X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Ah, ha! That must explain in part the two-month-long winless streak. Cooped on long bus trips not a good recipe for flu avoidance either. Bummer.
    Right!!! 'Cause none of the other teams have to take long bus trips
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Ah, ha! That must explain in part the two-month-long winless streak. Cooped on long bus trips not a good recipe for flu avoidance either. Bummer.
      Of course it doesn't explain it....but it has to be hard to play a D1 hockey game for 60 mins. when you have the flu. Whatever...
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Unfortunately it’s very legit. My wife had it for three weeks and couldn’t even get out of bed for the first two days.
        I have had lots of kids out with it as well; hope she is feeling better! Every team faces adversity of some kind, one way or the other.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Now, to the question that we can't reverse history, what do you do now? Dan talks about top level outlines, but I have no doubt that UNH has been doing that ... trying to recruit skilled kids, identifying a model, etc. The problem is none of the known kids are taking the offers. So right now they are fishing in pools of unknowns, hoping they can spot a hidden talent. Take a look at the list I posted of what other teams were pursuing our players.....most are "UNH was the first school to take notice, or to offer." Do we trust the ability to find those unknowns. the Lucas Bahns and Corson Greens of the world?
          I agree with most everything you state - but my issue here is not that they do not targeting top talents initially. The problem is that they're missing and then abandoning that model and moving on kids who do not fit those molds. So you have a program missing on the top offensive defensemen and then throwing scholarship money at players who have flashed (some) offensive ability in HS or lower-levels of junior hockey. My point was that if they cannot land truly skilled offensive defensemen then they should target defensive stalwarts. Now they're stuck in between with defensive players who don't excel at either end. When they Wyse (D)/Gildon(O) types haven't fallen in their lap they've rushed to settle for the Bahn/Green/Verrier types. None of those players' ceiling is any where near the original model...

Its been the same story offensively. They've missed on their first-choice goal scorers and instead of continuing to pursue scorers (even flawed guys, who have a history of putting pucks in the net) they've stocked up on bottom six guys. They need guys who can score, otherwise this program is just going to get worse. Instead of throwing scholarships at guys who have never really been scorers and hoping they develop that ability (Does that ever happen). They should be targeting guys who can finish, but may or may not have other weaknesses. A guy like Brett Hemingway, was a mediocre skater but he could fill the net. Instead they're going to have to force bottom-six forwards into scoring roles. That wont work.

They need to set their models and stick to them. When you're looking for scoring and miss on your top guys, you can't settle for guys who don't score. When you miss on the best offensive or two-way defensemen, you can't settle for inferior puck movers who aren't great in either end - you get the guys who are, at least, strong in their own zone. This is where their recruiting models start to show a haphazardness...

2018 Jr. Hockey Goal-Scoring For Mike Souza Recruits:
          Angus Crookshank - 32 GP, 17 G
          Chase Stevenson - 30 GP, 7 G
          Marek Wazny - 34 GP, 6 G
          Ryan Verrier - 30 GP, 3 G
          Corson Green - 31 GP, 2 G
          Lucas Bahn - 30 GP, 1 G
          Total - 187 GP, 36 G (0.19 GPG)

So we have Crookshank as the lone true offensive impact player in the Souza pipeline. And NOT ONE recruit currently scoring in the premier junior league the USHL - where what you produce is a darn good indicator of who you'll be in college. I bet they'd regret blowing off Trenton Bliss now. The BCHL is a good league, but skews offensively. The numbers in Eastern league mean nothing.

