X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Dartmouth beats DU 5-4 tonight and definitely didn't look like a cupcake this weekend.
    Reminds me of the 1979 ECAC Tournament. The first place BU Terriers waltzed into the old "Gahden" smelling another NCAA Tournament (after getting in the previous year as the result of that committee vote to have a playoff game in Providence and then going on to win the entire thing). BU hit the crossbar in the first minute and was never able to get untracked, losing 5-3 to the Big Green. A devastating and unexpected loss. We were all stunned. Just goes to show (as per the most recent theme on this thread) that you have to come to play every night!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Reminds me of the 1979 ECAC Tournament. The first place BU Terriers waltzed into the old "Gahden" smelling another NCAA Tournament (after getting in the previous year as the result of that committee vote to have a playoff game in Providence and then going on to win the entire thing). BU hit the crossbar in the first minute and was never able to get untracked, losing 5-3 to the Big Green. A devastating and unexpected loss. We were all stunned. Just goes to show (as per the most recent theme on this thread) that you have to come to play every night!
      Veteran UNH fans know all about those.... But you are 100% right...every night you've gotta come to play. I think I remember last season was it that the last place team in the NCAA's beat the top dog at the time? Happens. Fun to be a fan on those nights; they don't come often.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

There is a thread currently buried near the bottom of page 2 titled "probably the most well thought out.....(the borgman treatment)" that copies a blog piece about two Leafs d-men that did not get any traction (just one reply), but is an interesting read, as we have had a similar discussion here. The original blog author commits a cardinal sin by using "reigning in" rather than "reining in," but otherwise worth a look. :-)
        Last edited by Snively65; 12-17-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          There is a thread currently buried near the bottom of page 2 titled "probably the most well thought out.....(the borgman treatment)" that copies a blog piece about two Leafs d-men that did not get any traction (just one reply), but is an interesting read, as we have had a similar discussion here. The original blog author commits a cardinal sin by using "reigning in" rather than "reining in," but otherwise worth a look. :-)
          Very, very interesting read! Speaks to our discussions...here's the last paragraph with what I think is the main point....(but worth reading the entire post)

So what's the fix? I think the Leafs need to give Zaitsev a longer leash, and actively encourage him to make the best play, even if it means screwing up. There are some players who naturally want to go for the big plays and benefit from someone reigning them in. I think Zaits is the opposite type of player, one who is disproportionately hard on himself for screwing up, preferring to make the mediocre play in order to avoid making the "awful" play. I was that type of player, and I know that for people like me, we are our own worst detractors, and get in the way of our own success. Zaitsev himself said that he watched game tape too much last season, and had to consciously hold himself back from that habit, because he lets it influence his own game too much. I'd bet good money that he needs someone to tell him that he can hold on to the puck longer, skate it out himself, make that delay move to let the forechecker get out of the passing lane, etc. He needs to be told not to worry solely about shutting down the best players on the other team, and instead on making the best play himself (not just the safest). He needs to not hate himself for screwing up. Give him the Borgman treatment.

When Max takes the puck you can see him making conscious, puck possession decisions. We've already gone over how that hasn't always worked out, but more times than not, having the puck beats losing it. (wow, so deep...haha)
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-17-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            mookie?
            I actually think it was Ylae, I cant remember who did it though.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              I think Vlae, uhn and Proviced[ are typos that have been embraced over the years, while umlolol was created with deliberateness.
              Yes, UHN was a typo or sorts, of the placard variety, when UNH fans in the first row balcony during the 2002 Frozen Four semifinals game against Maine in the Exel Center got their cards out of order, which led to thousands of fans pointing at them and yelling "UHN! UHN!" The funniest part was that the UNH fans did not realize that their pacards were out of order for at least a minute or more, which led to even louder UHN chants. But, it was the final score that hurt the most in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                I actually think it was Ylae, I cant remember who did it though.
                It was indeed Ylae. I can't remember who did it, but I think it was someone who was here only for an short time and was somehow connected to another team (son of a school AD perhaps).
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yes, UHN was a typo or sorts, of the placard variety, when UNH fans in the first row balcony during the 2002 Frozen Four semifinals game against Maine in the Exel Center got their cards out of order, which led to thousands of fans pointing at them and yelling "UHN! UHN!" The funniest part was that the UNH fans did not realize that their pacards were out of order for at least a minute or more, which led to even louder UHN chants. But, it was the final score that hurt the most in that game.
                  Re UHN, was this Boston Globe article from 1979 ever posted here http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,211565 ?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Re UHN, was this Boston Globe article from 1979 ever posted here http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,211565 ?
                    Too funny, Ralph, and great sleuthing. Wow, those were the days when "Snively was a graveyard for BC." Maybe those were BC fans in the Exel balcony with the UHN placards in 2002?

