This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Maybe Clark will get some more starts to see whether he should come back next year? My guess is that Clark might play against the better teams and not against the cupcakes (are there any cupcakes other than ourselves?), as the Cats need five more wins, presumably against cupcakes (if they indeed exist), for DU (not Denver University) to reach the NRN. My new prediction is that No. 600 will come against the Warriors in North Andover in the MBPBEGAM round.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      I abhor my cable provider; can't get NHL Network either
      This is why I have had DirecTV for 20 years. (albeit that does result in additional money since you still need internet and satellite internet is awful). If you are really into sports it’s a good deal, though. And they now bundle with AT&T wireless for discounted packages.

Comment

Less than 4 hour before puck drops to begin the Cats' resurgence in The Quest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Less than 4 hour before puck drops to begin the Cats' resurgence in The Quest.
          Heading down! Go 'Cats!!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Both teams should be well rested after 40 hours off. BC lost to PC 4-1 on Friday night, and we beat PC, so ........ just need a good pep talk in the locker room by the Captain.
            Last edited by Snively65; 01-14-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

In the aftermath of Clark's "surprise" start against BU on Friday night, let me put a wrap on the latest WIS Challenge, which was based on some quotes taken from various UNH personnel in the aftermath of the previous weekend's loss to Brown, as reported by Al Pike at Foster's Daily Democrat. The challenge was to match the listed UNH personnel with the following quotes. A link to the article follows below; I've now posted the answers next to the quotes:

(A) Danny Tirone
              (B) Liam Blackburn
              (C) Dylan "Foxhole" Chanter
              (D) Coach Dick Umile

(1) “Give them credit for coming back. Give us no credit for the pushback and the effort.” Umile

(2) “In the third period I think they had more left in the tank than we did, and it showed.” Tirone

(3) “We weren’t really up 4-0 the way the game was going early. They had a lot of chances. They missed some of their best opportunities early. They played harder and longer than we did.” Tirone

(4) “They just didn’t quit. They were relentless. Eventually something’s got to go in for them.” Blackburn

(5) “We talked about playing a 60-minute hockey game before the game, after the first period, after the second period and did absolutely nothing in the third period.” Umile

(6) “Throughout the third period they were all over us and I don’t think we responded as well as we should have. It just seemed like they were winning the puck battles and spending a lot of time in our zone. They got the momentum going and we didn’t respond the way that we should have and need to. That’s disappointing.” Tirone

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201801...-drawing-brown

I think if you read Tirone's comments - and to be fair (1) he uses the word "we", and (2) it's hard to disagree with anything he's said in any of those three quotes - you can read a lot of different things into them. To me, first of all, he's basically saying the same things his head coach said, but in a little more detail. Secondly, while he often uses the word "we", it's probably fair to assume he is directing the "more in the tank" comment to his teammates, as I don't think that as commendable as their effort was, Brown "wore out" the goalie. Tirone's second comment (the "longer and harder" one) also appears to be an indictment of his teammates' efforts, and also attributes a 4-0 lead to some degree of puck-luck (or as English footballers might say, the 4-0 scoreline somewhat flattered the hosts).

The third and final comment from Tirone really leaves nothing up for interpretation though, does it? It stops short of accusing teammates of quitting, but it does not paint a flattering picture of how he perceived the efforts of his teammates to raise their games in response to a motivated opponent raising theirs. And again, this is not any different than what Coach Umile had to say, in far less words. Even the Blackburn comment seems to indirectly support the comments by his coach and his alternate captain, as he makes it seem as if UNH was powerless to push back against the non-stop onslaught of the Ivy League speedbump "Big Bad Bears" of Brown. I mean ... Brown ... really????

