• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

If a little nostalgia is allowed....

Was getting caught up on the threads. In the one now locked, Greg wrote:

"Now my top wins:
    January, 1972 - UNH vs. Harvard at Snively. Harvard came in as #1 in the country, with Joe Bertagna in net. Great, great game, with Guy Smith getting the OT winner. Found out several years later from Charlie Holt that Smith had kicked it in but the refs (only two back then) missed it."

Watching that game was electric. If that goal had been disallowed, the roof would have come off. We had a great impromptu keg party back at the dorm. God, that was a great time to be in school. :-)

Comment

(LEGAL &#128558 Keg parties in the dorm - that's nostalgia!

Oops - it didn't like my emoticon. Supposed to be an "oh my" kind of face.
      Last edited by Aerman; 12-04-2017, 05:15 PM.
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Of course, that means six in a row - or a seven game winning streak, including the PC win the other night.

For a program that majors in "dreadfully wrong", I think that's a mite optimistic, but I do hope you're right!!

Anyone else want in with a prediction on the game when Coach reaches the NRN?

"dreadfully wrong" could include positioning two players behind the opposing net during 5-3 power plays, as if Coach considers that a great opportunity to practice cycling the puck, while our other three players are covered one on one, and we record zero SOG.

I got all three of my desired emoticons, airman!

Comment

Nothing in my experience - regardless of the cupcakiness of the competition - allows for a seven game win streak. I predict the NRN occurs on January 26, 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            Nothing in my experience - regardless of the cupcakiness of the competition - allows for a seven game win streak. I predict the NRN occurs on January 26, 2018.
            They've done it before...in 2015 ran off 7, I mean 8 straight starting with BU (with Eichel) and up to our first play off game that year with PC. Swept UConn twice (haven't done that since, haven't beaten them since, Luce or no Luce ) swept MC as well in that run. So it's possible...prob not probable!

http://www.unhwildcats.com/cumestats...ckey&year=2014
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-04-2017, 05:43 PM.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by phb View Post
              If a little nostalgia is allowed....

Was getting caught up on the threads. In the one now locked, Greg wrote:

"Now my top wins:
              January, 1972 - UNH vs. Harvard at Snively. Harvard came in as #1 in the country, with Joe Bertagna in net. Great, great game, with Guy Smith getting the OT winner. Found out several years later from Charlie Holt that Smith had kicked it in but the refs (only two back then) missed it."

Watching that game was electric. If that goal had been disallowed, the roof would have come off. We had a great impromptu keg party back at the dorm. God, that was a great time to be in school. :-)
              Since 1972 is a couple of years before my time with college hockey, I gotta ask ... was there even OT in regular season games back then? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not like OT in regular season games is something that's been with hockey - college or pro - since the days of wooden sticks and wooden pucks. Just curious ...

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              I love it. "Cupcakiness". That's frickin' awesome (and FWIW it's why I don't see a 7 game UNH win streak either).

So here are the NRN predictions to date. I'll set the cut-off date to be before the Army game this weekend, just to make this sporting for all, and not shooting fish in a barrel ...

1/06/18 vs. Brown @ home: Snively65, HockeyRef
              1/26/18 vs. UConn @ home: Aerman
              2/03/18 vs. UMass @ home: WIS

Surprised no one has taken the "safety" yet and predicted Coach might not make it. Kinda like in the old "Price Is Right" game show, when you thought everyone else went over the actual price with their bids, and you scooped it with a $1 bid. I'm already the most pessimistic pick in the contest, which is probably not a huge surprise.

We need the really hard-core, negative-to-the-bone folks to chime in ... anyone hear from Dan recently?
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Since 1972 is a couple of years before my time with college hockey, I gotta ask ... was there even OT in regular season games back then? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not like OT in regular season games is something that's been with hockey - college or pro - since the days of wooden sticks and wooden pucks. Just curious ...

I love it. "Cupcakiness". That's frickin' awesome (and FWIW it's why I don't see a 7 game UNH win streak either).

So here are the NRN predictions to date. I'll set the cut-off date to be before the Army game this weekend, just to make this sporting for all, and not shooting fish in a barrel ...

1/06/18 vs. Brown @ home: Snively65, HockeyRef
                1/26/18 vs. UConn @ home: Aerman
                2/03/18 vs. UMass @ home: WIS

Surprised no one has taken the "safety" yet and predicted Coach might not make it. Kinda like in the old "Price Is Right" game show, when you thought everyone else went over the actual price with their bids, and you scooped it with a $1 bid. I'm already the most pessimistic pick in the contest, which is probably not a huge surprise.

We need the really hard-core, negative-to-the-bone folks to chime in ... anyone hear from Dan recently?
                Indeed, it has been over 30 hours.

And, Snively65 and HRef could be out of this contest in about 50 hours.
                Last edited by Snively65; 12-04-2017, 06:32 PM. Reason: another thought

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Indeed, it has been over 30 hours.

And, Snively65 and HRef could be out of this contest in about 50 hours.
                  Oh ye of little faith!!!!

Comment

)
                    You got me curious about memory, 2-1 score didn't seem quite right. According to Harvard paper it was in OT, but score was 4-3. I just remember the beer tasting good after the game.

Comment

I apologize for my delayed prediction!

