Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    At this point we should be praying they get enough games in so that Grasso gets his red shirt.
    At this rate, Grasso is probably praying they don't ... the outlook for this team three seasons out is downright dire.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Having lived through numerous similar "typical January" UNH Hockey experiences, I'm still surprised at this one.
    I know. The coaches looked at this roster and said "that's a ninth place team." Can't believe they're underperforming and are in 10th. If only they could play up to their talent level.

“I’m excited to come back for the final season of my contract and still have a strong desire to win,” Umile added. “With a strong nucleus returning and exciting newcomers on the way, we are determined to get UNH hockey back to the level of annually competing in the NCAA tournament.”

“Coach Umile and I spoke about how this next season will be spent continuing the effort to re-build UNH hockey into a national caliber program that competes in the NCAA tournament and eventually the Frozen Four,” New Hampshire athletic director Marty Scarano said. “That has been, and always will be, our aspiration. We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here already changing the culture in recruiting, and he will hit the ground running at the conclusion of next year.

“We look forward to the challenge of reaching NCAAs next year and our focus is on having the program in great shape when Mike Souza takes over as head coach,” Umile said.
    But remember, it wasn't over after the German's bombed Pearl Harbor.

(Was Umile coaching back then?)
    Mister blue sky please tell us why
    You had to hide away for so long (so long)
    Where did we go wrong?

0-6-1 in last 7...sigh
    Now 3-10-1 in last 14 games, for 7 points. At least we are not settling for ties much this season. Only two teams have fewer points in their last 14 games, from what I could tell: RPI and Anchorage, with 5 points each; UVM also had 7 points in their last 14 games. So, things could be worse.

And, for Felger, UNH has now lost more games without Grasso (6) than with Grasso (5).

Team PK, which was third in country at the end of December, is now 7th. Team O now 33rd, D 22nd, PP 25th (good work, Souza), and P Mins 43rd (not bad, but no longer SMTs either). Finally, we are one of 15 teams without a SHG.

I spent much of the game focused on Gildon, who indeed seems to have been reined in to me, hardly breaks out with puck any longer, trying instead to thread passes to his incompetent teammates who cannot corral a puck for the life of themselves, but he is still making mistakes on front of his own net. He was one of the few players that I enjoyed watching earlier in the season. Liked what Sato brought today with multiple solo rushes with the puck down ice, but unfortunately could not finish.

And, for Tirone, now 37th in GAA and 27th in SV%, but 14th in minutes and tied for 4th in SO's.
    Last edited by Snively65; 01-14-2018 at 07:30 PM.

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    ...But remember, it wasn't over after the German's bombed Pearl Harbor...
    Tell me you're pulling our collective leg about the Germans (not German's) bombing Pearl Harbor. (If they really did, those Messerschmidt fighter bombers must have had gi-normous wing tanks.)
    Last edited by Split-N; 01-14-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    One for every fan. Nice...
    That's some fuzzy math

Good god these bc announcers are awful homers.

edit: Its Ken Hodge. Cripse, you understand how he barely got into BC academically. Hint, when you talk about your buddy, you say "Fitzy." When you are announcing, its Fitzgerald.
    Ken Hodge hasn't done the games in a few years now. It's Jon Rish and Andy Powers. No different than any other duo I've ever heard in college hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Tell me you're pulling our collective leg about the Germans (not German's) bombing Pearl Harbor. (If they really did, those Messerschmidt fighter bombers must have had gi-normous wing tanks.)
    Those Messerschmidts were Fokkers
    Where did we go wrong?

Desk Chair Coach
    Don't stop him he's on a roll.

It is a little sad you don't recognize the movie reference.

Coach Sarah's Dad! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The Non-Quest predicted record for the remaining 16 games (NQPRFTRSG) will be 0-3-1 on the morning of Jan. 15.
    ........Again, he whistles softly and quietly walks away. Begins kicking a random empty can along the lonely road......
    Last edited by Scott; 01-14-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    Move along folks, move along....nothing to see here.....

Coach Sarah's Dad! :)

Those Messerschmidts were Fokkers
    The ones with the gi-normous wing tanks were known as Mother Fokkers.
    Move along folks, move along....nothing to see here.....

