X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    No the Down Under Pub on Main St in Durham. Still there albeit in a modified form. Loved the place! I remember going there when I was a frosh the weekend Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin and David Dillenger were at UNH. The line was out the freakin door as it always was. I was underage to drink and my friend said: "just walk in like you own the place." and it worked!

Check this out!

http://www.seacoastnh.com/arts/please042200.html
    There was a 40-year retrospective in May 2010 at the MUB organized by an ORHS student, in which Gary Anderson, Mark Wefers, and others sat on a panel for Q&A after a showing of Gary's film 'Mayflowers.' A lot of us townies, including the original snively who has not posted here recently, knew Gary when we were still in high school, as Gary's girlfriend was the older sister of four ORHS classmates. Abbie Hoffman was prescient in one of his rants that the Old Man of the Mountain would come tumbling down, but he was 33 years almost to the date too early. We spent a lot of time in Snively for antiwar rallies, some all-nighters, long after the hockey season ended that spring.
    Last edited by Snively65; 12-05-2017, 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      There was a 40-year retrospective in May 2010 at the MUB organized by an ORHS student, in which Gary Anderson, Mark Wefers, and others sat on a panel for Q&A after a showing of Gary's film 'Mayflowers.' A lot of us townies, including the original snively who has not posted here recently, knew Gary when we were still in high school, as Gary's girlfriend was the older sister of four ORHS classmates. Abbie Hoffman was prescient in one of his rants that the Old Man of the Mountain would come tumbling down, but he was 33 years almost to the date too early. We spent a lot of time in Snively for antiwar rallies, some all-nighters, long after the hockey season ended that spring.
      Yeah and if I'm not mistaken Mark Wefers made the trip to Hanoi with Hanoi Jane Fonda in that infamous trip where Hanoi Jane was photgraphed with Vietcong on an anti aircraft gun in 1972.

Ha, leave it to Abbie Hoffman to predict the demise of the Old Man

Intersting times!
      Last edited by e.cat; 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I don't think anyone expected a sweep over UML - they're a good team, but timing is everything. Same goes for getting Colgate without Colton Point - take a look at the difference he has made on the team the past couple years. It would be best for the US WJC team if they could tab him as the starter over Woll or Oettinger (unfortunately, bureaucracy may prevent him from being on the team altogether). CC has lost 5 of 7, lets see where they are when the season is over and their early season 3-1 start versus UVM and UAA carries less weight. UMass is improved. I knew they would be - UNH is still much better.

I suppose it depends on your definition of Cupcake. Personally, I don't like the word. I look at the schedule as who is UNH better than and who is better than them. If UNH is better I expect them to win. They are the better team in each of the next six games and then nine of the final 14 games. They wont win all 15 of the games I think they should, but if they can win most of them and steal a game from the unexpected pile they'll be in a good position. We'll see what the strength of schedule is by the end of the year. I don't expect it will be top-30. As a result, they've been/will be the better team in most of their games this year. Unlike last season, the results are following. Which is a good thing.

As for this upcoming stretch - do not sleep on Army. I saw them take Air Force apart out here in the Springs. Army is a good team. I think the best team they'll face over the next six games and a team very capable of winning at the Whitt...

Unless something changed this season, Souza should still be running the PP. He is creative and does a good job designing PPs that fit the personnel available to him. In Scott Borek's final season running the PP, UNH scored at a rate of 16.5% (26 PP goals). In Souza's three seasons in charge they've turned out the following...

2015/16 - 24% (37)
        2016/17 - 21% (41)
        2017/18 - 19% (11)

Now, some of that is personnel (and there is a downward trend). For example, in 2015/16 UNH had both Poturalski and Kelleher playing on the first unit. But, I do think Souza has done a nice job being flexible and creative with PP design. That first season he let Poturalski and Kelleher take turns freelancing in the zone, he let them switch places and move in a two-man game while looking for shooting opportunities or passing lanes. It was really effective. Last season he played a modified umbrella with the two wings shifting lower into one-time positions, while Kelleher had free reign to move and circle the zone looking for chances. It was fun to watch.

This season, he rightly saw defensemen Gildon, Marks, Wyse and Maass as his best PP pieces and built the strategy around them. Their ability to get shots through to the net (especially Gildon) is a real weapon and UNH has scored most of their PP goals on deflections or screened shots. I also like the 5X3 look - which is new this year. The two players behind the net can get the goalie moving, create difficulties for him in viewing the puck and set up shooters like Gildon or Salvaggio out front. The PP was red-hot to start the year...

