X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Well, that wasn't the start of the weekend we'd hoped for ...
    Hey Chuck, this is what you wrote following the BC game a couple of months back:

"Just to elaborate a little further on last night's game (caught it on ESPN3 on my way back from vacation) ... it seemed UNH's offense was choppy and at times accidental. That can sometimes be classified as opportunistic, or arise from some tough checking that forces giveaways in key areas of the ice. Their two goals were very nice, but once you got past that ... really, not too much in the way of quality chances. Even the BvR breakaway (second period IIRC?) never looked like he had a chance. And of course the Woll save in the 3rd was a fluky break on a weird bounce coming out of the corner. Nazarian should have buried it, but it looked like he was almost too careful just to get it on net, and didn't think Woll would have a chance to get back in position. Oh well ... easy come, easy go, I suppose.

I guess for me, it always just felt like BC had more attacking flow more consistently. It's not like they were utterly dominant, but I think if you put both teams out there without their school colors, any neutral observer would say that the team that scored three goals had better chances all night long, were more organized in their 5-on-5 play, and won most of the puck battles too. I disagree with the poster who said that if the Nazarian shot went in, the game would have been a deserved tie. I absolutely positively think that even if UNH does score that goal, BC would have turned it up another notch, and I think they'd have won later in regulation or in OT. The way they killed off most of the last 2 minutes, once UNH came back to full strength, was textbook situational possession hockey."

Seems you could pretty much say the exact same things about last night's game with the other Comm Ave team. Don't want to minimize the UNH goals as "lucky" but lets face it. Oettinger is supposed to cover the short side on the MacAdams goal, and the BU d-man is not supposed to allow the pass on the Salvaggio goal. Jason ROBARDS could have scored that goal it was such a gimme.

Like HR, I was glad for Clark, although I must admit that initially I was p-oed, as I felt like the coach was putting him in a tough situation. (I mean Clark couldn't get a chance against one of those bottom dwellers they just played? Instead he gets to face an extremely talented, albeit underachieving team.) But he handled the first period adversity well and I think he has earned another chance somewhere along the line.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Wonder if that coincided with fan comments that ESPN 3's quality wasn't good and You Tube was better? Just something I heard bantered about...Up here I don't get ESPN 3 and have to pay for it. But it would've been nice to have that info out for the fans. Speaking of things like that, it was 'blue out the 'Whitt' but the 'Cats were in white? I guess that's no biggie.
      You can download the app to your devices for free. It is also in Roku which is how I watched in my tv.

I know it was "blue out" the Whitt. Don't both teams have to agree on jersey switches? In other words, BU would have had to agree to UNH wearing their away blues!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Lest we forget - BU's first "counted" goal ( ) came off of Richie Boyd's stick.

Somewhere out in British Columbia, James Miller is laughing his azz off.
        UNH

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          You can download the app to your devices for free. It is also in Roku which is how I watched in my tv.

I know it was "blue out" the Whitt. Don't both teams have to agree on jersey switches? In other words, BU would have had to agree to UNH wearing their away blues!
          Not sure how that works...haha as if the color change would've made a diff! But up in Maine (2 seasons ago?) it was interesting UNH skated in their whites...I think Maine was wearing a new jersey that night? I dunno. Thanks for the tips about ESPN. I abhor my cable provider; can't get NHL Network either
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Speaking of Miller I noticed he skated 2nd Dpair last night for the Vees. I hope he (Miller) does well in his career. He'll probably go on to play for PC or something like that and come back to haunt us lol. Seriously...glad he's doing what he feels is best...

Comment

LOL

Speaking of the disallowed goals, after the second one I figured that HockeyLeast must have gone to the NFL system where the league office reviews all scoring plays. And Joey B. himself was making the calls.

Speaking of Joey Batts I noticed that even though the 'Cats have to go to Orono for two this weekend that he made sure Maine would play three games in five nights that week.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• UNH's spring semester does not start until the end of January - I am hopeful that UNH is simply (for whatever reason) unable to produce ESPN3 games without their cheap (free?) student labor (Brown was on YouTube as well). I don't know how much more help they would need to broadcast on ESPN3 versus YouTube, but I do know that with schools I've worked for ESPN3 can actually be quite a production. Still the schools I've worked for have always ensured they've had enough staff to broadcast during breaks as well. If it's gone, unannounced or advertised, halfway through year one - that's embarrassing...

