This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Nothing better than to start a weekend morning with a quick dose of the Stooges. Well played, e.cat.

NOT a shot at you BTW, Aerman.
    I rather enjoyed the comment myself.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I must admit to a hangover of my former self - see, this morning I was going to make another prediction. You may recall it was I (still in all my negative glory) who predicted a 6-0 UNH start, after sweeping UML, and a 2-1 march thru Yale and PC! I awoke expecting another 6-0-0 stretch of UNH hockey...

But I must admit, I fear it was for all the wrong reasons. I was going to note that the average RPI for this months opponents was 48 and UNH better make some real hay. That wins against these teams may be good for PWR points, but losses would certainly be devastating.

Shame on me! They will go 6-0-0 because they are a juggernaut and I will fight anyone who says otherwise!!!
      That’s the spirit 1932, errr, Dan!
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

See, the old me would say I was right in the money. The NCAA counts contests as three hour slices of the 20 hour maximum pie. Twenty hours minus two games makes 14 hours of practice/lift time left. But I certainly learned last night that objective awareness/curiousity of the numbers make me a negative nelly! I am now undoubtedly aware that UNH's individual players clearly put in work outside of the coaching staff that totaled, at least, 25 hours a day!

I was briming with pride at the thought of 14 hours M-Th of last week (it was additionally silly of me to assume players of this mental fortitude would accept the NCAA mandated day off!!). I am positively bursting at the idea of 125 hours Su-Th!! That extra work is undoubtedly why they just earned half of what has to be the greatest split in modern college hockey history!!
        Now you understand where this year's 'cats are at. No days off. No locker room electricity or HVAC. I hear they are lobbying Coach to play at least one league game (BU?) on a pond.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

All kidding aside I am going to say that this win over PC is huge for a number of reasons. First of all, if we had lost, then it would've been because "UNH can't compete with the big boys afterall". Winning that game shows otherwise, but of course, it's a super small sample so we look to how we are going to do going forward. Night and day difference from Friday to Saturday; 'Cats kept PC off the net for the most part with a much better team defense all the way around. Second, we picked up two desperately needed HE points and still have a lot of HE games left to play. Third well we haven't beaten PC at home for awhile; that felt good. Boyd's gift of a goal stood up and that speaks volumes.

HAVE to WIN going forward PWR-wise as has been pointed out...can't afford to look past anyone. Army won a big one over Colgate so they won't be a 'cupcake' in my estimation but I know very little about them...Be nice to avenge our last trip to RPI losing in OT the last time around. (Pots had a hattie in that one) Could the 'Cats go 6-0 by year end?? 7-0 before we hit BU at home? Tall order given the sport but very possible. Go 'Cats!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-03-2017, 12:42 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I must admit to a hangover of my former self - see, this morning I was going to make another prediction. You may recall it was I (still in all my negative glory) who predicted a 6-0 UNH start, after sweeping UML, and a 2-1 march thru Yale and PC! I awoke expecting another 6-0-0 stretch of UNH hockey...

But I must admit, I fear it was for all the wrong reasons. I was going to note that the average RPI for this months opponents was 48 and UNH better make some real hay. That wins against these teams may be good for PWR points, but losses would certainly be devastating.

Shame on me! They will go 6-0-0 because they are a juggernaut and I will fight anyone who says otherwise!!!
            Well my over the top homer prediction for this weekend was either a tie and a win OR a split. Guess it was irrational exuberance to think UNH could actually escape the weekend without a loss!
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              (Curly) "But Moe, I'm tempermental,", (Moe) "Yeah, 10% temper and 90% mental!"
              I hope you are not talking about Dan!

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                I hope you are not talking about Dan!
                I'm just here to help
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I'm just here to help
                  I like your sense of humor.

Comment

I'm just here to help
                    Was going to say that you do a splendid job of helping, if I must say.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

If it feels like a quick turnaround for the Quest or March or Whatever ... yes it is. UNH silenced some of its doubters last night with an important and timely 1-0 win over Providence at The Whitt, which saw the boys displaying true "Champs of December" form after getting thrashed 5-2 the previous evening at Schneider Arena, f/k/a The Coffin. Oh, the good ol' days indeed. I didn't check the video, but would be interested to see how the Umile-Borek interactions went after both games (although I'm guessing it *might* have been a convenient time for the erstwhile former UNH assistant to be away on a scouting road trip. But you just know our boy BS35+5 is going to have a happy spring to his step tomorrow, with Football and Hockey going great guns, as WIS presents its latest update and prognostication in this "Champions of December Redux", sugar-laced edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The March to 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 594
                      Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 6
                      Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 22
                      Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 27.3%
                      WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 90%
                      2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 4/6 (66.7%)

