Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worcester State

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    "... in Oct. 2016 the NE-10, with the full cooperation and support of its men’s member institutions, “successfully navigated the NCAA governance process to secure a change to NCAA D-II pre-enrollment legislation for ice hockey that addressed one major recruiting disparity for the programs relative to Division III and Division I. This legislative change enables NE-10 members to recruit all prospective student-athletes from the junior hockey ranks in full alignment with their NCAA D-I and D-III peers.”

You can read the full article here: [ Story ]
    Interesting, that should help.

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    You can rip the NE-10 all you want, and again, I'm not saying they're a good conference, but I could cherry-pick blowout scores from every other conference too. If you really believe they would only be "mid-pack" even at the ACHA DIII level, I would suggest you watch more club hockey...
    What is their record vs the Major DIII teams/conferences....??

Since 2013-2014 the NE10 is 4-45-4.....(.113)....I'm not ripping, I'm just not living in a delusional world where you think just because you beat up on MASCAC and CCC teams means something.....Yes at the DIII Club level they would excel for the most part...at least a winning record...and among the top teams....but in the DI ACHA they would be mid-pack at best. With MAYBE St.Mikes/St.A's slightly ahead of mid-pack...

The recruiting limitations will help big time of course and you SHOULD will see the .113 average improve, but it doesn't change what the NE10 was before. I'm sorry you want to call it "ripping" but it is what it is....

Oh and by the way....they are 0-1-1 vs Rhode Island during that same time...a Mid Pack Club team...
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
      NE 10 is a better conference than you are giving them credit for.
      Granted I've never seen a NE-10 team in person, but here is a semi-unbiased/objective stat shamelessly stolen from another thread in which the NE-10 fared last D3. Draw your own conclusions.

KRACH final rankings from 2016-17, based on the average ranking of teams in each conference...
      1. NESCAC (28.9)
      2. SUNYAC (31.7)
      3t. NEHC (35.4)
      3t. WIAC (35.4)
      5. ECAC-W (37.8)
      6. NCHA (43.1)
      7. MIAC (44.1)
      8. CCC (46.6)
      9. MASCAC (59.7)
      10. INDEPENDENTS (74.3)
      11. NE-10 (76.3)

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
        Umm ?? Which would be what?
        St. A and St. M had restrictions based on the having to follow ECAC E/NEHC rules for recruiting, financial aid, scheduling, and the rest of the league followed. Now that St. A. and St. M. are no longer in the NEHC, those restrictions are gone. They now are free to follow DII rules in these regards.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          St. A and St. M had restrictions based on the having to follow ECAC E/NEHC rules for recruiting, financial aid, scheduling, and the rest of the league followed. Now that St. A. and St. M. are no longer in the NEHC, those restrictions are gone. They now are free to follow DII rules in these regards.
          5 Schollys men
          18 Schollys women
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            5 Schollys men
            18 Schollys women
            Can you explain these to me. These are academic scholarships correct? How much can each scholarship be worth and what are the requirements to earn one? Can scholarships be split between players i.e. does it mean only 5 players or 18 players on a team during a season can have scholarship money or that the equivalent amount of 5/18 scholarships are split between the players?

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
              Can you explain these to me. These are academic scholarships correct? How much can each scholarship be worth and what are the requirements to earn one? Can scholarships be split between players i.e. does it mean only 5 players or 18 players on a team during a season can have scholarship money or that the equivalent amount of 5/18 scholarships are split between the players?
              Nope. D2 allows athletic scholarships. Since the umbilical cord has been cut between D2 and D3 hockey, the D2 hockey schools can now offer athletic scholarships if they want to and if they can afford it and remain D2.

I'm not sure if D2 allows splitting like D1.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Nope. D2 allows athletic scholarships. Since the umbilical cord has been cut between D2 and D3 hockey, the D2 hockey schools can now offer athletic scholarships if they want to and if they can afford it and remain D2.

I'm not sure if D2 allows splitting like D1.
                That's interesting. Over time that could lead to a real advantage for the D2 schools if they can funnel funds towards the hockey programs. I'm surprised the D3 schools agreed to that. I would have thought they'd want a level playing field.

Comment

They are athletic scholarships as permitted by the NCAA for Division II athletics. I believe partial scholarships are allowed at the DII level for hockey, just like they are in DI. (Not all sports are allowed to award partial scholarships). I think the minimum is 1/4, so a DII men's team could have 5 players each on 1/4 scholarships. Joe would be the expert here, because I could be all wet.

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                    That's interesting. Over time that could lead to a real advantage for the D2 schools if they can funnel funds towards the hockey programs. I'm surprised the D3 schools agreed to that. I would have thought they'd want a level playing field.
                    When the D2 schools were part of D3 leagues, the schools had to play by D3 rules. When St. As. and St. Mike's were in the NEHC, since they had to play by D3 rules as part of the conditions of membership, the other NE-10 schools had to follow D3 rules in fairness to to those two schools. Now that there are no D2 schools playing in D3 leagues any more, those restrictions are gone. There is nothing for D3 schools to agree to.
                    Last edited by NUProf; 01-15-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X