Comment

Too funny, Ralph, and great sleuthing. Wow, those were the days when "Snively was a graveyard for BC." Maybe those were BC fans in the Exel balcony with the UHN placards in 2002?
                      I only read the post on eLynah, the Cornell message board. I didn't find the article.

I read and sometimes post on both the Cornell and Clarkson boards.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Very, very interesting read! Speaks to our discussions...here's the last paragraph with what I think is the main point....(but worth reading the entire post)

So what's the fix? I think the Leafs need to give Zaitsev a longer leash, and actively encourage him to make the best play, even if it means screwing up. There are some players who naturally want to go for the big plays and benefit from someone reigning them in. I think Zaits is the opposite type of player, one who is disproportionately hard on himself for screwing up, preferring to make the mediocre play in order to avoid making the "awful" play. I was that type of player, and I know that for people like me, we are our own worst detractors, and get in the way of our own success. Zaitsev himself said that he watched game tape too much last season, and had to consciously hold himself back from that habit, because he lets it influence his own game too much. I'd bet good money that he needs someone to tell him that he can hold on to the puck longer, skate it out himself, make that delay move to let the forechecker get out of the passing lane, etc. He needs to be told not to worry solely about shutting down the best players on the other team, and instead on making the best play himself (not just the safest). He needs to not hate himself for screwing up. Give him the Borgman treatment.
                        Hmmm ... anonymous blogger from Toronto, or Stanley Cup winning head coach who has already gotten the Leafs playing their best hockey in more than a generation? Tough one. I think I'll go with Babcock.

sarcasm not intended for you HR (or Snively65) ... interesting take, if only for the overlap with the recent discussions on here, but not surprised at all that thread didn't generate any real discussion
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Hmmm ... anonymous blogger from Toronto, or Stanley Cup winning head coach who has already gotten the Leafs playing their best hockey in more than a generation? Tough one. I think I'll go with Babcock.

sarcasm not intended for you HR (or Snively65) ... interesting take, if only for the overlap with the recent discussions on here, but not surprised at all that thread didn't generate any real discussion
                          And I think that's the point; the discussion here fits this narrative to some degree. I doubt we'll see mega changes in Max's game and I would hope we wouldn't. Movin' on. (me at least!)

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            And I think that's the point; the discussion here fits this narrative to some degree. I doubt we'll see mega changes in Max's game and I would hope we wouldn't. Movin' on. (me at least!)
                            It's a very interesting situation in Toronto, Ref. I suppose there are two ways to look at this. One could make the blind assumption that Babcock has REINED in his young defenseman or could do a quick google search and see that that Babcock has defended and encouraged Zaitsev to be himself again and again.

He has played in the top pair (22/23 minutes a night) since his arrival and has been encouraged to grow through his mistakes. His improvement in his second year is due to - in Babcock's words - a young player adjusting to the league, English and the country and not being coached to play safe or to minimize his skill. The 'blogger' even cites how Babcock has handled other young D-men as a an example for how to handle Zaitsev. I'd imagine the blogger is very pleased with the Stanley Cup winning coach's decision to encourage Zaitsev to flourish!

It's nice to see an old-school coach like Babcock show a consistent willingness to learn, adjust and understand both hockey and hockey players of today! I would suppose that is exactly WHY he continues to have success...

It seems the only uproar around Zaitsev's mistakes are is coming from a few misguided fans and media members. Babcock appears to have seen through that.

I for one am glad Umile and Souza are following Babcock's Stanley Cup winning pedigree in working with Gildon...
                            Last edited by Dan; 12-18-2017, 11:49 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I for one am glad Umile and Souza are following Babcock's Stanley Cup winning pedigree in working with Gildon...
                              Touche, Dan. Let's hope it nets the 'Cats the same positive results.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Speaking of Toronto tomorrow night the 'Canes are in town so it's vR Vs vR...but I have a feeling I'm gonna pay close attention to how that free wheelin' DMan plays! 😉

Comment

Working...
                                X