This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    You do know that I was trying to be sarcastic, right, Dan? I do not know how to insert the sarcasm emoticon with my eye-phone. :-)
    Yup. That was me agreeing...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

For those keeping score out there, I think this is a basic recap of the last few days on the UNH thread ...

* After nice wins against Providence and RPI, the 'Cats gack up two hairballs against Army and Merrimack
      * Several folks post their thoughts as to which player(s) didn't measure up in these lamentable losses
      * Towards the end, I chime in and suggest maybe the coaches' roles in these losses were being overlooked
      * Greg postulates that maybe the coaches aren't to blame when Gildon makes critical giveaways
      * I point out Gildon has been a godsend (HR faints), and agree with Greg that Gildon has lapses in judgment
      * I ponder how Gildon has repeated the same critical mistakes, raising a question of coaching vs. coachability

* Dan swoops in, somehow manages to defend both the coaching and coachability sides of my point, cautions against making the poor lad "nervous" "focused", questions my intelligence, my sanity, my coaching ability in my own sport, my cranky old man tendencies, and also manages to take a shot at the Cefalu-phile tendencies of HR, cross-checks Greg and a few others, and steamrolls over Snively65, who from the best I can tell seems to be invoking good natured sarcasm in support of Dan's rant.

* I wonder just how my (somewhat muted) criticism of the coaching staff for their team's no-shows this past weekend somehow morphed into being the leader of the "Gildon Is A Stiff" grassroots movement

Dan, my sincerest condolences to you for the passing of your pet cat/dog/goldfish/alpaca, or whatever it was that crawled up your asterisk and died this week. It's the holiday season, my goodness. Save it for the second half of the season. After this past weekend, I'm getting this increasingly sinking feeling we're gonna need it.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        For those keeping score out there, I think this is a basic recap of the last few days on the UNH thread ...

* After nice wins against Providence and RPI, the 'Cats gack up two hairballs against Army and Merrimack
        * Several folks post their thoughts as to which player(s) didn't measure up in these lamentable losses
        * Towards the end, I chime in and suggest maybe the coaches' roles in these losses were being overlooked
        * Greg postulates that maybe the coaches aren't to blame when Gildon makes critical giveaways
        * I point out Gildon has been a godsend (HR faints), and agree with Greg that Gildon has lapses in judgment
        * I ponder how Gildon has repeated the same critical mistakes, raising a question of coaching vs. coachability

* Dan swoops in, somehow manages to defend both the coaching and coachability sides of my point, cautions against making the poor lad "nervous" "focused", questions my intelligence, my sanity, my coaching ability in my own sport, my cranky old man tendencies, and also manages to take a shot at the Cefalu-phile tendencies of HR, cross-checks Greg and a few others, and steamrolls over Snively65, who from the best I can tell seems to be invoking good natured sarcasm in support of Dan's rant.

* I wonder just how my (somewhat muted) criticism of the coaching staff for their team's no-shows this past weekend somehow morphed into being the leader of the "Gildon Is A Stiff" grassroots movement

Dan, my sincerest condolences to you for the passing of your pet cat/dog/goldfish/alpaca, or whatever it was that crawled up your asterisk and died this week. It's the holiday season, my goodness. Save it for the second half of the season. After this past weekend, I'm getting this increasingly sinking feeling we're gonna need it.
        Good summary.

Comment

• Sorry Chuck - well off base. But at least you have scoreboard all in a tizzy...

My first point in this thread was clear in saying Gildon by shouldnt be stifled, that his gifts were transparent and that experience (this can include coaching), practice (this includes coaching) and working (this includes coaching) on HIS game would get him where he needs to be. I never said a word about him being above coaching or about the staff letting him play without any advisement.

You responded to that post directly afterwards by completely misrepresenting (page one in the Chuck play book) my post as a free pass for Gildon and an argument that the coaches shouldn't say boo to the FR. You knew that was a BS take and you made it anyway because you are a disingenuous debater. You argued that Gildon was not Bobby Orr and if he made future errors he should get reamed out, have his minutes cut or be bench. You argued that other HE coaches would have already set him straight. Now you want to claim that all along you never argued he should be reigned in and coached to be safe - but just that he could be a bit better...

Give me a break. You are so transparent - I knew your initial take on the coaches was how the team came to play. But when Greg responded about Gildon, you just couldn't say so and leave it at that. You had to concoct this whole scenario where Gildon wasn't being coached and twist my post into some garbage statement about him being above coaching to try to pump your own tires? Create an argument? Just be contrarian?

