This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef
    Very true assessment of the weekend. If I hear one more UNH fan say "we never win games after the break". Or "We never play well here" as excuses for the dismal showing I will lose my mind (what's left of it).

Disappointed but more for them (team not fans who make excuses) truth be told! The worse part (for me at least) is I'm left wondering do they just not know what to do (scary) or do they just not execute? (Scarier) Either way...it's a cluster. 😳
    Ref, unfortunately you are more than a decade late at watching this team at their best. Hopefully they will come around in the next decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
      Ref, unfortunately you are more than a decade late at watching this team at their best. Hopefully they will come around in the next decade.
      Yep I know.. I try to find good things and I've enjoyed myself for the most part but think it's time to detach and wait for the next decade �� Nope, that's not gonna work! Actually I will work on Dan's advice of finding good stuff with players and my continued reverie I have with fellow fans. Plus; it makes the winter far more livable having something to look forward to. The wins will come.
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-31-2017, 02:40 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Wow, everyone is being 'objective' today! Regardless of Grasso's actual production this year, losing him is a major blow to the offense. The D and goaltending - like the team - have been an entirely different group since the first five games. Those five games represent about 25% of the season to date - the 75% since is a better indication of who this team is and has always truly been. Want to enjoy the rest of the season - check the expectations the start to the year gave you, enjoy Max and Maass, watch for the development of the young skill Fs BVR, Blackburn and Fregona (well, not Fregona I guess) and hope UNH can manage six post-season games to get Grasso into medical redshirt territory...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• I’ve said this before, but the past few seasons are so reminiscent of the last years of Charlie Holt. His last couple of teams were just not engaged. The rosters were thin and the few good players UNH had defected to the pros early. Team was lifeless, Snively was no longer lively, and everybody from the coaches, the players, to the fans seemed to be just going through the motions. Charlie retired, followed by his hand picked successor Bob Kullen. Things didn’t get much better until Kullen’s last year before his untimely death, really because UNH was getting better caliber players. The team finished .500, won a quarterfinal round at Providence, and took BC to OT in the HE semis. If UNH is to repeat this saga 30 years later, it is all going to start with having the right coach of course but, more importantly, the right assistants. Who Souza hires to replace him will tell us most of what we need to know about the future.

As for this season, they’re done. They are not improving, they are in fact regressing and, frankly, won’t be any better than they were last year. My wife and I were discussing how many of the remaining home games
          we’ll go to this year. I can see 3 or 4 tops. And to think I used to get to 35, home and away.

Happy New Year all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Wow, everyone is being 'objective' today! Regardless of Grasso's actual production this year, losing him is a major blow to the offense. The D and goaltending - like the team - have been an entirely different group since the first five games. Those five games represent about 25% of the season to date - the 75% since is a better indication of who this team is and has always truly been. Want to enjoy the rest of the season - check the expectations the start to the year gave you, enjoy Max and Maass, watch for the development of the young skill Fs BVR, Blackburn and Fregona (well, not Fregona I guess) and hope UNH can manage six post-season games to get Grasso into medical redshirt territory...
            Well that is one way to look at it Dan. It's not easy tho. I agree about Grasso. I remember C-H-C saying the same a couple of seasons back; enjoy what you can. Here's hoping! And while many of us were deleriously hapoy with the 5-0 start I can say for myself at least, that I realized the level of competition.

I have to agree with Greg on the regression piece. Despite where UML was when we beat them twice we played so much better. The Providence, Yale and RPI wins as well. The last 4 have really been troublesome....and it's not because we have a bunch of young players out there. I don't know what it is (well I have ideas but not for this board). Still ... despite my whining and outright complaining...I remain hopeful.

Ps explain more about how redshirting works if you don't mind?
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-30-2017, 07:35 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Ps explain more about how redshirting works if you don't mind?
              To get a medical redshirt a player's injury must end his season (check), he cannot have played any games in the second half of the season (check) and he must compete in no more than 30% of the team's games (pending)...

UNH has 34 regular season games and Grasso has played in 12 of those contests. That's 35.3%. One post season series would add at least two games and give us a Grasso percentage of 33.3%. At that point the math is as follows...

Game 37 - 32.4%
              Game 38 - 31.5%
              Game 39 - 30.7% (good enough? Probably not. #NCAA)
              Game 40 - 30.0%
              Last edited by Dan; 12-30-2017, 07:54 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                To get a medical redshirt a player's injury must end his season (check), he cannot have played any games in the second half of the season (check) and he must compete in no more than 30% of the team's games (pending)...

UNH has 34 regular season games and Grasso has played in 12 of those contests. That's 35.3%. One post season series would add at least two games and give us a Grasso percentage of 33.3%. At that point the math is as follows...

Game 37 - 32.4%
                Game 38 - 31.5%
                Game 40 - 30.0%
                We should start a new "QUEST"
                UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Totally agree! While I apprecte the work WIS productions puts into it I would be more interested in this...😉 Oh and thanks Dan for the info.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Game 37 - 32.4%
                    Game 38 - 31.5%
                    Game 40 - 30.0%
                    That's going to take some doing. Best (only?) chance of it happening, with their NCAA tourney prospects dimming ... UNH ekes through the MBPBEGAM round in 3 games, and (like last year) surprises their quarterfinals opponent in the first game before getting eliminated in 3 games. Bingo, 6 "postseason" games, you're at the magic 40 number, buying Grasso and the program much-needed breaks for their respective futures.

With this being UNH Hockey, it would be typical if the NRN stopped cold at 599, and the GRSN stopped at 39 ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Totally agree! While I apprecte the work WIS productions puts into it I would be more interested in this...😉 Oh and thanks Dan for the info.
                      Two quick points. Yes, it will be the Quest again, as the March has proven to be ridiculously premature and unrealistically optimistic. And the GRSN will likely emerge as a subplot to the Quest, since the "Commesso Watch" has also been consigned to the wastebasket of UNH Hockey history. I'm hoping Souza and Stu are keeping close tabs on Crookshank and McElhaney (sp?) lest they pull a Commesso and leave the cupboard even more bare.

It's going to be one frickin' long bus ride back to the Seacoast tonight, that's for sure ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Miller made all-tourney team.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          Really? Thanks for sharing...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Really? Thanks for sharing...
                            Even in rugged New Hampshire, they are not immune to the "everyone get's a trophy" syndrome.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              He can put that award on his mantle right next to the trophy for "Hardest Wrist Shot in Hockey East"
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Personally I felt that Chris Miller was one of the few Wildcats who played a decent game both nights. Good for him for getting that acknowledgement. A bright spot on what was pretty much a dismal weekend for the 'Cats. Right now anything is better than nothing. Go 'Cats!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X