This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    The other Bears in Orono are now licking their chops for our Wildcats.
    Can't blame 'em. Without TyK to terrorize them, a top hot Freshman goalie and a nice win streak going on, two games at Alfond? Chomp chomp....prove me wrong 'Cats!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Anyone here remember the 2011-2012 season? Cats went 0-4-0 in December, culminating with 5-2 loss to the Brown Bears on the 30th, followed by 5-4 OT loss to Orono Black Bears on January 7th for fifth straight loss. Season (15-19-3) mercifully ended with two losses out of three games at Agannis, without trips to Gahden or NCAAs.

Senior Stevie "Mr High and Wide" Moses led team with 35 points (22 G + 13 A). Other seniors included D-man Damon Kipp (14 points), forwards Kevin McCarey and Mike "Jumbotron" Borisenok (12 points each), and G Matt Digoralamo, who lost his job in net to the one whose name cannot be mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Anyone here remember the 2011-2012 season? Cats went 0-4-0 in December, culminating with 5-2 loss to the Brown Bears on the 30th, followed by 5-4 OT loss to Orono Black Bears on January 7th for fifth straight loss. Season (15-19-3) mercifully ended with two losses out of three games at Agannis, without trips to Gahden or NCAAs.

Senior Stevie "Mr High and Wide" Moses led team with 35 points (22 G + 13 A). Other seniors included D-man Damon Kipp (14 points), forwards Kevin McCarey and Mike "Jumbotron" Borisenok (12 points each), and G Matt Digoralamo, who lost his job in net to the one whose name cannot be mentioned.
        Haha before my time; actually one year. Tell me...what so drastically changed the next season to bring them to #1 in the nation along with a trip to the Regionals (after a so-so HE run losing to PC)...? Was it on the back of the goalie who's not to be named? Seriously I am curious...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Haha before my time; actually one year. Tell me...what so drastically changed the next season to bring them to #1 in the nation along with a trip to the Regionals (after a so-so HE run losing to PC)...? Was it on the back of the goalie who's not to be named? Seriously I am curious...
          Development. A number of key players were just FR and SO in 2011-12 and became upperclassmen the next year. Goumas and Downing were spectacular, and the team got an unexpected 30 goals from Henrion and Block. On defense, Knodel, Agosta and TVR had break through seasons, Kostolansky returned to form and Pesce arrived giving UNH perhaps its deepest defense ever (along with rock-solid Connor Hardowa). And yes, DeSmith was fantastic posting 2.23 GAA and a .924 SPCT...

DeSmith, who has been proven not-guilty, would have won yesterday's game 4-2 at worst. 'Pathetic' team play and all. And with two extra saves and the win, conversation here would center around how they finally put a good effort together...

The line is THAT fine - and that's why it's dangerous to question effort and character.

---

As for Gildon - he is still being coached to be smart, but aggressive and skillful. As he always was. As he should be. But he is an 18 y/o freshman defenseman and expecting him to average over a PPG and carry the offense was always unrealistic. The only thing that has changed in his game is less shots through to the net as teams - with the advantage of video scouting - have learned you can neuter the UNH PP by making the prevention of Gildon shots a priority...

Gildon played the way he has all year yesterday and was on the ice for 3 UNH goals and zero Brown goals.

---

The idea that Grasso's (a 20 goal scorer) return hurt the team is crazy - and I believe just a topical joke at the time. Let's not let it develop into anything more. UNHs hot start was due in LARGE part to playing a brand new UML team searching for an identity and still playing Tyler Wall, as well as Colgate's Colton Point (top NCAA goaltender and Canadian WJC back-up) getting concussed in practice during the week. It's time to recognize that....

UML Goalies
          Tyler Wall - 6 GP, 5.71, .824
          Christofer Hernberg - 18 GP, 1.89, .929

Colgate Goalies
          Colton Point - 17 GP, 1.79, .949
          Zap Hamilton - 2 GP, 4.03, .875
          Bruce Racine - 1 GP, 5.00, .843

There's nothing wrong with being fortunate and taking advantage of it. Good for them! But they were fortunate. And fortunate teams always 'look' like they're trying a lot harder...
          Last edited by Dan; 01-07-2018, 02:13 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            Tell Me Again Mommy...
            Us 0
            The World 1

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            "UNH went ahead to stay on a power-play goal by Maass"
            Bingo.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Us 0
              The World 1
              Post of the Year.

I relinquish the crown.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Us 0
                The World 1

Bingo.
                I wondered when you were going to pounce on that comment...wasn't there a song like that in the 70's? Hey whatever it takes to get them going!! 😉

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Maybe, just maybe...we can catch some teams looking past us...prob the best coaching strategy right now!!!
                  That'd be nice. Doesn't look like anybody is looking past us right now!
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    But the bigger issue is talent and depth (recruiting) not effort.