On top of that you've proven once again that when you can't hang on a topic, you'll dive into semantics or nit-picking word choice. In coaching, if you harp on a kids negative play they're going to be focused on avoiding negative results. And you're not going to get the best out of them. If you touch on it, coach them up and work with them to improve you will get good results. You can joke about my initial word choice of nervous and you may consider yourself a real old school mans man - but you know that is a fundamental point of coaching and a natural human reaction by the player.

If you choose to continue to nit-pick my word choice or deny that fact rather than discuss it in good faith them I'll assume you're still being disingenuous or that yes, you are in fact a coach with a lot of learning to do (And it's not me questioning it - it's you showing it). Another place you can start is by accepting you might glean things from practices and warm-ups. That's another one of your regular jokes you think embarrasses me. But trust me, if any coaches are reading - they're laughing at you - because most are always learning (warm-up hint - especially about opponents) by paying attention in those situations...

I noticed you completely avoided my example within your sport probably because it makes a point you don't want to admit. You wouldn't ream your kids out or harp on them to not make physical mistakes would you and you know it. You'd get bad results. You'd coach them on their skills so they are more efficient at what they do best - which, again, was my point in the first post I made in the topic. The one you're now trying to make. But don't admit that make another quip about 'nervous' instead...

I listed the Cefalu point as the most recent example of a phenomenon that happens here often and in the sports world all the time. Perhaps imperfectly if that wasn't those posters intent. In sports today, everyone wants to replace the imperfect star with the role guy when the star is playing at 90% without considering that the star at 90% is still that much better. I didn't even have Ref in mind when I posted - it was not remotely directed at her and I'm sorry she was offended.

It seems to me that snively was being sarcastic towards your take that the coaches weren't working with Gildon or the defense because he disagreed with you. Not to support me. That was a bad take by you. Own it. I quoted his post because it was a good one and what I wrote was once again aimed at your baseless, dodging and ever changing take on the situation. I'm sorry if he was offended.

I'm not sure what cross-checked Greg even means. As usual, Greg makes good points backed up by solid reasoning. We seemingly found the common ground of working with Max while also allowing him continued freedom as the right way to mange him (while debating the nature of the mistakes) long before you decided that was going to be your most recent take on the subject. I'm sorry if I offended him at all.

The only thing that died this week was my patience for your constant moving of the goalposts or flip-flopping within your arguments, misrepresenting other posters, inventing opposing arguments to suit yourself or your semantic nit-picking so you can pat yourself on the back and claim some sort of victory no matter where a conversation ends up. The next time we have a genuine debate where you don't try to manipulate the discussion will be the first...
          Last edited by Dan; 12-15-2017, 02:09 AM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Wow Never a dull moment ....how'd you know I fainted? That's embarrassing 😳😉. Dan I wasn't offended...I stoppped being offended 3 years ago!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

My take on Gildon is that he showed up on D1 ice, did whatever he wanted to do against early season opponents, had a couple of miscues as opponents rounded into form and improved in quality. This brought a little hesitation to his game, maybe got him thinking too much. Most Freshman would make the off season adjustment and be fine as Sophomores. I am thinking Max will make the adjustment over the break. A little "this is D1, things happen faster so be aware" coaching is in order. There may be some technical points as well, but overall I say let him play.

The scary counter point, not knowing his character, is that we are seeing why WI let him go. Thinking/hoping not.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                My take on Gildon is that he showed up on D1 ice, did whatever he wanted to do against early season opponents, had a couple of miscues as opponents rounded into form and improved in quality. This brought a little hesitation to his game, maybe got him thinking too much. Most Freshman would make the off season adjustment and be fine as Sophomores. I am thinking Max will make the adjustment over the break. A little "this is D1, things happen faster so be aware" coaching is in order. There may be some technical points as well, but overall I say let him play.

The scary counter point, not knowing his character, is that we are seeing why WI let him go. Thinking/hoping not.
                Good points! I think the question we would ask is: Is UNH better off for him being here? I think so. Obviously his talent has been noticed; I mean, he's drafted right? I know that doesn't mean everything and who knows where that's going to go. I like your idea that he 'gets it' after the break. We'll find out!!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Huh? Maybe you didn't intend it the way I read it. Wisconsin had a new staff, that overrecruits their own players, and then tried to squeeze earlier recruits to take lesser deals. A player wanting the deal promised to him when he committed (like UNH's Vecchione, Laleggia) is a sign of character, not weak character. I don't ever blame a kid who has doubts about the team playing games against him.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Dan, you are one earnest dude, I'll give you that much. I get the sense our major disconnect here is that you think we're having a debate on the floor of the United Nations, whereas I think we're chewing the fat in the stands, along the sidelines, or at a bar with hockey friends. Whatever. As I've said on here (and off here to many individual posters) ... my approach is everyone is entitled to be a fan however they may choose to be. So we can disagree, but (at least to me) I don't take if personal. I'm not sure that's the case with you, though. And per the above, hey, that's fine. If you feel the need for me to be your foil, here I am. I suppose I should be flattered. but after awhile I'll admit it gets tedious. So at some point, you may need to find another foil. Anyway, some random points (in bold) to your latest rant ...