So you've never seen Animal House? Sigh, you youngsters missed all the best bands and most of the best movies!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Seasoned Veteran
    I know. The coaches looked at this roster and said "that's a ninth place team." Can't believe they're underperforming and are in 10th. If only they could play up to their talent level.

But remember, it wasn't over after the German's bombed Pearl Harbor.

(Was Umile coaching back then?)
    It's a good thing we beat back the Germans in the Pacific otherwise we'd all be speaking German now instead of English!

Making Tim Stutzle and Kohei Sato native speakers, and Umile uninteligible.....
    Where did we go wrong?

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Quote Originally Posted by RENCEB View Post
    So you've never seen Animal House? Sigh, you youngsters missed all the best bands and most of the best movies!
    Couldn't resist....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI
    #NewEraCats

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Ken Hodge hasn't done the games in a few years now. It's Jon Rish and Andy Powers. No different than any other duo I've ever heard in college hockey.
    Jon Rish is, and always has been, excellent...............Andy Powers was and is unlistenable (not a word but....) , even for an Eagle fan. He'd make Johnny Most look impartial

Doesn't sound like a very happy bus ride home yesterday....

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS22/180119566
    #NewEraCats

Doesn't sound like a very happy bus ride home yesterday....

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS22/180119566
    “I told the team we’ll talk when we get home because I don’t want to say something but right now we’re not playing very well as a team,” said Umile
    Asked about the recent slide, Umile was even more concise.

“You don’t have to remind me of that. Everybody’s contributing. We’re finding new ways not to win games. It seems everybody takes a turn.”
    Oooh, tough guy.

I hope a real leader would speak up and say "what the hell are you contributing? Is it your stellar recruiting and hiring decisions that has led to this crap talent level that everyone outside the UNH bubble has seen, or is it your stellar coaching that has gotten us into a nosedive every year since 2013? If you're just hanging on for your own selfish personal reasons, that's on you. Nobody wanted you to come back last March, but here we are."

“It’s really frustrating. But everyone in that locker room holds himself responsible. We hold each other accountable.”
    Not everyone. There's a whole leadership group that keeps his job even though they screw up decision after decision, after decision.
    “That’s sort of how it was presented to me,” Souza said. “It had to be pretty persuasive for me to leave UConn. Hopefully, if things go well and we continue to win, I’ll get that opportunity when Coach does retire. Obviously, that weighed into my decision. I had a lot of responsibilities at Connecticut in terms of coaching, and if I came back I had to have the same opportunity.”
    So, how's that accountability for hitting the defined standards going????? Oh right, it's only the kids who are held accountable for results.

"We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here already changing the culture in recruiting, and he will hit the ground running at the conclusion of next year.” said Scarano
    You're just trolling us on your own incompetence now, aren't you?

“We’ve just been on the wrong side of it in the last few years.” said Chanter
    You're getting warmer to speaking the truth. Out of the mouth of babes.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-15-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    Where did we go wrong?

Does Souza have his staff lined up? Right now Mike Ayers is an assistant at BC but not under the Associate Head Coach title. Would he be a candidate to join Souza's staff in that role?

Does Souza have his staff lined up? Right now Mike Ayers is an assistant at BC but not under the Associate Head Coach title. Would he be a candidate to join Souza's staff in that role?
    Does he have recruiting responsibilities at BC? (I am sorry I know little/nothing about how they do things there) I pointed him out yesterday to someone at the game and said that it would be cool to have him join us; he's a D guy...he's an alum (seems to be fitting to add another UNH alum although others here might debate that). Regardless of whom is being considered they absolutely must have those traits I mentioned: a defensive coach, and, a recruiter. Maybe not in that order either! As far as I've heard there hasn't been any public info about what UNH hockey is doing in this regard at this time, but, I would imagine this is in the works (the new Asst. coach that is).

Another UNH alum that has come to mind for some is Brown's Josh Ciocco...
    #NewEraCats

Not sure why Ayers would want to leave the Heights for Durham right now, even for a bump in title. Of course as a UNH fan I hope he does, because to listen to some on here he is one of those who has that "special status" that can help lead the 'Cats back to the top.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Thread Information