the same units - they could be more dangerous. Thoughts?
                              Great analysis, as usual, Dan, especially on the UNH PP. I saw our two men behind the net on the 5-3 PP last year also, for over a minute, with equally poor results, that is no SOG, and I do not get to see even half of our games. The opposition's PK (Dartmouth?) was not buying it then, and PC was certainly not buying it on Saturday night. I think that it is a huge missed opportunity not to get even a single SOG with a 5-3 PP. The other thing about the UNH PP that I did not like on Saturday night is that there was typically only one PP unit (Gildon and Grasso on the points), even on one of the full two minute PPs, and the players were gassed early in the second minute. And, on a couple of occasions, the first PP unit had been on the bench less than 10 seconds before they out on the ice again. I could understand the fourth line and the third D pair not seeing a lot of ice time in a 1-0 game, although Boyd on the third D pair did get the only goal. I need to find the full box score with minutes of ice time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

2015/16 - 24% (37)
                                2016/17 - 21% (41)
                                2017/18 - 19% (11)

To your points on our PP play to date. I too like the 2 man behind the goal approach. It worked one the few times they tried last year and once earlier this year. Nothing worse for a goalie than having 2 uncovered men working behind the net. What I did not see was a lot of head and body moves to throw The Hawk or PC D-men off this weekend. you need to force the first move for this to work effectively.
                                Last year

I believe we started with a very high PP % the first half of the year. And then, like many things UNH, we settled into a good but not exceptional %. We often leave the first grouping out their a bit to long, granted it can be hard to change sometimes.

I would like to see a front with Eisermen, Vela, Blackburn and 3vR with Gildon on the moving point.

In terms of a date for Chuck? Humm, feels like 1/20 - second Alfond game.

A topic yet to be on this threads agenda is the DU Night! Only one real game after the UVM twin bill on 2/9&10. Not going to happen on 2/14. Will we see it on Senior night? Not sure how that feels to the seniors? Yes he does deserve a big send off but I like the opportunity to recognize the seniors.
                                What say you all?

Comment

Working...
                                X