X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Didn't realize this much was at stake last night, from Fosters:

“It was a big night for us,” Umile said. “We hadn’t played as many games. We could have moved right up into the fourth spot (in Hockey East), winning tonight with games in hand we would have been in good shape. So we gave that up.”

Can't dwell on 'spilt milk' and I hope the 'Cats can rebound to find good things the second half...disappointed for them, truly am.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

“It was a big night for us,” Umile said. “We hadn’t played as many games. We could have moved right up into the fourth spot (in Hockey East), winning tonight with games in hand we would have been in good shape. So we gave that up.”

Can't dwell on 'spilt milk' and I hope the 'Cats can rebound to find good things the second half...disappointed for them, truly am.
      It was a Hockey East game. the only one UNH was playing until after the first of the year. It was against one of the worst teams in the country. And it was at home. After they won out at RPI I foolishly started thinking that they would waltz into the break on a winning streak, have 10 or 11 wins and be in the top half of the HE standings. But no. They've got 2+ weeks to figure it out before the Dartmouth tournament. They just have to play better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        It was a Hockey East game. the only one UNH was playing until after the first of the year. It was against one of the worst teams in the country. And it was at home. After they won out at RPI I foolishly started thinking that they would waltz into the break on a winning streak, have 10 or 11 wins and be in the top half of the HE standings. But no. They've got 2+ weeks to figure it out before the Dartmouth tournament. They just have to play better.
        We haven't lost to MC at home since 2013. Was aware it was a HE game but guess I didn't realize its value; I mean, they are all important. Tough road from here despite the upcoming tournament which, on paper, we should do well if they execute. Anyway.// we all know the schedule set us up to do well. They have to figure it out. And while it's not an excuse 5 games in 9 days has to be a part of it. But that doesn't matter. I hope they have a good break and come back strong.
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-11-2017, 09:47 AM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Two points would have moved them into sixth place. But everyone is entitled to their own math, I guess. Who knows, perhaps had they won Joey B. would have decreed that since it was their third game in five days and they have to go to class, read to kids, deal with a tough admissions office, lousy facilities, and all those other unique obstacles that the game would count for four or five points.

Still a bit bemused that there is seemingly serious discussion among fans of a team that is winless in eight of its last twelve about the PWR and the NCAA tourney. Have to wonder if similar attitude pervades the locker room. Which would explain this past weekend's underachievement.

However the bottom line is there are plenty of winnable games left on the schedule. And stranger things have happened.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Two cupcakes in Hanover coming up; yum, yum, yum. Dartmouth got Bentley'd 5-1 there on Saturday night. We already know about Vlae.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Two points would have moved them into sixth place. But everyone is entitled to their own math, I guess. Who knows, perhaps had they won Joey B. would have decreed that since it was their third game in five days and they have to go to class, read to kids, deal with a tough admissions office, lousy facilities, and all those other unique obstacles that the game would count for four or five points.

Still a bit bemused that there is seemingly serious discussion among fans of a team that is winless in eight of its last twelve about the PWR and the NCAA tourney. Have to wonder if similar attitude pervades the locker room. Which would explain this past weekend's underachievement.

However the bottom line is there are plenty of winnable games left on the schedule
              . And stranger things have happened.
              And that, is what matters most. I don't think there's a 'buzz' around the 'Whitt that we are planning on going to St. Paul. I do think the concern is...show up and play. I think based on the comments I've read/heard from some of the team they know they aren't doing that on a night in, night out basis. We aren't immune to those issues. UNH has to figure that part out, on their own, on that ice.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Not that I disagree with your tenor, Scott ... gosh, I hope your nieces don't get wind of those comments!!

Two straight horrendous home losses, NOT a good way to start the break. Or maybe the break came just in time ...
                Ahhhhh.....you didn't notice the 's and the 's below my note? Just a very poor, semi-intoxicated holiday break rant about how I currently feel about "Scarano's Folly".

FWIW, we had our great-nephew and his dad at the game with us on Sunday, and they had a blast. My only mistake was building up the team in advance . Is it too late to move my NRN date selection? If the trend continues, it may not occur until the playoffs. You do recall, in my true "sand-bagging" style, I posted before the season that I had my doubts that the NRN would be reached at all this season.....

And....also FWIW....my nieces have heard FAR FAR WORSE from their relatives.....
                UNH

Comment

• There are lots of winnable games left to make a run - and it's also possible that the team's unexpected hot start is the outlier this season (not this past weekend). Starting with five wins sure masks a 4-7-1 march through the last 12. Maybe they're much improved? Maybe they're who we thought they were? There's a lot of variance in outcomes the rest of the way...

It certainly seems like they think they're much improved and belong in the NCAA Tournament with some entitled performances this weekend. Which is unfortunate, since all the success they've had this season has come from a feeling of being doubted and having much to prove...

It's not easy to carry a chip on ones shoulder for six months - can they find it again? Or are they just not that good? The schedule is not overwhelming in the second half - but it's more difficult than the first half...

The worst part of all of this is a very young Maine team, that finally has a goalie, showing positive signs - with some very nice recruiting pieces. Meanwhile, on both fronts...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    There are lots of winnable games left to make a run - and it's also possible that the team's unexpected hot start is the outlier this season (not this past weekend). Starting with five wins sure masks a 4-7-1 march through the last 12. Maybe they're much improved? Maybe they're who we thought they were? There's a lot of variance in outcomes the rest of the way...

It certainly seems like they think they're much improved and belong in the NCAA Tournament with some entitled performances this weekend. Which is unfortunate, since all the success they've had this season has come from a feeling of being doubted and having much to prove...

It's not easy to carry a chip on ones shoulder for six months - can they find it again? Or are they just not that good? The schedule is not overwhelming in the second half - but it's more difficult than the first half...