Pierson and Stutzle are scoring - but are still two/three years away, respectively, and are still playing HS/minor hockey. I'd expect Stutzle to still score at the next levels - but him developing too quickly to ever make it to UNH is a real threat. Pierson is a high-energy and effort kid who's junior/NCAA scoring ability is still a real a question mark. Sweeney isn't even scoring at the prep level. The two remaining non-Souza recruits are Esposito (20 goals in 135 USHL games) and Cippolone (13 goals in 75 USHL/BCHL games), who is now tearing up an inferior junior league. Who scores for this team moving forward? Blackburn, Grasso, Crookshank and who?? Its time to get some goal-scorers. I don't care if they skate like donkeys and are allergic to the defensive blueline...
          Last edited by Dan; 01-29-2018, 12:46 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Top Uncommitted 2018 USHL/BCHL Goal Scorers
            *Filip Suchy '97 (USHL) - 17 G, 28 GP
            *Nicolas Werbik '97 (USHL) - 15 G, 34 GP
            *Marek Valach '98 (USHL) - 14 G, 33 GP

Eric Linell '98 (BCHL) - 24 G, 47 GP
            Justin Michaelian '97 (BCHL) - 22 G, 42 GP
            *Ben Brar '98 (BCHL) - 22 G, 48 GP
            Jared Marino '97 (BCHL) - 19 G, 47 GP
            *Ben Poisson '99 (BCHL) - 19 G, 48 GP
            *Levi Glassman '99 (BCHL) - 19 G, 48 GP

* I'd offer these guys now and get real eyes on the rest ASAP.

I'd also offer '98 Grant Cruikshank - he only has 11 goals this year, but has 43 in 83 BCHL games - and despite ND rumors is still uncommitted. And I'd over pay for these guys if I had to because something has to get the ball rolling...
            Last edited by Dan; 01-29-2018, 01:49 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I agree with most everything you state - but my issue here is not that they do not targeting top talents initially. The problem is that they're missing and then abandoning that model and moving on kids who do not fit those molds. So you have a program missing on the top offensive defensemen and then throwing scholarship money at players who have flashed (some) offensive ability in HS or lower-levels of junior hockey. My point was that if they cannot land truly skilled offensive defensemen then they should target defensive stalwarts. Now they're stuck in between with defensive players who don't excel at either end. When they Wyse (D)/Gildon(O) types haven't fallen in their lap they've rushed to settle for the Bahn/Green/Verrier types. None of those players' ceiling is any where near the original model...

Its been the same story offensively. They've missed on their first-choice goal scorers and instead of continuing to pursue scorers (even flawed guys, who have a history of putting pucks in the net) they've stocked up on bottom six guys. They need guys who can score, otherwise this program is just going to get worse. Instead of throwing scholarships at guys who have never really been scorers and hoping they develop that ability (Does that ever happen). They should be targeting guys who can finish, but may or may not have other weaknesses. A guy like Brett Hemingway, was a mediocre skater but he could fill the net. Instead they're going to have to force bottom-six forwards into scoring roles. That wont work.

They need to set their models and stick to them. When you're looking for scoring and miss on your top guys, you can't settle for guys who don't score. When you miss on the best offensive or two-way defensemen, you can't settle for inferior puck movers who aren't great in either end - you get the guys who are, at least, strong in their own zone. This is where their recruiting models start to show a haphazardness...
              I guess I hope they have a model... it is just the wrong one.

It seems if they can't get a complete forward that can score they go after the guy who can skate and is defensively responsible. It is a model Old 599 loves, he wants his dependable pluggers.

At least it seems on the D end they have adopted the view of if not complete, high end O or high end D skills/potential (Gildon -O, Wyse-D, Maass-D).

Now if we could just get them to understand whoever hand scribbled (McCloskey or Torts) that note was referring to the D core...
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

2018 Jr. Hockey Goal-Scoring For Mike Souza Recruits:
                Angus Crookshank - 32 GP, 17 G
                Chase Stevenson - 30 GP, 7 G
                Marek Wazny - 34 GP, 6 G
                Ryan Verrier - 30 GP, 3 G
                Corson Green - 31 GP, 2 G
                Lucas Bahn - 30 GP, 1 G
                Total - 187 GP, 36 G (0.19 GPG)

So we have Crookshank as the lone true offensive impact player in the Souza pipeline. And NOT ONE recruit currently scoring in the premier junior league the USHL - where what you produce is a darn good indicator of who you'll be in college. I bet they'd regret blowing off Trenton Bliss now. The BCHL is a good league, but skews offensively. The numbers in Eastern league mean nothing.