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Sorry Chuck - well off base. But at least you have scoreboard all in a tizzy...

My first point in this thread was clear in saying Gildon by shouldnt be stifled, that his gifts were transparent and that experience (this can include coaching), practice (this includes coaching) and working (this includes coaching) on HIS game would get him where he needs to be. I never said a word about him being above coaching or about the staff letting him play without any advisement. Neither did I. I did point out that Gildon has now repeated some catastrophic mistakes, which I (and some others) considered unnecessarily high risk moves in those situations. I think it was - and still is - a fair question as to why? Your take is you don't want to break the lad's spirit, and you're willing to suffer through a few more of these things on balance. I just want to tighten up the learning curve. We disagree. Simple, no?

You responded to that post directly afterwards by completely misrepresenting (page one in the Chuck play book) my post as a free pass for Gildon and an argument that the coaches shouldn't say boo to the FR. You knew that was a BS take and you made it anyway because you are a disingenuous debater. You argued that Gildon was not Bobby Orr and if he made future errors he should get reamed out, have his minutes cut or be bench Those were a range of potential options. You argued that other HE coaches would have already set him straight (some coaches, probably yes). Now you want to claim that all along you never argued he should be reigned in and coached to be safe - but just that he could be a bit better... Go read the posts again ... now who's moving the goalposts?

Give me a break. You are so transparent - I knew your initial take on the coaches was how the team came to play Yes. But when Greg responded about Gildon, you just couldn't say so and leave it at that. You had to concoct this whole scenario where Gildon wasn't being coached and twist my post into some garbage statement about him being above coaching to try to pump your own tires? Create an argument? Just be contrarian? Or just to explore a potential developing situation with a kid I've described as a "godsend"?

On top of that you've proven once again that when you can't hang on a topic, you'll dive into semantics or nit-picking word choice. In coaching, if you harp on a kids negative play they're going to be focused on avoiding negative results. And you're not going to get the best out of them. If you touch on it, coach them up and work with them to improve you will get good results. You can joke about my initial word choice of nervous and you may consider yourself a real old school mans man - but you know that is a fundamental point of coaching and a natural human reaction by the player.

If you choose to continue to nit-pick my word choice or deny that fact rather than discuss it in good faith them I'll assume you're still being disingenuous or that yes, you are in fact a coach with a lot of learning to do (And it's not me questioning it - it's you showing it). Another place you can start is by accepting you might glean things from practices and warm-ups. That's another one of your regular jokes you think embarrasses me. But trust me, if any coaches are reading - they're laughing at you - because most are always learning (warm-up hint - especially about opponents) by paying attention in those situations...

While on the subject of nit-picking word choices ... you might want to grab your dictionary pull up Google and explore the words "rein" and "reign". It's admittedly of no importance on here, 'cuz (1) I know your intent, and (2) this is a college hockey message board, and you're among friends ... but it may save your bacon someday when you're interacting with someone in a more important setting. This is what friends do to help their friends.

I noticed you completely avoided my example within your sport probably because it makes a point you don't want to admit. You wouldn't ream your kids out or harp on them to not make physical mistakes would you and you know it. You'd get bad results. You'd coach them on their skills so they are more efficient at what they do best - which, again, was my point in the first post I made in the topic. The one you're now trying to make. But don't admit that make another quip about 'nervous' instead...Your "example" in my sport was embarrassingly off target, so don't flatter yourself. Leave it to you that when someone gives you a free pass, you want to spike the football. If you want to chat further on our personal experiences in coaching, let's go off the board (again) as I'm pretty sure no one else on here cares.

I listed the Cefalu point as the most recent example of a phenomenon that happens here often and in the sports world all the time. Perhaps imperfectly if that wasn't those posters intent. In sports today, everyone wants to replace the imperfect star with the role guy when the star is playing at 90% without considering that the star at 90% is still that much better. I didn't even have Ref in mind when I posted - it was not remotely directed at her and I'm sorry she was offended.

