X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Yeah, I was up there that weekend. Those games were so intense when they meant something. I know the rivalry still exists but its a shadow of itself. I'm probably in the minority but am glad that Maine seems to be relevant again. Can only hope UNH is sometime soon.
    If you define "relevant" as "Champions of December 2017" or "not mired in the cellar again", I'm with you there.

Otherwise, their last 3 games include a 4-4 tie with Brown, and back-to-back losses against a Boston-based team (sound familiar?). And even looking at their recent 9 game unbeaten streak, no less than six (6) of those came against the aforementioned Brown, UVM (2) and RPI (3) - cupcakes all. And the other 3 games were against Quinnipiac (2) and BU programs experiencing "down" years. Not exactly the gauntlet there, but give UMaine their due - they devoured their cupcakes, whereas UNH gacked and spat theirs out.

UNH will drag UMaine down to its level this weekend, mark my words. Tirone Derangement Syndrome.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Top 5 get byes in the opening round.
      You're absolutely right, Mike!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        If you define "relevant" as "Champions of December 2017" or "not mired in the cellar again", I'm with you there.
        Well at least the Bears are the Champions of December 2017, as opposed to the Wildcats October 2017 title.

Actually I like this moniker better for the 'Cats:

Record prior to November 5: 6-1-1
        Record after November 5: 3-10-1

UNH Wildcats: The Champions of Daylight Saving Time!

Now the good news is that the HockeyEast Semis and Finals, as well as the NCAA tourney take place after we spring forward in March
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          So you say 0%, and "slight" probably tops out at 10-20%. We're not fishing in different ponds here.

Last year's team did exactly that, so we can't discount their chances entirely. For purposes of the GRSN only, ironically (and admittedly we're now officially visiting the land of make-believe here) it could be counterproductive for UNH to sweep its MBPBEGAM round match-up because then it would pretty much force the boys to make it to the Garden to get to the magic Game 40. And even more improbably, a four game sweep in the MBPBEGAM round AND the quarterfinals, and a loss in the semis in the Garden would still leave the GRSN at 39.

We're sticking with "slight" for now. An 11 v. 4 seed or 10 v. 5 seed match-up in the MBPBEGAM round could see our number moving a LOT closer to your forecast, though ...
          I thought that the HE quarters are also best of three ($ Ka Ching, $ Ka Ching), meaning that if we win one of those three, we get to 40 games without necessity of a visit to the Gahden?

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
            Yeah, I was up there that weekend. Those games were so intense when they meant something. I know the rivalry still exists but its a shadow of itself. I'm probably in the minority but am glad that Maine seems to be relevant again. Can only hope UNH is sometime soon.
            Despite spending two years in Orono for a grad degree before Maine had a Div 1 hockey program, I never got back for a hockey game at Alfond until two years ago when I stayed with UMaine STH friends. Whenever UNH scored, I would be seemingly the only one in the arena to jump up and yell, as my friends would be trying to pull be back into my seat by my jersey tails. Later, after Tirone's heroics, I posted something in the Maine season thread, to which Walrus or someone replied, wondering who the lone fan in the UNH jersey was. :-)

I, too, miss the heady days when both programs were relevant, the HE tourneys at the Gahden were attended by large numbers of UNH and Maine fans, and the two teams shared a couple of Frozen Fours.

I also will admit that I rooted for DU and Adam Burkhoe against the Black Bears in the 2005 NC game at the Gahden. I, know, heresy.
            Last edited by Snively65; 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              I thought that the HE quarters are also best of three ($ Ka Ching, $ Ka Ching), meaning that if we win one of those three, we get to 40 games without necessity of a visit to the Gahden?
              Both the MBPBEGAM and QF series are best of three, yes. But (again, I realize this is crazy talk) if UNH advances to the semis with two consecutive two-game sweeps, they would need to make it to the Finals to reach the GRSN.

Well at least the Bears are the Champions of December 2017, as opposed to the Wildcats October 2017 title.

Actually I like this moniker better for the 'Cats:

Record prior to November 5: 6-1-1
              Record after November 5: 3-10-1

UNH Wildcats: The Champions of Daylight Saving Time!

Now the good news is that the HockeyEast Semis and Finals, as well as the NCAA tourney take place after we spring forward in March
              ... and the bad news is before DST lapses, they'd need to win the MBPBEGAM and quarterfinal rounds first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                As a Maine fan I feel the same way about UNH. Unfortunately it seems you guys have a ways to go.