I look at tonight's line-up and I see at least four F and three D that have no place on an NCAA tournament line-up (and that may be generous). And with the exception of MAYBE 2-3 of the remaining skaters they are all playing roles over their heads if on a good team. Without even getting to the goalies it's just not a recipe for success.
                    Help on the way:

Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering?
                    Matt Dawson: I was recruited by other programs but never got into a serious talk about attending. I have always planned on attending a U.S college for hockey. It's a big part of your life and you want it to be the right fit and I think I've found that with UNH.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Anthony Wyse: I was considering a few but the two I was considering the most were Maine and UVM.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Joe Sacco: I was also considering Providence but I am very excited with my decision to choose UNH.
                    Eric MacAdams: I was considering Providence, Merrimack, and Boston University. Once UNH had offered, I knew it was the right decision.
                    Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Did other schools verbally offer an athletic scholarship? If so, which ones?
                    Corson Green: I visited other schools, but the coaching staff at UNH was my deciding factor. I want to play for a coach who wants me there and wants to develop me into a better player. After visiting UNH I knew I wanted to play hockey for Coach Souza and Coach Stewart.
                    Lucas Bahn: I didn’t really have too much interest. I had had conversations with Providence College, but nothing too serious, but in the end everything about UNH seemed perfect for me.
                    Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Did other schools verbally offer an athletic scholarship? If so, which ones?
                    Angus Crookshank: I looked very hard at the University of Denver, Providence, Ohio State and Wisconsin and had conversations with several of those schools, as did Coach Balkovec on my behalf. We were still early in those discussions when the offer came from UNH.
                    Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    Ryan Verrier: I visited UCONN, UNH, Merrimack, UMASS Amherst, St. Lawrence, Cornell, and Holy Cross and received offers from 4 of these schools.
                    Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    Marek Wazny: There were a few other college programs that I was looking at and deciding on. I visited a good amount of schools on the east coast and in the Big 10 but I knew UNH was the one for me.
                    Lowry: When you renewed the recruiting process, what other college programs did you consider? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    Gildon: There were a few other schools but once I came to see the campus at UNH, I knew it was the place for me.
                    Benton Maass: I took my time with the process and looked at a variety of colleges out east and in my home state of Minnesota before committing to New Hampshire.
                    Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    Pierson: I was fortunate to have interest from schools in Hockey East, NCHC, B1G, ECAC and Atlantic conferences, ultimately narrowing the final choices to UNH, UVM, UMass, Harvard & Princeton.
                    Mike Lowry: What other college programs did you consider during the recruiting process? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    Chase Stevenson: Throughout my commitment process, I talked to Division I schools, such as UNH, that offer athletic scholarships and to Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, and Cornell that offer financial aid based on need. After going on my official visit to the UNH campus, I knew it was the right place for me.
                    Sweeney: Harvard, St. Lawrence, Maine, UVM, Northeastern and finally UNH. Maine, UNH and Northeastern all made me offers.
                    Mike Lowry: What other college programs did you consider during the recruiting process? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    Kohei Sato: University of Alaska Anchorage, Northeastern University, University of Alabama Huntsville, and University of New Hampshire. UAA and UNH made offers, others were a recruit walk on.
                    Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?
                    McElhaney: Other schools I was considering were Providence College, Umass Lowell, UConn, and Boston University. I went to Providence over the summer and I wasn’t offered anywhere else at the time when I took UNH’s offer.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Hey whatever it takes to get them going!! 😉
                      Heard they are bringing Helen Reddy in to sing the national anthem the rest of the season
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                        Heard they are bringing Helen Reddy in to sing the national anthem the rest of the season
                        Hahaha that's who that was! I think I had the 45....😳

Comment

Yikes! And, I thought that my sarcasm was being misunderstood, You's guys are over the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I see Greg is on the board, it will be interesting to read his take on tonight's latest cluster ...
                            Didn’t go last night. Have lost a lot of interest to be frank. Instead of improving, they have regressed. I need someone who watches the team game in and game out to tell me why.
                            Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 01-07-2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Didn’t go last night. Have lost a lot of interest to be frank. Instead of improving, they have regressed. I need someone who watches the team game in and game out to tell me why.
                              You got me Greg; maybe I'm not the best one to answer this but I've seen them play just about every game live with the exception of RPI. And I've been saying this since the CC loss. After the VT tie I was openly concerned. Dan made valid points regarding who 'Gate and UML had in goal but that's not the entire story in my eyes. I still maintain they have regressed and I'm not the only one around the 'Whitt who thinks that. I'd like an answer to that question too. Hopefully they turn it around.