The issue this season, if I can get negative (and agree with your concern) for a second, is that opponents have adjusted. On the 5X4 they're being more aggressive on the point men - taking away shooting lanes. On the 5X3 opponents have (as you noted) started to expand their triangle to take away the players out front, knowing they can collapse if the players behind the net move to the crease. UNH definitely needs alternate PP looks to keep defenses honest and to adjust to adjustments. Thats the one thing they haven't done in Souza's tenure - throw multiple looks at PKs in the same game/season. They need to this year as they are currently on a 1-for-25 stretch (4%). The PP started the season at 31%. Opponents have also done a good job making zone entry difficult for UNH in recent PPs. Its definitely time for Souza to make an in-season adjustment or addition to the PP arsenal, lets see if they do it. I like the PP's they have in the bag, but mixing in different looks makes sense to me...

Denver runs a modified umbrella that I call a 'cross' look (essentially a 1-3-1). UNH could run a really effective version of this with a top-PP unit featuring Gildon, McNicholas, Salvaggio, Grasso and Eiserman/Vela. Gildon would play the point and run the PP, either looking for shots through to the net or facilitating to the wings. Grasso and McNicholas would play on the wings, attacking the PK with their feet, playmaking ability or one-timers. They'd both excel in this position and at the same time, spread the box to create lanes for Gildon. Eiserman or Vela would park themselves at the top of the crease to set screens and deflect shots and passes on net (Eiserman is a bigger body, Vela is great on the deflection). They can also drift below the goal line and then create scoring chances low to high from behind the net. Salvaggio would play in the high slot and set the lynch pin of the cross - he would give UNH a chance for deflections up high, provide a second screen and also (most importantly) be available with his big shot to take passes from the wings or from down low in prime scoring chances. Its a hard set-up to defend because there are so many options...

If UNH could slip in and out of looks - even within the same units - they could be more dangerous. Thoughts?
        Yeah good analysis Dan. UNH is running a 2×1×2 with two forwards parked behind the net in the corners. I agree trying the 1×3×1 umbrella is worth a try! I think the 2×1×2 allows the D to cheat to the middle slot area clogging up the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
          Back in the day they used to give out the end of season awards on the ice following the final home game. Still remember Bob Miller saying something to the effect of "move this thing along...we've got to get to Scorps"
          The worst was in 1974 when the Friends of Hockey decided to,give out the awards after the playoff game against RPI. The team had just lost, playing on a high emotional roller coaster the entire game, then had to sit around and endure the ceremony. I think that was the last year they did that.

Comment

• Snively, I think the biggest issue with the current 5x3 approach - as already pointed out by ATW - is the lack of movement that set-up forces on the defense. That's why they absolutely either need to add a second 5x3 look or incorporate more movement.

I think you could have the guys at the top and bottom switch spaces and/or move more in an effort to create shooting and passing lanes and still keep the advantage of plying below the goal line and making vision a real issue for the goaltender. I'd like to see the guys below the goal line, at least on occasion, move out front with the puck while the rest of the group cycles with him - that would get the goalie and triangle moving a bit more and create lanes.

Kelleher did score on the 5x3 against Colgate. Gildon has at least one 5x3 pipe. I do like the current set up in general - but all above points are valid and some tweaks may be needed. Whatever PP strategy we're talking about - they all require movement to be successful. Otherwise, you essentially nullify your extra-man (and as mentioned by ecat, the D can really settle in the key lanes)...

I'm not surprised to see opponents adjust - special teams are always the focal point in pre-game scouting and video. It's a good starting set-up - now UNH needs to adjust to the adjustment...

You are absolutely correct about the first units playing long shifts. It was one thing when they had dominant players in AP and TK. The units this year are not that far apart in my eyes and more balance in PP time and look is better for every one. They have the depth this year they haven't had in the past...

Adjustment is definitely needed now - the PP is floundering after a hot start. I hope we'll see something new during this non-conf stretch or you know me! My Souza PP props might go stale in a hurry and I'll be back here being all negative again if that 1-for-25 gets bigger and badder...
            Last edited by Dan; 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Yeah and if I'm not mistaken Mark Wefers made the trip to Hanoi with Hanoi Jane Fonda in that infamous trip where Hanoi Jane was photgraphed with Vietcong on an anti aircraft gun in 1972.

Ha, leave it to Abbie Hoffman to predict the demise of the Old Man

Intersting times!
              Wasn’t there but I have been told that Abbie called the Washington Monument the Petrofied ***** on the Potomac. I saw Abbie a couple of times back then and he could be one funny dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Snively, I think the biggest issue with the current 5x3 approach - as already pointed out by ATW - is the lack of movement that set-up forces on the defense. That's why they absolutely either need to add a second 5x3 look or incorporate more movement.