While some of the more sensitive posters here may view my outlook as negative - I reject that notion and again state I am simply practical and objective. I am hardly BillB, and readily give the team, coaches and recruiters credit when things go well, even in areas others would disagree (Ie - Souza and the PP, Crookshank/Commesso, JVR and Umile the developmental coach). My posting style will always reflect what is going on in Wildcat-land through my own eyes...

That is why I'm certain the Wildcats will blow through this weak stretch of opponents to the tune of 5-1-0 or 4-2-0 at worst. Doing so will allow Dick to reach 600 wins in, of all places, Alford Arena...

The absolute worst case scenario should see them leaving Alford at 14-9-1 with ten winnable games to go (6-4-0 worst case in that final run)...

If UNH is to make the tourney they need to rack up wins - and fortunately the schedule past this six game stretch is also cupcake city. People can view my tributes (jokes) to the schedule-maker however they want. If UNH wins 20+ games and makes the NCAA tournament the schedule will be the biggest reason why. Some posters might take offense to that idea. Too bad. It's true. And I don't care one bit, because it's a GOOD thing! Same as a semi-run for football...

20+ wins and an NCAA tournament would be huge for the recruiters and everyone will forget how they got there. It's about the big picture, for me, in hockey and football. Breaks are always welcome! To ignore them is naive fan-boy behavior. I don't understand the need for validation of achievement for some...

My worst case scenario would put them at 20-13-1 (11-10-1), if they win a first-round series that's 22 wins. If they can take a game in the next round and finish 23-15-1 they'd be right in the mix for the backend of the tourney field. And clearly stealing a couple more in the regular season is also doable...
                      Last edited by Dan; 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

While some of the more sensitive posters here may view my outlook as negative - I reject that notion and again state I am simply practical and objective. I am hardly BillB, and readily give the team, coaches and recruiters credit when things go well, even in areas others would disagree (Ie - Souza and the PP, Crookshank/Commesso, JVR and Umile the developmental coach). My posting style will always reflect what is going on in Wildcat-land through my own eyes...

That is why I'm certain the Wildcats will blow through this week stretch of opponents to the tune of 5-1-0 or 4-2-0 at worst. Doing so will allow Dick to reach 600 wins in, of all places, Alford Arena...

If UNH is to make the tourney they need to rack up wins - and fortunately the schedule past this six game stretch is also cupcake city. People can like my tributes to the schedule-maker however they want. If UNH wins 23+ games and makes the NCAA tournament the schedule will be the biggest reason why. Some posters might take offense to that idea. It's true. And I don't care one bit, because it's a GOOD thing!

23+ wins and an NCAA tournament would be huge for the recruiters and everyone will forget how they got there. It's about the big picture, for me, in hockey and football. Breaks are always welcome! I don't understand the need for validation of achievement for some...
                        Hey, if we make the tournament I don't care how we get there. That would be a huge accomplishment and doable, as you say. Here, here. And if Coach U makes his 600 wins at Maine, how appropriate. Signed, a sensitive poster

Comment

But, Dick doesn't deserve to get 600 wins, because, you know, he wears turtle necks, and, like, he lets them throw fish on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

That is why I'm certain the Wildcats will blow through this weak stretch of opponents to the tune of 5-1-0 or 4-2-0 at worst. Doing so will allow Dick to reach 600 wins in, of all places, Alford Arena...

The absolute worst case scenario should see them leaving Alford at 14-9-1 with ten winnable games to go (6-4-0 worst case in that final run)...

If UNH is to make the tourney they need to rack up wins - and fortunately the schedule past this six game stretch is also cupcake city. People can view my tributes (jokes) to the schedule-maker however they want. If UNH wins 20+ games and makes the NCAA tournament the schedule will be the biggest reason why. Some posters might take offense to that idea. Too bad. It's true. And I don't care one bit, because it's a GOOD thing! Same as a semi-run for football...

20+ wins and an NCAA tournament would be huge for the recruiters and everyone will forget how they got there. It's about the big picture, for me, in hockey and football. Breaks are always welcome! To ignore them is naive fan-boy behavior. I don't understand the need for validation of achievement for some...

My worst case scenario would put them at 20-13-1 (11-10-1), if they win a first-round series that's 22 wins. If they can take a game in the next round and finish 23-15-1 they'd be right in the mix for the backend of the tourney field. And clearly stealing a couple more in the regular season is also doable...
                            Turns out some teams that we have played this season are not the cupcakes that we thought they were, at least based on RPI, SOS, and PWR at the moment. For example, Colgate, Colorado College, UML, and UMass-Flagship. Agreed, UVM and Yale have confirmed their cupcake status, as have several teams that we will be playing in the next stretch. For example, RPI, Army, Mac, Dartmouth, Yale (again; yay MS35+5!), and Brown. Yes, all six cupcakes, at least based on RPI, SOS, and PWR.

Also, are you saying that our idiotic 5-3 PP is Souza's doing? If so, we are doomed!
                            Last edited by Snively65; 12-05-2017, 02:56 AM.

Comment

I am pretty sure that there has been overtime at least since my Freshman year 64-65. The length of OT has varied.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

FWIW took a quick glance at a UNH media guide and found OT games as far back as the 1927-28 season.

And the aforementioned game against Harvard is listed as a 3-2 OT win - one of four overtime victories in Dick Umile's senior season.
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X