It seems to me that snively was being sarcastic towards your take that the coaches weren't working with Gildon or the defense because he disagreed with you. Not to support me. That was a bad take by you. Own it. I quoted his post because it was a good one and what I wrote was once again aimed at your baseless, dodging and ever changing take on the situation. I'm sorry if he was offended.

I'm not sure what cross-checked Greg even means. As usual, Greg makes good points backed up by solid reasoning. We seemingly found the common ground of working with Max while also allowing him continued freedom as the right way to mange him (while debating the nature of the mistakes) long before you decided that was going to be your most recent take on the subject. I'm sorry if I offended him at all.

The only thing that died this week was my patience for your constant moving of the goalposts or flip-flopping within your arguments, misrepresenting other posters, inventing opposing arguments to suit yourself or your semantic nit-picking so you can pat yourself on the back and claim some sort of victory no matter where a conversation ends up. The next time we have a genuine debate where you don't try to manipulate the discussion will be the first...
                    Dan, you're making this WAY too personal. You seem to be locked into some mortal-combat mindset whenever I post anything that you even faintly disagree with. I have no problem agreeing (OR disagreeing) with you, depending on the topic. I was hoping that when folks were having fun with the "Mr. Negativity" bit recently that you weren't taking yourself so GD seriously, and had matured a bit. I guess not, and that's too bad. But as I said at the outset, we all should be fans the way we want to, and if that's your way, then good for you.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Hanukkah to our USCHO friends on AND off the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Huh? Maybe you didn't intend it the way I read it. Wisconsin had a new staff, that overrecruits their own players, and then tried to squeeze earlier recruits to take lesser deals. A player wanting the deal promised to him when he committed (like UNH's Vecchione, Laleggia) is a sign of character, not weak character. I don't ever blame a kid who has doubts about the team playing games against him.
                      OK, let me weigh in on the last point Darius raises, which (given Dan's edict to "just own it") was something I'm 99.9% sure I raised as a possibility in one of my earlier posts. Yes, this is a possibility. I don't disagree with the concept 'Watcher advances that when a new coaching staff comes in, they will want to give the benefit of the doubt to "their" players, sometimes at the expense of existing players OR other incoming players in the pipeline. But if Granato (for example) had five star blue chip studs in the pipeline waiting for him, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be kicking them to the curb. Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, etc. So Granato and his staff no doubt had some decisions to make, and it appears one conclusion they may have reached was that for some reason(s), Gildon wasn't quite up to the level of what they were looking for when it came to top pairing defensemen for the future. So maybe they cut back his prior offer, Gildon didn't like it, and decided to pursue his career at UNH instead? Which on balance has indeed been a godsend for UNH. And I do agree with 'Watcher that if the kid had the rug pulled from under him, and left on principal to prove himself elsewhere, that's good on him.

But it's fair to wonder what Granato's team might have found wanting in Gildon's game, and whether we are seeing some of that in some of his less convincing performances of late? Or not??

I suspect Darius' prediction that Gildon will adjust over the break at the soonest - or as a soph at the latest - will be what happens. But it is fair to wonder about that nagging potential counterpoint. Granato nor his staff will ever say it publicly, and may never have specifically told Gildon himself, for that matter. But talent projection is an inexact science, and those who succeed in this business are very good at it, while those who aren't good at it fall by the wayside. If Gildon reaches his potential as a top two pairing NHL guy, then that's a black mark on Granato and his staff, which I'm sure their Big Ten rival programs (and others) will only be too happy to point out to future recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        OK, let me weigh in on the last point Darius raises, which (given Dan's edict to "just own it") was something I'm 99.9% sure I raised as a possibility in one of my earlier posts. Yes, this is a possibility. I don't disagree with the concept 'Watcher advances that when a new coaching staff comes in, they will want to give the benefit of the doubt to "their" players, sometimes at the expense of existing players OR other incoming players in the pipeline. But if Granato (for example) had five star blue chip studs in the pipeline waiting for him, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be kicking them to the curb. Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, etc. So Granato and his staff no doubt had some decisions to make, and it appears one conclusion they may have reached was that for some reason(s), Gildon wasn't quite up to the level of what they were looking for when it came to top pairing defensemen for the future. So maybe they cut back his prior offer, Gildon didn't like it, and decided to pursue his career at UNH instead? Which on balance has indeed been a godsend for UNH. And I do agree with 'Watcher that if the kid had the rug pulled from under him, and left on principal to prove himself elsewhere, that's good on him.

But it's fair to wonder what Granato's team might have found wanting in Gildon's game, and whether we are seeing some of that in some of his less convincing performances of late? Or not??