But I guess there's no real answer that is going to come from the team, from the coaches. If we play 60 good minutes this weekend against the Bostons (that's what I call 'em) and still lose I'm totally ok with that. On another note, quite the B's game eh?
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-08-2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Well, it's been a tough start to the 2018 portion of the UNH schedule, as while the 'Cat's successfully snapped a 4 game losing streak, it's rarely been the case where a tie has ever felt more like a loss than this past weekend's 4-4 gack-fest to the Brownies from Providence RI. Which of course means the winless streak has been extended to the last five games of a stretch of the UNH schedule where most of us felt UNH would make up most (if not all) of the remaining ground towards Coach Umile's hallowed NRN. One can only attempt to imagine the anguish our legendary outgoing coach was feeling throughout the 3rd period as the seemingly comfortable lead gradually slipped away and eventually disappeared. Now with the schedule returning to HE league play for the duration, the outlook for the remainder of the HE regular season is looking increasingly bleak, as The Long Goodbye Tour lurches forward again this weekend with a home game against BU and a trip down to Chestnut Hill for a Sunday afternoon matinee, and WIS presents its latest prognostications in this latest "How Did They Manage to Sneak Those Providence Kids into Brown Uniforms Between Periods?" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 595
                                Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 5
                                Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 16
                                Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 31.25%
                                WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 60%
                                2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 5/12 (41.7%)

The loss tie against Brown was one of those occasions when you see an accident happening in slow-motion, and you leave your body for a few moments while the unavoidable events unfold slowly before your eyes. You can see it coming all along, and you think (or hope) it's going to be a situation where the other team simply runs out of time, and leaves it until too late to take advantage of a team bereft of confidence (and leadership) that's there to be had. The only thing that surprised me in the aftermath was that somehow UNH didn't find a way to outright lose the game in OT. But for purposes of the NRN - and as I said this past weekend, it's never been more about the NRN and only the NRN than right now - a tie is as good as a loss. Which in this instance was entirely apropos, as dropping a four goal lead at home in the 3rd period to the likes of Brown left no room for happy BS silver linings to cushion the blow. There are losses, and there are losses. And in this case, a 4-4 tie may turn out to be the biggest loss of the crumbling UNH season.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS' panel of experts had projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season before turning the calendar into 2018. That prediction - which seemed to be a lead pipe cinch just five games ago - has effectively been nuked, now leaving the (unranked) 'Cats in open waters, with no safe havens or cupcakes life preservers around to bail them out. UNH is now no longer "a game late and a dollar short" of baseline preseason expectations - this is starting to look very much like a UMass Flagship freefall into the bottomless void, with the Quest for the NRN in extreme danger of failing to reach a happy ending. WIS still sees the NRN being attained, but chances for an unsuccessful fate climbed ominously closer to the 50% "coinflip" territory after this past weekend. But Coach Umile's teams have often gotten results when least expected, in kind of a "it's darkest just before the dawn" way in the past. So flush from correctly predicting the tie with Brown (in one of those "wish we were wrong, but" moments), here are the predictions for this coming weekend:

Predictions:

Friday: @ UNH 2 BU 1
                                Sunday: UNH 1 BC 5

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 1/26/18 v. UConn

WIS CONTEST - GUESS THE DATE COACH HITS THE NRN!!!

So here is the final qualifying list of the NRN predictions. Winner buys the first round at Libby's on date/time TBD. HR or another suitably qualified candidate will be inviting the GOH to the event (while WIS runs for cover ):

1/06/18 vs. Brown @ home: Snively65, HockeyRef
                                1/12/18 vs. BU @ home: phb, e.cat
                                1/19/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: Dan, deltabravo, Nifty16
                                1/20/18 vs. UMaine @ Alfond: After the Whistle, Scott, scoreboard, Darius
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------
                                1/26/18 vs. UConn @ home: Aerman
                                2/03/18 vs. UMass @ home: WIS

Four more of our contestants are off the hook for the *victory* in our NRN contest, with 4 more now totally dependent upon a now seemingly impossible run of 5 straight W's to remain alive in the contest. The earliest date now for the magical event to be taking place is in late January at home against UConn (Aerman's prediction). I was starting to like my own chances, but UNH is going to have to win 5 of the next 8 games, and I'm not even liking my own prediction anymore. It's like when in the old "Price is Right" gameshow, everyone bids over the price of the item, so everyone loses, and they bring in new contestants. Maybe we'll have to restart the contest from scratch OR maybe I get deemed to be the "closest loser" and spring for the drinks at Libby's anyway (albeit without the GOH, who presumably won't be in the mood to *celebrate" by then). I'm open to suggestions, but frankly I think we are all lost for words at this point, unless the boys change directions and start to enjoy some on-ice results quickly.

We've also added a new "watch" to the collection here, which was brought to the fore by Dan regarding the prospects of Patrick Grasso's potentially lost season, and the chances he'll be allowed a "medical redshirt". We'll revisit the specifics as we get closer to the end of the regular season, but in short, it appears a minimum of six (6) post-season games will be necessary for Grasso's 2017/2018 season not to become a total loss. So the Grasso Red Shirt Number (GRSN) sits at a 40 game UNH slate. The WIS panel sets Grasso's chances of following in the career path of the great Tommy Nolan to be Slight. We'll revisit this assessment periodically as things progress.

FOXHOLE CHALLENGE - US AGAINST THE WORLD (in honor of Felger)

Us 0
                                The World 1

GO UNH - GOT TO GET THE GOODBYE TOUR TO THE GAHDEN!!!
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X