Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best atmospheres in DIII hockey?

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    How's Hamilton? I know the rink is the oldest (?) in college hockey, but there's a line between old-world charm and just plain old. All of the tradeoffs aren't always worth it. For example, Fenway is a must-see for people from put of town when they visit Boston, but after you've seen it the cramped concourses and isles, and the obstructed views, can leave me yearning for a modern park without those "charms".
    Yeah, while Hamilton doesn't charge admission, it's a fairly lousy venue in which to watch a game.

There are obstructions a-plenty, and many of the local soccer-moms seem to regard the Sage as free community day-care. There are scads of unsupervised kids and their heedless mothers at most afternoon games. And none of them give a flying ___ about the game.

If you go, be prepared to stand on the rails, and to move around frequently. (Even then, it can be a challenge to see the ice.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-07-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

There are obstructions a-plenty, and many of the local soccer-moms seem to regard the Sage as free community day-care. There are scads of unsupervised kids and their heedless mothers at most afternoon games. And none of them give a flying ___ about the game.
      Would you say they are the type of fans who, if Hamilton was hosting the NCAA D3 Final four but didn’t qualify for the tournament themselves, may not even attend the championship weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Nothing beats Romney and Clarkson's old Walker Arena. NOTHING.
        Of all the ice rinks we have seen, never made it to Ckarkson, we saw St Lawrwnce play Clarkson at Apleton.
        I saw the first game in Romney in 1964, it was the first ice hockey game in Oswego and we never missed a game after that or since

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
          Of all the ice rinks we have seen, never made it to Ckarkson, we saw St Lawrwnce play Clarkson at Apleton.
          I saw the first game in Romney in 1964, it was the first ice hockey game in Oswego and we never missed a game after that or since
          Interestingly, I've never been to Appleton.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Interestingly, I've never been to Appleton.
            Get there before they do the renovations.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
              Would you say they are the type of fans who, if Hamilton was hosting the NCAA D3 Final four but didn’t qualify for the tournament themselves, may not even attend the championship weekend?
              Absolutely! Why would they care much, especially if their team wasn't in the mix, since they don't even show any interest in their own team in the first place?

(Do you attend the D-1 Final Four, for example..? Puh-leeze.)
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-08-2017, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Nothing beats Romney and Clarkson's old Walker Arena. NOTHING.
                I played in both.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

You will see some atmosphere tonight.....

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                    At the morgue?
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

A win vs Oz tonight will help to right the ship..I would imagine a good crowd tonight after the Cortland warm-up

Comment

Hell yeah!!! Will be watching from the land of Bob Marley #YaMonLakers
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

What is it like in Plymouth? Rink is small but seems to be filled almost to capacity every game.

Comment

Love the responses from everyone!! There is about 10-15 schools noteworthy that could compete but it's hard to include a few that I haven't been to. I know this is a NCAA thread but I also did an ACHA one from the same perspective! Give it a read and would love to hear more opinions. https://worldhockeyreport.wordpress....s-in-the-acha/

Comment

Originally posted by worldhockeyreport View Post
                              Love the responses from everyone!! There is about 10-15 schools noteworthy that could compete but it's hard to include a few that I haven't been to. I know this is a NCAA thread but I also did an ACHA one from the same perspective! Give it a read and would love to hear more opinions. https://worldhockeyreport.wordpress....s-in-the-acha/
                              That's great that you've covered ACHA as well. I took a look at it and the only suggestion I have is to add more detail if you can. If you could include their regular attendance figures that would be good (is it hard to find those stats for ACHA?) and a bit more about the rinks (old/new, in town or on-campus etc.) and maybe something about the fan support - is it loud? Like the thread here, a smaller, packed rink might have more atmosphere than a bigger crowd which only fills 30% of a large facility. Good coverage and interesting perspective on the college leagues though. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                                That's great that you've covered ACHA as well. I took a look at it and the only suggestion I have is to add more detail if you can. If you could include their regular attendance figures that would be good (is it hard to find those stats for ACHA?) and a bit more about the rinks (old/new, in town or on-campus etc.) and maybe something about the fan support - is it loud? Like the thread here, a smaller, packed rink might have more atmosphere than a bigger crowd which only fills 30% of a large facility. Good coverage and interesting perspective on the college leagues though. Well done!
                                Thanks! Very hard to find numbers for the schools. There are some other good rinks and atmospheres out there for sure, but I tried to factor in everything from quality of rink, to fan base and student section turnout. Would love to hear what other people think are the best!

Comment

Working...
                                X