Adding two more W's in these last three games allowed Coach Umile's program to finish off this challenging 6 game stretch at 2-4-0. Now that's hardly the early season form that brings back the glory days, or even the pseudo-glory years that followed when UNH would rack up early season wins like penny candy, and then wrestle with the rest of the season when everyone else found their next levels, while UNH was perpetually stuck in neutral (or quicksand sometimes even). Now, while a 4-4-1 conference record isn't setting off any fire alarms around the league, it is notable that UNH has tallied 3 of those wins against programs who would now constitute the updated version of the Big 4, against whom the 'Cats have compiled a respectable 3-4-0 record, with single games apiece remaining against BU and BC. And in this year where Hockey East appears to be mired in a so-called "down year", only Northeastern currently has a better overall record than UNH. Cupcakes or no cupcakes, this marks significant progress over the last two turgid seasons, and hope springs eternal, as UNH now turns its attentions to a row of creampuff competition that likely has visions of sugarplums dancing in Coach Umile's daydreams this week.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS' panel of experts projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season through completion of the Ledyard Bank Classic after the break and before we turn the calendar into 2018. UNH started the past weekend at #13 in the polls, and after last night's win, they stand at a 8-5-1 record, which now has them a solid two-plus games ahead of WIS projections. And as the final out of conference stretch of games lies before us, you have to be bullish on the boys' chances to add about another four (4) W's to chip away at the NRN by the time the Brownies depart Durham in their 2018 debut. We've already had one regular poster predict (elsewhere) that the NRN will land safely in Durham in the Brown game itself. But UNH being UNH, and with the overall state of parity (or is it parody? ) in D-1 Hockey these days, you have to think it won't be THAT easy. But with the win over Providence, the WIS panel has upgraded the likelihood of Coach Umile successfully completing his Quest at a heady 90% - an all-time high for the index. With three games left before the winter break, here are the predictions for this coming week:

Predictions:

Wednesday: UNH 4 @ RPI 2
                      Saturday: @ UNH 5 Army Red Blaik 0
                      Sunday: @ UNH 2 Merrimack 2 (oops)

NEXT CUPCAKES ON THE SHELF: 12/6/17 @ RPI; 12/9/17 v. Army Red Blaik; 12/10/17 v. Merrimack

WIS CONTEST - GUESS THE DATE COACH HITS THE NRN!!!

There is it, simple as that. WIS predicted at the start of the season that Coach Umile would reach the hallowed NRN on February 3rd at home against UMass Flagship. I'll stick with that prediction, just to be a sport about it. So ... pick your date for when Coach Umile's great achievement will be reached, or be that person who tinkles in the punch bowl, and predict he'll still come up short somehow. The winner gets the Steve "Count" Cedorchuk Memorial room & board scholarship at BC, and at UMaine's reduced out-of-state, in-state tuition rates. Now there's an offer that's going to be hard to beat. Got at it folks!!!

WIS INITIATIVE - "WATCH THE FACTS" - COMING SOON!!

WIS operatives have been out and about in the world of college hockey, in search of the truth amidst false narratives and hidden agendas at the highest levels, on and off the ice. The first target of our Watch The Facts hit squad will be the monolith along the shores of scenic Lake Quannapowitt, where the forces of political correctness have taken ahold. Watch this space for the incredible disclosures as they unfold.

GO UNH - GOT TO GET THE GOODBYE TOUR TO THE GAHDEN!!!
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

"UNH Plays of the Game: UNH 1 Providence 0"
                        Includes video breakdown of key plays.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          All kidding aside I am going to say that this win over PC is huge for a number of reasons. First of all, if we had lost, then it would've been because "UNH can't compete with the big boys afterall". Winning that game shows otherwise, but of course, it's a super small sample so we look to how we are going to do going forward. Night and day difference from Friday to Saturday; 'Cats kept PC off the net for the most part with a much better team defense all the way around. Second, we picked up two desperately needed HE points and still have a lot of HE games left to play. Third well we haven't beaten PC at home for awhile; that felt good. Boyd's gift of a goal stood up and that speaks volumes.

HAVE to WIN going forward PWR-wise as has been pointed out...can't afford to look past anyone. Army won a big one over Colgate so they won't be a 'cupcake' in my estimation but I know very little about them...Be nice to avenge our last trip to RPI losing in OT the last time around. (Pots had a hattie in that one) Could the 'Cats go 6-0 by year end?? 7-0 before we hit BU at home? Tall order given the sport but very possible. Go 'Cats!
                          Colgate and Army = cupcakes. Ditto RPI, Mac, Dartmouth, Vlae, and Brown. All cupcakes. January 6th should be Umile's NRN, unless something goes dreadfully wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            "UNH Plays of the Game: UNH 1 Providence 0"
                            Includes video breakdown of key plays.
                            Wow...great save on that Pinho shot; DT not there it's a goal. 'Cats did a great job of keeping guys like him on the perimeter; diff of the night before. Great, gutsy win.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Colgate and Army = cupcakes. Ditto RPI, Mac, Dartmouth, Vlae, and Brown. All cupcakes. January 6th should be Umile's NRN, unless something goes dreadfully wrong.
                              Of course, that means six in a row - or a seven game winning streak, including the PC win the other night.

For a program that majors in "dreadfully wrong", I think that's a mite optimistic, but I do hope you're right!!

Anyone else want in with a prediction on the game when Coach reaches the NRN?
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Of course, that means six in a row - or a seven game winning streak, including the PC win the other night.

For a program that majors in "dreadfully wrong", I think that's a mite optimistic, but I do hope you're right!!

Anyone else want in with a prediction on the game when Coach reaches the NRN?
                                Looking at the schedule I have to go with Snively65: Jan. 6 v Brown.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X