BU has been the blue out game for years and always agreed to let UNH wear blue. I doubt they'd deny them that choice this year. Seems like an oversight. It's the little things (and that's two ignored)...

---

I agree with Felger - The Clark decision was strange and he seemed set up to fail. The first goal was a bad one, Boyd notwithstanding, and very soft. That was a terrible rebound he gave up on a long, long shot, but I'd imagine it's difficult when you can see the playing time for the rest of your season/hockey playing life relying on every potential save. He settled in and played very well, making some real nice stops.

Unfortunately, the bad goal, the loss and two kicked in may be just the ammo (despite the overall very good effort) the coaching staff needs to return to Tirone for every minute of the final 13 regular season games...

That's sarcasm, but we know that's what they'd prefer and it shouldn't surprise anyone if that actually happens. In reality, Robinson and Clark should be playing often since this season is over in terms of accomplishing anything important (and there is little if any step down by doing so). They (Robinson at least, maybe Clark) are the ones who will be coming back. Clark deserves PT for his amazing mask alone...
                Last edited by Dan; 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

I have cited Miller as an interesting but hardly exciting recruit, part of the sub-par "meh" recruiting under the new staff's 2015 "changing culture of recruiting". Now that he's gone, let's not make him out to be a Warren Foegele level squander of talent.

Did I hear in the background that UNH hosted the Kapla Finland team in between periods? Is that where our talent for next year will come, this late in the recruiting season?
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-13-2018, 10:34 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    I have cited Miller as an interesting but hardly exciting recruit, part of the sub-par "meh" recruiting under the new staff's 2015 "changing culture of recruiting". Now that he's gone, let's not make him out to be a Warren Foegele level squander of talent.

Did I hear in the background that UNH hosted the Kapla Finland team in between periods? Is that where our talent for next year will come, this late in the recruiting season?
                    We'll never know about Miller, other that I'm sure that he was frustrated with Umile's "senior loyalty"

Yes, Kapla Finland was in the house last night. Large group, and by all accounts they were having blast at the game, just watching and did not skate between the periods. Not quite at the recruiting age (I'm guessing age 14 and younger), but hey, if soon-to-be HC Souza wants to try and identify future Euro-mercenaries, more power too him.
                    UNH

Comment

Recruit us some Finns!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Kalpa U20:
                        http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?year0=&team=2010

Kalpa U18:
                        http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2474

Kalpa U16:
                        http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=7971

Some nice looking F's (and 17 year old D playing up) on the U20 team. Why wait for the U16s...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Yep they were there!

Comment

• UNH Save Percentages since 12/1:
                            Robinson - .950
                            Clark - .921
                            Tirone - .886

So...? Who starts tomorrow?
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              UNH Save Percentages since 12/1:
                              Robinson - .950
                              Clark - .921
                              Tirone - .886

So...? Who starts tomorrow?
                              Funny you mention that because my season tix friend thinks Clark will get the start. I don't think that will happen. But like I said...does it really matter at this point? May as well give him more time. Still, I have my doubts we'll see much more of him (Clark) this season. Anyone know for sure one way or the other his plans next year? All 3 goalies got brandy new masks and I agree; Clark's is the coolest...

Speaking of goalies today while getting my hair cut a student from my school came in who plays for the Jr. Monarchs. He told me that he's seen Mike Souza at a few games and he thinks he's looking at their goalie from Goffstown? (Kyle Chauvette) Says lots of teams have interest in this goalie. Of course I have no idea you guys know better...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Funny you mention that because my season tix friend thinks Clark will get the start. I don't think that will happen. But like I said...does it really matter at this point? May as well give him more time. Still, I have my doubts we'll see much more of him (Clark) this season. Anyone know for sure one way or the other his plans next year? All 3 goalies got brandy new masks and I agree; Clark's is the coolest...

Speaking of goalies today while getting my hair cut a student from my school came in who plays for the Jr. Monarchs. He told me that he's seen Mike Souza at a few games and he thinks he's looking at their goalie from Goffstown? (Kyle Chauvette) Says lots of teams have interest in this goalie. Of course I have no idea you guys know better...
                                Chauvette is a prospect and definitely someone to keep an eye on. He's been up and down statistically with the Monarchs - though very good in the limited sample size of USA hockey festivals. But he is tiny - currently listed at 5-8, 130 - so unless he's got substantial growing still ahead of him I'm not sure he'd be my first choice...

---

I'd be shocked if Clark starts again, Sunday. I'd expect Tirone...
                                Last edited by Dan; 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X