Pierson and Stutzle are scoring - but are still two/three years away, respectively, and are still playing HS/minor hockey. I'd expect Stutzle to still score at the next levels - but him developing too quickly to ever make it to UNH is a real threat. Pierson is a high-energy and effort kid who's junior/NCAA scoring ability is still a real a question mark. Sweeney isn't even scoring at the prep level. The two remaining non-Souza recruits are Esposito (20 goals in 135 USHL games) and Cippolone (13 goals in 75 USHL/BCHL games), who is now tearing up an inferior junior league. Who scores for this team moving forward? Blackburn, Grasso, Crookshank and who?? Its time to get some goal-scorers. I don't care if they skate like donkeys and are allergic to the defensive blueline...
                Who was Trenton Bliss? Your comment about skating ability; in the UNH v PC HE Semi one of NESN's sports announcers (I believe it was Tom Caron) says something about Kevin Goumas' 'unorthodox skating style' or something to that affect as he manages to score on Gillies. (twice in that game I might add) Ha! Who cares how they skate? We could use a few players like Kevin Goumas right now....
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  I guess I hope they have a model... it is just the wrong one.

It seems if they can't get a complete forward that can score they go after the guy who can skate and is defensively responsible. It is a model Old 599 loves, he wants his dependable pluggers.

At least it seems on the D end they have adopted the view of if not complete, high end O or high end D skills/potential (Gildon -O, Wyse-D, Maass-D).

Now if we could just get them to understand whoever hand scribbled (McCloskey or Torts) that note was referring to the D core...
                  JB, I would like to use your thoughts to pipe in on lots of thoughts and observations going forward. As has been pointed out, Lassonde probably can't be bought with the UNH dollars and I would wonder if he would want to travel, as we all believe someone must. I believe that McCloskey was the best that I ever experienced in the past 20+ years, but I can't believe that he could ever be offered a job at UNH, especially now. Loved him but he lost it and it can't be overlooked.
                  With all the identified needs, experience recruiting, connections, coaching skill set, and perhaps a stronger sense of playing D and goalie oversight on a daily basis. Man we are looking for an individual that I can't believe exists. And he has to come for a very low price tag.
                  Let me ask this. Do we need 2 new coaches? Is that the only way that we can cover all of these needs?

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Let me ask this. Do we need 2 new coaches? Is that the only way that we can cover all of these needs?
                    Well the NCAA says you can only have 3 paid hockey coaches and I believe just one volunteer assistant. That is why there are guys like the Director of Hockey Operations - not a coach but does all the planning stuff to make sure everybody gets where they belong so presumably the coaches can focus on coaching.

So on the ice you need to cover:
                    Forwards,
                    Defense,
                    Goalies,
                    PP,
                    PK,
                    Recruiting *not on the ice BUT most important

Everybody I know that has been involved in college athletics says it is all about the recruiting. It is also the biggest issue right now. You may have a lead guy on the road like McCloskey (or Standbrook for Maine) was, however everybody recruits and Lassonde did plenty in the past, as did Umile in the early years. Last year there was a story about Jerry York in Alberta the weekend before Christmas recruiting, EVERYBODY RECRUITS. From there you need to figure out what you can do and think through some scenarios. Thinking strategically about how everything is impacted.

If I get Lassonde he gives me - ??? - experience running Goalies, D and PK, creditability in recruiting (enough?), allows me to get better in Goal faster to be more competitive - maybe with lesser talent, is only going to want to be around ?? years, has experience coaching D and in the past did pretty well without super high end talent...

Is Stewart up? Can he do the job on the road for the recruiting? That would mean has relationships, can spot "the guy" that others don't. Can understand the plan and find the right ingredients

That would leave Souza in the roll the last head guy had, head coach, forwards and PP. Can Souza do the forwards? He was a forward but I think his coaching experience has been on D.

Maybe the biggest strategy question is, IF Souza is your guy.
                    Last edited by JB; 01-29-2018, 04:30 PM.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Well the NCAA says you can only have 3 paid hockey coaches and I believe just one volunteer assistant. That is why there are guys like the Director of Hockey Operations - not a coach but does all the planning stuff to make sure everybody gets where they belong so presumably the coaches can focus on coaching.