I think you could have the guys at the top and bottom switch spaces and/or move more in an effort to create shooting and passing lanes and still keep the advantage of plying below the goal line and making vision a real issue for the goaltender. I'd like to see the guys below the goal line, at least on occasion, move out front with the puck while the rest of the group cycles with him - that would get the goalie and triangle moving a bit more and create lanes.

Kelleher did score on the 5x3 against Colgate. Gildon has at least one 5x3 pipe. I do like the current set up in general - but all above points are valid and some tweaks may be needed. Whatever PP strategy we're talking about - they all require movement to be successful. Otherwise, you essentially nullify your extra-man (and as mentioned by ecat, the D can really settle in the key lanes)...

You are absolutely correct about the first units playing long shifts. It was one thing when they had dominant players in AP and TK. The units this year are not that far apart in my eyes and more balance in PP time and look is better for every one. They have the depth this year they haven't had in the past...

Adjustment is definitely needed now - the PP is floundering after a hot start. I hope we'll see something new during this non-conf stretch or you know me! My Souza PP props might go stale in a hurry and I'll be back here being all negative again if that 1-for-25 gets bigger and badder...
                My problem is that the three or four times that I have seen our 5-3 PP the past two seasons, we have not recorded a SOG, and on one occasion had a pass out front stolen and taken down ice for a shorty attempt.

Meanwhile, looks like our team will be dropping down a notch in the HE points standing in a tie for 7th, as Yukon is beating up UMass-Flagship tonight.

Comment

My problem is that the three or four times that I have seen our 5-3 PP the past two seasons, we have not recorded a SOG, and on one occasion had a pass out front stolen and taken down ice for a shorty attempt.

Meanwhile, looks like our team will be dropping down a notch in the HE points standing in a tie for 7th, as Yukon is beating up UMass-Flagship tonight.
                  Well, you've got to shoot to score. I think a lot of teams can get caught 5x3 looking for the perfect opportunity, when they need to remember they have a huge rebounding advantage plus two men . The whole current set up is designed to create shots for the two point men. So if they're passing up chances shame on them...

How about this when the puck is at the diagonal point, the men behind the net opposite the puck steps across the goal line to give a second screen/tip/rebound option? He can quickly drop back if the puck goes down low again...

It may have been UNHs stalled PP that cost Gildon a spot at the WJC Camp in lieu of Walsh, Hults and/or Perunovich...
                  Last edited by Dan; 12-05-2017, 07:24 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Wasn’t there but I have been told that Abbie called the Washington Monument the Petrofied ***** on the Potomac. I saw Abbie a couple of times back then and he could be one funny dude.
                    LOL! I think Abbie went mainstream later in life! Could be wrong about that. Go figure! Haha

Comment

Cavanaugh had his Yukon team firing on all cylinders tonight as they beat UMass-Flagship 8-2. Hope that Yukon cools off before late January.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Without checking, I think we have at least three games in hand on Yukon.
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                          Without checking, I think we have at least three games in hand on Yukon.
                          Ah, ha, the old 'games in hand' argument. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Gildon will not make the U20 Championship team as he was not named to the preliminary roster. He is eligible again next year. BUs Krys is also unnamed. If you're a fringe defender I guess it pays to play in Bob Motzko's league as three UMD defensemen make the camp roster...
                            Hate to say it but selfishly I am glad!! We need him in these next few games so Snively and I can win the NRN contest 😳...Hopefully he gets his shot next season.
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Here are the updated NRN predictions to date. The cut-off date remains before the Army game this weekend:

1/06/18 vs. Brown @ home: Snively65, HockeyRef
                              1/12/18 vs. BU @ home: phb
                              1/19/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: Dan, deltabravo
                              1/20/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: After the Whistle
                              1/26/18 vs. UConn @ home: Aerman
                              2/03/18 vs. UMass @ home: WIS

Still a lot of you regulars and semi-regulars holding out on the NRN fun ... or maybe posturing to wait for the RPI result to fine-tune your predictions perhaps? It's OK per the rules, but the bidding ends soon, so don't get left out!
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Here are the updated NRN predictions to date. The cut-off date remains before the Army game this weekend:

1/06/18 vs. Brown @ home: Snively65, HockeyRef
                                1/12/18 vs. BU @ home: phb
                                1/19/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: Dan, deltabravo
                                1/20/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: After the Whistle
                                1/26/18 vs. UConn @ home: Aerman
                                2/03/18 vs. UMass @ home: WIS

Still a lot of you regulars and semi-regulars holding out on the NRN fun ... or maybe posturing to wait for the RPI result to fine-tune your predictions perhaps? It's OK per the rules, but the bidding ends soon, so don't get left out!
                                Ha! Does that mean HR and I can change our votes if something "goes dreadfully wrong" at RPI tonight?

Comment

Working...
                                X