But there were zero (0) comments attributed to the actual team captain, Dylan "Foxhole" Chanter. I guess when the going gets tough, our formerly glib and gregarious C goes into radio silence?? In the end, it's probably not his fault that he was selected as an "in over my head" captain like many before him in recent years (excepting Cleland, a legit 4 year regular and top pairing guy by the end of his UNH career). Just another *terrific* choice for a team leadership role, by a coach who has apparently either deemed actual leadership as less important than contrived leadership to congratulate a kid from working his way out of the stands as a JUNIOR, or just dismisses the quality entirely to the point where he lets his players make this decision for him. Kids whose ideas of leadership are probably framed by popularity or who has the best "cause" or story. Of course, there IS the (frightening) possibility that among these D-1 scholar athletes, there are no actual true leaders among them? I'll save that point for a future possible rant, if our recruiters can actually recruit someone.

So take your pick. Either Coach Umile huddled with Souza and Stu (or just by his lonesome) and decided that a change of goalies Friday was warranted because:

(1) Tirone has been playing relatively poorly, and Clark deserved a shot (at long last);
              (2) Tirone went a *mite* too far with some of his (highly accurate) criticisms after the Brown debacle; or
              (3) Like changing a goalie when the team is sleepwalking through a game, Umile thought it might wake everyone up?

For what it's worth, I agree with Felger AND Dan. The timing for Clark's cameo was abysmal. Why this didn't happen before the break OR on the second game of the Ledyard Classic, or even the Brown game itself ... who knows? Personally, as much light as I've made of the whole "Quest for the NRN" thing, it's frankly hard to ignore this may all be coloring Coach Umile's decision-making with his goalies. The UNH season is once again threatening to circle the drain in January (shocking I tellya), and we will see where Coach Umile's priorities lie. Let's see what happens if/when this losing streak (including the Brown *loss*) continues, and the outlook for the postseason dims further and further. Tirone is the only one of the three goalies who is definitely not coming back next season. And with no new goalie recruits on the immediate horizon, it's looking more and more like Clark may stick around for his final season of eligibility to go toe-to-toe (or job share) with Robinson next season. So at what point does Umile toss Tirone aside and give Clark a real go at things?

This afternoon in Chestnut Hill may hold the first clue on the answer to that last question. Stay tuned ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Not the correct forum for this, but the "upgrade" to the USCHO web site $UCK$.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Yeah - all the Brown blame goes on Tirone's quitter teammates. It was definitely their fault he got beat on a fluttering wrist shot from the top of the circles through zero screen (goal one) and then gave up a bad rebound before letting the follow up roll up and over his pad to tie the game...

If you simply followed UNH trough the media - and thus program quotes - you'd think this guy never gave up a goal that wasn't gift-wrapped for the other team by his pitiful teammates.

Meanwhile all Umile can say for Clark after stopping 35-of-38 and making some real nice saves is, "um, he gave us a chance"...

This is what really drives me batty about the goalie situation the last few years. They've had two equivalent netminders - now three. I don't think it really makes a whip of difference who they play. How they play in front of them is critical. The goalie will make some good stops and let in some soft goals. End of story...

But UNH acts like they have a Dryden-esque savior in one hand and a literal sieve in the other. They're the same result - just different styles and sizes. Create a real and honest competition and maybe you'll get more from both (all three)...

---

As for zero Chanter quotes - in college hockey the media usually gets who the media asks for in these situations. For UNH that has always seemed to mean your choice of two players. Usually that means the captain - but on that night Blackburn scored twice and Tirone set a record (!!) so Chanter didn't get a chance to speak through no fault of his own...
                  Last edited by Dan; 01-14-2018, 11:24 AM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

DT has the start

Comment

Good god these bc announcers are awful homers.

edit: Its Ken Hodge. Cripse, you understand how he barely got into BC academically. Hint, when you talk about your buddy, you say "Fitzy." When you are announcing, its Fitzgerald.
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

UNH PP remains deplorable, now giving up SHG. :-(

Souza coaches PP, right?

Comment

Atta boy Benton Maass!!!

Comment

I expect a bit of homerism but this is tough to listen to.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Atta boy Benton Maass!!!
                              Souza obviously read to them my above post. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Souza obviously read to them my above post. :-) of
                                Hey where r u?

Comment

Working...
                                X