X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Reset The Calendar Again

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Can I opt out of financing all of these people in jail?
    Gun violence costs this country tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars a year. I think you'd come out ahead, especially if we started decriminalizing low level drug crimes. The NRA is tax exempt, can I opt out of paying their share of federal taxes?

Comment

I wonder what the venn diagram would look like of that class of people who think possessing weed should be illegal and those who think possessing assault weapons should not be.

Comment

I find it fascinating that a high school student had the balls to do what members of the media have neglected to do - ask Marco Rubio directly, to his face, whether he would stop taking donations from the NRA. Of course Rubio danced around an answer, but the question hangs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I would include voting and freedom of speech in there as well. We could raise revenue and really stick it to those who are less fortunate.
          Every single other Amendment have some kind of restrictions on them. All of them.

Why can't we have reasonable restrictions on #2?

Why is it so unconstitutional to have a magazine size limit, or a firing rate limit? You are still able to own and sport fire the gun. Both of those would REDUCE the number of dead in shootings.

The funny thing about the NRA is the view- "if we can't reduce the deaths to zero, there's no reason to do anything" kind of thinking. What crap.

Face it, the you and the NRA have been duped by the gun industry. All they do is find ways to sell more guns, and using the 2nd is their method. Mostly by fear of losing it. Sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            You didn't address part 2.

We've had weapons for years. The Texas Tower shooter did not have automated weapons. He made due with long guns.

It's not the weapons, or the number of weapons, it's the condition that more people are deciding that it is all right to commit mass murder. That is wrong and frightening.

What is causing them to snap?
            1. A far right fascistic media that has been spreading fear and hatred for thirty years.

2. Our slide into corporate feudalism in which profits outrank life and lobbies like the NRA own Congress.

3. The grave imbalance in passion among left and right voters. The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

4. The damage of thirty years of Republican political malfeasance: perpetual war, an explosion of inequality, mass hopelessness, and resentment born of insecurity.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              This is the solution I want. Brenthoven says I never posted one but I've posted it numerous times. Gun license, License to own a gun, insurance on every gun, every gun with a VIN number, etc. etc. Any crime committed with a gun not meeting that standard is a felony.
              I'm pretty sure all guns are manufactured with a serial number on them, and I'd also hazard a guess that any crime committed with a gun right now, whether a person has a gun license or insurance or whatever, is probably already a felony in most places.

But I don't have a problem with gun licenses/permits, or an insurance requirement.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                1. A far right fascistic media that has been spreading fear and hatred for thirty years.

2. Our slide into corporate feudalism in which profits outrank life and lobbies like the NRA own Congress.

3. The grave imbalance in passion among left and right voters. The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

4. The damage of thirty years of Republican political malfeasance: perpetual war, an explosion of inequality, mass hopelessness, and resentment born of insecurity.
                You think these are the reasons that kid shot up the Florida school?
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Those are the reasons this is happening once a week now.

Any given homerun is because a batter guessed right or a pitcher hung a slider.

Juiced balls are why there are 6000 of them a year now.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    It is the reason he had access to the weapon.

Eliminate the main weapon = lives saved. Why is that so hard to accept?

Comment

Those are the reasons this is happening once a week now.

Any given homerun is because a batter guessed right or a pitcher hung a slider.

Juiced balls are why there are 6000 of them a year now.
                      Beautiful analogy.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

What is causing them to snap?
                        Probably the same things that cause people to snap in every other developed country.

Comment

I think those are the reasons this is happening once a week now.
                          All of the things you identified exist, but I don't think they're the reason this kid shot up that school, or the reason school shootings are happening with more frequency.

Junior high and high schools are some of the most cruel places on earth. As humans are already going through dramatic changes in their bodies, emotions, etc..., they are thrown into this cauldron of peer pressure, taunts, bullying, shunning and behavior that is practically criminal in nature. Social media has put that behavior on steroids compared to what it was like when you and I were in high school.

Add that to easy access to guns and I'm shocked there aren't more school shootings.

You ever wonder why the vast majority of these shootings, like Columbine and Florida, involve kids shooting up their own school instead of just picking one at random, or why we frequently find that kids like Cruz spent the months before reading about and studying the endless news stories of prior shootings?

These are kids who, whether they were pushed over the edge or not, at least feel like they were and they are retaliating in the most spectacular way they can conceive.

Comment

Yeats wrote a lot of beautiful stuff, but he could not have contemplated that that poem, short as it is, would be so widely quoted.

Your use of it was apt, btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              What ever happened to fist fights?

First off, that's still aassault and a crime, and not just "boys will be boys". I don't care if they could've gotten away with it 50 years ago with a slap on the wrist.

You can't unopen Pandora's box. If you notice, most school shooters haven't exactly been beefed up members of the football team. They aren't going to win a fistfight, and you expect them to choose that option?

Let me guess, you think soldiers should still line up in open fields across from one another while the gentry have picnics up on the hills and watch. Because that was more civilized warfare.

Comment

Extreme as arming teachers - that's something new, too. Both are not viable solutions.

We need to figure out why life has become an expense rather than an asset. When life is (re)considered to be something of great value I believe most of the mass killing will stop.
                                When was life considered of great value? I guarantee people were still killed quite often back then too.

I know this is your way to try and sneak in religion but you gotta be more stealth than that.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X