I suspect Darius' prediction that Gildon will adjust over the break at the soonest - or as a soph at the latest - will be what happens. But it is fair to wonder about that nagging potential counterpoint. Granato nor his staff will ever say it publicly, and may never have specifically told Gildon himself, for that matter. But talent projection is an inexact science, and those who succeed in this business are very good at it, while those who aren't good at it fall by the wayside. If Gildon reaches his potential as a top two pairing NHL guy, then that's a black mark on Granato and his staff, which I'm sure their Big Ten rival programs (and others) will only be too happy to point out to future recruits.
                        Chuck gets me. ♥

Comment

Alrighty then, everybody having fun now? Let’s see what I can come clean on.

I DID, a couple weeks ago, express concern about a certain 18-year old freshman displaying ‘excess’ confidence when handling the puck in large crowds. I would hate to see him as a 24-year old senior (that’s some higher math right there) still turning the puck over one-on-three night after night. Given the talent delta between the two players I mentioned at the time I think it is more likely than not to get better.

I’m also a Cefalu/Fregona on the fourth line fan. Will the fourth line combos have a big impact on outcomes? Probably not, but the fourth line was more noticeable and seemed (to me) to generate real chances in the early going than it has since they started rotating the parts. Sato is fun to watch in a demolition derby kind of way ...

What about that ‘first’ line? It’s not a complete replay of two years ago, but it feels a bit like that (to me). Why is Grasso still with the seniors? It doesn’t seem to be working. Put him back with his classmates for more than a game and see if they can get back to last season form. The freshman line was the most consistent last year. Kelleher hasn’t clicked with the sophomores nor Grasso with the seniors.

I was really struck by Dan’s evaluation of committed talent (recruiting thread) versus the guys they replace, and near downgrades across the board. The thing that REALLY concerned me is that so many of the current guys were already downgrades. In two seasons we lost Kelleher, Poturalski and Foegle - they haven’t been replaced (IMO); no forward currently on the roster is as good as two of them, if not all three. Side note: yes, I was a Foegle fanboy. I thought he showed a lot of promise. Comparing him directly to his classmate overlooks the two year age difference. How would a junior Foegle compare to a freshman Pots? We’ll never know., but I’d love to have him out there with Yzerman and Vela.

It may just be that this years Cats are what we feared rather than what we hoped for. Time will tell, but in the immortal words of HR,

Go Cats!
                          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Chuck - don't confuse a descriptive and adjective filled writing style with any emotion towards you as a poster/person. You think I consider you a lifelong foil, but I'm the one taking myself to seriously? Apologies, but you are not a considerable part of my thoughts outside of the moments I read your posts on this board. Credit where credit is due though - that is some world class avoidance and spin. If Gildon could spin like that he never would have turned it over against Army. Maybe you could drop in on practice this week...

One last comment and then I won't be bothering with your ramblings any more. If you want to discuss things off the board, you know how to reach me, but it won't be happening here. You've dragged me down to your level far too often already. Don't take it personally - I don't - I just don't enjoy it and I apologize to the many UNH posters who clearly haven't enjoyed it either. In other words, you have free rein (oops, wrong again!).

Watcher is 100% right on Gildon/UW - a little bit of research would clear this up for you. If you can't be bothered, understand that Watcher knows this stuff better than ANYBODY on this board. Additionally, Wisconsin - and their 30th ranked defense (2.9 GPG) - was wrong about Gildon, who has outperformed all three UW freshmen defenseman turnovers and all. But don't let that stop you from randomly speculating on hypothetical scenarios that fit your narrative...
                            Last edited by Dan; 12-15-2017, 10:36 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                              I’m also a Cefalu/Fregona on the fourth line fan. Will the fourth line combos have a big impact on outcomes? Probably not, but the fourth line was more noticeable and seemed (to me) to generate real chances in the early going than it has since they started rotating the parts. Sato is fun to watch in a demolition derby kind of way ...
                              Either the coaches are all in on the younger players and their potential (most likely) or Cefalu/Fregona are being disciplined for something we will never know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Watcher is 100% right on Gildon/UW - a little bit of research would clear this up for you. If you can't be bothered, understand that Watcher knows this stuff better than ANYBODY on this board. Additionally, Wisconsin - and their 30th ranked defense (2.9 GPG) - was wrong about Gildon, who has outperformed all three UW freshmen defenseman turnovers and all. But don't let that stop you from randomly speculating on hypothetical scenarios that fit your narrative...
                                A third, most favored, option to my original post this morning. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X