So on the ice you need to cover:
                      Forwards,
                      Defense,
                      Goalies,
                      PP,
                      PK,
                      Recruiting *not on the ice BUT most important

Everybody I know that has been involved in college athletics says it is all about the recruiting. It is also the biggest issue right now. You may have a lead guy on the road like McCloskey (or Standbrook for Maine) was, however everybody recruits and Lassonde did plenty in the past, as did Umile in the early years. Last year there was a story about Jerry York in Alberta the weekend before Christmas recruiting, EVERYBODY RECRUITS. From there you need to figure out what you can do and think through some scenarios. Thinking strategically about how everything is impacted.

If I get Lassonde he gives me - ??? - experience running Goalies, D and PK, creditability in recruiting (enough?), allows me to get better in Goal faster to be more competitive - maybe with lesser talent, is only going to want to be around ?? years, has experience coaching D and in the past did pretty well without super high end talent...

Is Stewart up? Can he do the job on the road for the recruiting? That would mean has relationships, can spot "the guy" that others don't. Can understand the plan and find the right ingredients

That would leave Souza in the roll the last head guy had, head coach, forwards and PP. Can Souza do the forwards? He was a forward but I think his coaching experience has been on D.

Maybe the biggest strategy question is, IF Souza is your guy.
                      I thought that Souza was already in charge of our PP, you know, the one that positions our two extra attackers behind the opposing net on the 5 on 3, to ensure no chance of getting even one SOG?

Comment

I thought that Souza was already in charge of our PP, you know, the one that positions our two extra attackers behind the opposing net on the 5 on 3, to ensure no chance of getting even one SOG?
                        I believe it is as follows...

Umile - CEO baby!!
                        Souza - D, PP, Lead Recruiter
                        Stewart - F, PK, Recruiter
                        Foster - G

JB is right though that the BEST recruiting staffs have all three coaches involved. Umile's absentee approach has been a huge factor - both in terms of the mistakes that have been made (extra eyes spot these?) and creating a more difficult sell to prospects (they want to hear from the HC)...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Still time to enter this contest, or change your bids. :-)

Ok, if I have not missed any entries the past few days, we now have seven contestants in where and against whom the Cats will play their MBPBEGAM round this season.

Snively65 -- at Maine
                          e.cat and Felger -- UMass-Flagship at the Whitt
                          Ref -- Yukon at the Whitt
                          Aerman -- at Yukon
                          Deltabravo and Chuck Murray -- at UMass-Flagship

Still plenty of time for more entries, but perhaps we should have a deadline, say no more entries, or changes, after midnight the day after the UMass-Flagship game at the Whitt on Saturday, February 3rd. So, the deadline will be Sunday, February 4th, midnight.
                          Edit: after Mac got swept by UVM this past weekend, I have changed my bid to Orono, following Felger's revelation about the UNH master plan.

Felger now joins e.cat with UMass-Flagship at the Whitt, and aerman now has us visiting Yukon.
                          Last edited by Snively65; 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            I believe it is as follows...

Umile - CEO baby!!
                            Souza - D, PP, Lead Recruiter
                            Stewart - F, PK, Recruiter
                            Foster - G

JB is right though that the BEST recruiting staffs have all three coaches involved. Umile's absentee approach has been a huge factor - both in terms of the mistakes that have been made (extra eyes spot these?) and creating a more difficult sell to prospects (they want to hear from the HC)...
                            Thanks, Dan.

Ok, Stewie is da Man this season, based on the Cats PK, anyway. :-)

Comment

Yeah I hate that 5-3 PP too.

I think I have made it clear I would seriously consider not promoting Souza. We all are short on some information and as fans we never have all of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                                Yeah I hate that 5-3 PP too.

I think I have made it clear I would seriously consider not promoting Souza. We all are short on some information and as fans we never have all of it.
                                But, I am sure that was a done deal, in writing, three years ago, otherwise he would not have left Yukon.

Comment

Working...
                                X