X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Speaking of Toronto tomorrow night the 'Canes are in town so it's vR Vs vR...but I have a feeling I'm gonna pay close attention to how that free wheelin' DMan plays! 😉
    Given Zaitsev's drop in scoring output from last year - but noting his much-improved plus/minus - I'm guessing he'll be somewhat less "free wheeling" than advertised ... but Babcock is probably pretty happy about that.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Speaking of Toronto tomorrow night the 'Canes are in town so it's vR Vs vR...but I have a feeling I'm gonna pay close attention to how that free wheelin' DMan plays! 😉
      Always fun when the van Riemsdyk brothers play against one another, kinda like when the Eiserman brothers played against one another two years ago at the Whitt, right, Chuck? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Always fun when the van Riemsdyk brothers play against one another, kinda like when the Eiserman brothers played against one another two years ago at the Whitt, right, Chuck? :-)
        Wasn't that much fun for TvR as they got killed 7-1...(or was it 8). And they played at 2 so I missed it!
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Wasn't that much fun for TvR as they got killed 7-1...(or was it 8). And they played at 2 so I missed it!
          Kinda buried the lede there, as JVR had a three point night, including his 16th goal of the season (the 20,000th goal in Leaf's history). He remains on pace for a 35-40 goal season...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Kinda buried the lede there, as JVR had a three point night, including his 16th goal of the season (the 20,000th goal in Leaf's history). He remains on pace for a 35-40 goal season...
            Not bad.....for a perennial third liner, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Indeed I did!!! I didn't have his stats (JvR) in front of me; glad he had a great afternoon. Awesome player! Sorry I missed him 'back in the day'. I know I did see him play back in 2008 the one game I went to while my son was a student at the U, but wasn't really into it. I do remember they beat CC that night, and, the 'sieve' cheer was an oddity I didn't get...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                If you're not already on the Bentley payroll, you really oughta be on there, Snively65. I never cease to be amazed at how you find creative new ways to draw the outside world into the intersection of Beaver and Forest. This one was a stretch, even by your prodigious standards. But yeah, I don't remember too much "fun" on that occasion ...

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Indeed I did!!! I didn't have his stats (JvR) in front of me; glad he had a great afternoon. Awesome player! Sorry I missed him 'back in the day'. I know I did see him play back in 2008 the one game I went to while my son was a student at the U, but wasn't really into it. I do remember they beat CC that night, and, the 'sieve' cheer was an oddity I didn't get...
                Is this the right time/place to bemoan the departure of many of the more creative cheers from back in the day? I mean, the "Beat 'Em, Slash 'Em, Break His Face" cheer alone would probably have the snowflakes melting in the aisles. The Ex-Lax cheer, the "teamwork" cheer, even the universal obligatory "Warm Up the Bus" chant ... just a sampling of fun things that have gone away. And to think, it all started when BS35+5 had the band play over the usual "welcoming" chants the home fans used to shout out to the opposition's intros. All with the idea of making The Whitt a more "family friendly" place (or so we were told back then), when there was still a waiting list for STH's.

Well, he certainly solved that *problem*, didn't he? No more "hate cheers", no more STH wait list, no more sellouts, no more atmosphere, and even less families attending games at The Whitt now as opposed to then.

As those animated characters used to say in the Guinness ads ... BRILLIANT!!!!!

Today's WIS "Git Off Ma Lawn" moment has been sponsored by the generous folks at AARP and Geritol

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  If you're not already on the Bentley payroll, you really oughta be on there, Snively65. I never cease to be amazed at how you find creative new ways to draw the outside world into the intersection of Beaver and Forest. This one was a stretch, even by your prodigious standards. But yeah, I don't remember too much "fun" on that occasion ...

Is this the right time/place to bemoan the departure of many of the more creative cheers from back in the day? I mean, the "Beat 'Em, Slash 'Em, Break His Face" cheer alone would probably have the snowflakes melting in the aisles. The Ex-Lax cheer, the "teamwork" cheer, even the universal obligatory "Warm Up the Bus" chant ... just a sampling of fun things that have gone away. And to think, it all started when BS35+5 had the band play over the usual "welcoming" chants the home fans used to shout out to the opposition's intros. All with the idea of making The Whitt a more "family friendly" place (or so we were told back then), when there was still a waiting list for STH's.

Well, he certainly solved that *problem*, didn't he? No more "hate cheers", no more STH wait list, no more sellouts, no more atmosphere, and even less families attending games at The Whitt now as opposed to then.

As those animated characters used to say in the Guinness ads ... BRILLIANT!!!!!

Today's WIS "Git Off Ma Lawn" moment has been sponsored by the generous folks at AARP and Geritol
                  I do believe the 'team work' cheer is still in effect, and as for the sieve cheer, it's alive and well. I just didn't "get it" or understand what they were all saying, to be honest. Not to mention the 1000 other things I didn't understand at those few games I went to!

So far this year no "Black Betty" riffs, and I'd have to say there have been better student section cheers in the past few as compared to this season. Now it's all the bad things about the goalies mother type stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Is this the right time/place to bemoan the departure of many of the more creative cheers from back in the day?
                    And, IMO, the best one of all (at Snively where both benches were on the same side):
                    "This is the winning team (pointing to UNH bench)! This is the losing team (pointing to visiting bench)!
                    Winning team! Losing team! Winning team! Losing team!"

Great memories...

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      And, IMO, the best one of all (at Snively where both benches were on the same side):
                      "This is the winning team (pointing to UNH bench)! This is the losing team (pointing to visiting bench)!
                      Winning team! Losing team! Winning team! Losing team!"

Great memories...
                      Like "Good goalie, bad goalie, good goalie, bad goalie" after wins.

Or, "Drive home safely!" when winning on road to home team fans.

Comment

Sadly, in keeping with the times, I'm afraid The Whitt has become just another "safe space" on campus ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

... but at least Reality (chair of the WIS Board of Directors) chimes in once in awhile to keep things real ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv2ZMN3T18E

... but looking ahead, we've got the Yale game on the horizon for next weekend, so let's get ready for battle!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

WIS denies any perceived similarities between some USCHO board contributors and characters in the Yale skit
                        Last edited by Chuck Murray; 12-21-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Nick Stoico of the Concord Monitor reflects on the first half of the season:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...eview-14503917

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals GOOOOOOO 'Catsssssssss!
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-26-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Nick Stoico of the Concord Monitor reflects on the first half of the season:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...eview-14503917

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals GOOOOOOO 'Catsssssssss!
                            Good recap of season at the link. Maybe I will get back from Colorado in time for the Brown game, which was supposed to be my celebration for co-winning the NRN contest. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Good recap of season at the link. Maybe I will get back from Colorado in time for the Brown game, which was supposed to be my celebration for co-winning the NRN contest. Oh well.
                              Yes, it is disappointing we didn't pull it off but we were ambitious, if not realistic. Going to be a cold one in the Upper Valley but am looking forward to getting back to the hockey and to be visiting a new arena. Enjoy the trip to Colorado; checking out any Denver games? Hope to see you at the Brown game....

Comment

Yes, it is disappointing we didn't pull it off but we were ambitious, if not realistic. Going to be a cold one in the Upper Valley but am looking forward to getting back to the hockey and to be visiting a new arena. Enjoy the trip to Colorado; checking out any Denver games? Hope to see you at the Brown game....
                                Thompson Arena is a really fine venue, even if they no longer serve chowdah. :-)

We are going to the DU-Mac game at Magness on Friday night, and one of the two games in the Springs on Saturday night, but two new venues for me no matter the choice. And, much, much warmer out here. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X