Am I right that the teams haven’t played in the playoffs since 2002? I was thinking of that a couple days ago. It’s very hard to believe.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Both the MBPBEGAM and QF series are best of three, yes. But (again, I realize this is crazy talk) if UNH advances to the semis with two consecutive two-game sweeps, they would need to make it to the Finals to reach the GRSN.

... and the bad news is before DST lapses, they'd need to win the MBPBEGAM and quarterfinal rounds first.
                  Definitely crazy talk. But, so is probably winning two games in the MBPBEGAM round and one game in the Quarters.

Comment

What a disappointing game on Sunday against Boston College. There were a few things that stood out, but I don’t have much time to write this afternoon, so I will only bring up one issue. The team’s offensive zone face-offs are awful. It appears it is just the center and one winger coming up with the plan. The other three players are not being utilized. Has UNH scored any goals this season right off of the face-off? When the opposing team wins the face-off there is no UNH player within 15 feet to pressure. So they are easily able to breakout. A well designed face-off alignment will utilize all five players (taking their strengths into consideration), have a plan if the draw is won and be in a good position to defend if it is lost. Has anybody else noticed what I have seen? This upcoming weekend games watch the offensive zone face-offs closely!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                      This upcoming weekend games watch the offensive zone face-offs closely!
                      UNH Players in HE Top-70 F/O Percentage
                      11 - Frankie Cefalu: 56-46 (54.9%)
                      36 - Marcus Vela: 150-150 (50.0%)
                      47 - Chris Miller: 34-36 (48.6%)
                      54 - Michael McNicholas: 198-226 (46.7%)
                      61 - Liam Blackburn: 158-208 (43.2%)
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

I'm guessing faceoffs are something the Coaching staff loves. It is a gritty "intangible" they can focus on, and ignore the putrid play in between faceoffs.
                        http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...made-out-to-be
                        Faceoffs aren’t necessarily a bad stat, but the amount they’re referenced is borderline absurd. It’s at the point where it’s almost impossible to get through a hockey broadcast lately without being berated by faceoff stats (or entire segments devoted to faceoffs).

It’s pretty clear why they’re often cited too, and that’s because they’re the beginning of most plays and they’re easy to analyze. Every faceoff has a clear outcome and because it’s where most plays begin, our mind assigns importance to it. People tend to remember the start and end of things, but the middle gets lost in the mix. In hockey, that’s where the most meaningful things happen and because they’re more difficult to recall, faceoffs are used as a crutch. The way most broadcasts talk about faceoffs, you’d think it’s the most vital aspect to winning hockey games, when in reality it’s much farther down the totem pole.
                        Stoll is a detriment to whatever team he plays for because he simply can’t do much else outside the circle. And yet, that’s the stat that was cited most frequently after his waiver claim, and it was likely the reason for the claim too. Stats guys talk about shot rates because it does a fair job at predicting future goals – better than anything else that’s currently available. Faceoffs don’t. All they tell you is who won the faceoff. They have their place, but they’re just not as important as they’re made out to be.
                        http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...what-its-worth
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-16-2018, 05:16 PM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                          What a disappointing game on Sunday against Boston College. There were a few things that stood out, but I don’t have much time to write this afternoon, so I will only bring up one issue. The team’s offensive zone face-offs are awful. It appears it is just the center and one winger coming up with the plan. The other three players are not being utilized. Has UNH scored any goals this season right off of the face-off? When the opposing team wins the face-off there is no UNH player within 15 feet to pressure. So they are easily able to breakout. A well designed face-off alignment will utilize all five players (taking their strengths into consideration), have a plan if the draw is won and be in a good position to defend if it is lost. Has anybody else noticed what I have seen? This upcoming weekend games watch the offensive zone face-offs closely!
                          I did see one nice laser shot just wide left by Salvaggio straight off the faceoff draw won by McNicholas on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            I did see one nice laser shot just wide left by Salvaggio...
                            I see that play often...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              I did see one nice laser shot just wide left by Salvaggio straight off the faceoff draw won by McNicholas on Sunday.
                              Sal has a great shot. Here's hoping he (and the rest of them) land a few against Maine this weekend. Go 'Cats!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I see that play often...
                                Actually I was not trying to be sarcastic in my post. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X