The worst part of all of this is a very young Maine team, that finally has a goalie, showing positive signs - with some very nice recruiting pieces. Meanwhile, on both fronts...
                    Please explain 'entitled performances'?

Now starting with 5 wins gave most fans, and maybe them, a sense of hope for a change, when, in the most recent past, we lost those games we should've won. (Bentley, ASU) Still, as Felger pointed out, we are only a half game ahead of last season. Work to be done and how they respond matters big time of course. I would hope they don't feel entitled. That would be unfortunate. And I have to say that their success this season hasn't come easy it's never easy in this sport.

I know no one will agree with this but going back to the first 2 games with UML...we played very well. We did, despite the fact that UML did not play their 'usual game' but we were facing OT in that first game and we all know where that might've gone if Shane E had not beat Wall. Those wins were earned, plain and simple. I've been concerned they haven't played as well since, but then the home PC game showed other wise. This weekend? Not so much, and that for me, is the concern. UMass is surging a bit, (well, if beating Union is surging but they've had other nice wins like PC) UMaine too. UNH? What will you do....we'll find out! Am glad the break is here.
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Please explain 'entitled performances'?

Now starting with 5 wins gave most fans, and maybe them, a sense of hope for a change, when, in the most recent past, we lost those games we should've won. (Bentley, ASU) Still, as Felger pointed out, we are only a half game ahead of last season. Work to be done and how they respond matters big time of course. I would hope they don't feel entitled. That would be unfortunate. And I have to say that their success this season hasn't come easy it's never easy in this sport.

I know no one will agree with this but going back to the first 2 games with UML...we played very well. We did, despite the fact that UML did not play their 'usual game' but we were facing OT in that first game and we all know where that might've gone if Shane E had not beat Wall. Those wins were earned, plain and simple. I've been concerned they haven't played as well since, but then the home PC game showed other wise. This weekend? Not so much, and that for me, is the concern. UMass is surging a bit, (well, if beating Union is surging but they've had other nice wins like PC) UMaine too. UNH? What will you do....we'll find out! Am glad the break is here.
                      When I say entitled I mean showing up against Army and MC with poor efforts that indicate an expectation wins against the two will just come. When they beat UML they put out 60 minute efforts from the drop of the puck. They didn't do that this weekend - I hate to question effort, I think it is questioned to often following losses, but this didn't look like the team we saw earlier this year who attributed its success to effort and having something to prove...

If they think they've already proven or accomplished something, they're wrong. And I suspect they learned as much this weekend - hopefully that means better performances starting in Hanover. Losing games to teams you shouldn't happens sometimes - getting buried in 3-1 holes on consecutive nights is hard to accept...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        When I say entitled I mean showing up against Army and MC with poor efforts that indicate an expectation wins against the two will just come. When they beat UML they put out 60 minute efforts from the drop of the puck. They didn't do that this weekend - I hate to question effort, I think it is questioned to often following losses, but this didn't look like the team we saw earlier this year who attributed its success to effort and having something to prove...

If they think they've already proven or accomplished something, they're wrong. And I suspect they learned as much this weekend - hopefully that means better performances starting in Hanover. Losing games to teams you shouldn't happens sometimes - getting buried in 3-1 holes on consecutive nights is hard to accept...
                        Am hearing what you are saying; looking past a team (and I think esp in this sport) is a big no no. And as for getting down 3-1 not a good look. Thanks for clarifying that's pretty much what I thought you meant. Crazy those scores were the same and they had the same dilemma both nights...Watching the game re-caps it's almost like shock, or realization of what they did not do to get the job done. I didn't see the Army game but my seat mates said the game wasn't as bad we just didn't bury our chances and DT didn't have the support he's seen lately. We had our chances to tie it in the 3rd but too little, too late but made it interesting the last few minutes. 60 minutes...the dream of hockey coaches everywhere!

On another note, while an extremely small sample, any comments about Mike R getting out there? 12 saves. I was glad to see him and hope he gets more chances as he's our guy next year.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Not to be the annoying "told ya so" type ... but I think both games showed the importance of playing with a lead as opposed to amassing an edge - small OR large - in SOG's, no?

Couldn't agree more with Dan on the "entitled" look of UNH, in both games (at least on the replays I saw).
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

The only excuse I’ll give them is that a lot of their key pieces are very young. I am miffed at Gildon for his sometimes indifferent play but I have to remember he is 18 (or did he just have a birthday?). The way UNH played this weekend screamed for having a veteran goaltender, a senior who has been through the wars and knows how to be a calming presence. Oh wait. He got pulled yesterday? Really. What were the circumstances? Warranted?

Comment

The only excuse I’ll give them is that a lot of their key pieces are very young. I am miffed at Gildon for his sometimes indifferent play but I have to remember he is 18 (or did he just have a birthday?). The way UNH played this weekend screamed for having a veteran goaltender, a senior who has been through the wars and knows how to be a calming presence. Oh wait. He got pulled yesterday? Really. What were the circumstances? Warranted?
                              He's had a good season, but the goalie was awful this weekend. Two softies each night - at bad times - and a third in each game played very poorly though each may have been goals anyway. Hopefully, for his sake and the teams' just a weekend aberration and not a sign of things to come. Definitely warrented, the numbers I posted earlier were his stats for the weekend...

Gildon doesn't turn 19 until after the season (May) - he only recently turned 18.5...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Someone finally said it. Amen. Playing experience matters. (at this level) And when you look at how much playing time players like Sal got their frosh year? Just a thought...Personally I was surprised that DT was pulled; not that he should not have been, but that hasn't always been the typical move when we've been down. Made sense, and was totally appropriate.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-11-2017, 05:16 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X