X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Reset The Calendar Again

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Great. That is 30 mins from my parents' house and where I grew up. *sigh* And they wonder why no one ever wants to come home to visit.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      No cop is going into a hot situation solo
      FWIW, Drew may be right on this one. The active shooter training I was forced to attend was put on by a state patrol officer. He said the training is changing where in school shootings cops are now being told to go in and not wait for SWAT or whatever because too many people will get killed while they're waiting.

Of course, he also said (and was sure to caveat that this was just his opinion and not the state patrol's) when asked that he essentially believed in the good guy with a gun theory, immediately after describing how accuracy decreases with adrenaline and stress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        You wanna be a possible hero go ahead. Stupid move.
        I've been told repeatedly that all cops are heroes that deserve our undying respect and adoration. Is that no longer the case? Surely I wasn't lied to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          You wanna be a possible hero go ahead. Stupid move.
          If you won’t put your life on the line to save a school full of kids you don’t deserve to wear a badge

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Correct.

And Scooby, thank you for your solutions. Can I ask you to list your solutions from most important to least? The reason I ask is that if you wrote all that you want into one bill, as in an all or nothing, I fear nothing changes. What would you HAVE to have, and what you would be willing to delay for a little while, and concede? If you'd like, list all reasons why you are for the "musts" and why you could leave out the "not musts."
            No concessions. I want guns treated like cars. And I want a law where if your gun is used in the commission of a crime it's a felony. So, you better report it missing or stolen if it's missing or you're in hot water. We can use the space in the jails that free up from all the non-violent drug offenders were going to release.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              If you won’t put your life on the line to save a school full of kids you don’t deserve to wear a badge
              Until you're in that situation, you never know what you'll do. The manliest man may poop his pants while the feathermerchant throws himself into the fray.

I hope, I HOPE I'd rush to save the kids. But that's Theory.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I hope, I HOPE I'd rush to save the kids. But that's Theory.
                The same person won't even react the same way in multiple situations. The whole idea of "bravery" isn't really a thing -- there are certainly impulsive people but those are also the people who will dive off the roof at the high school party. They aren't brave -- they have a profound stupidity which under rare circumstances might be useful.

Likewise, there are "calculating" people -- basically, people with a little bit of grey matter -- but even they react emotionally and might throw themselves in front of a stranger's baby. It all comes down to what you ate for breakfast, whether the wind is blowing from the right direction, etc.

This is of course heresy to the "this is my rifle this my gun" types, but, well... f-ck em. Study harder.

Charles Bronson is right in The Magnificent Seven. The farmers are the true "brave" and "strong" people because they burn themselves out over years for someone else. The guy who runs into a burning building is more likely than not just an idiot who will also run out on his child support payments. Now, I do want that idiot around specifically if my daughter is in the burning building, but I want him far, far away from her in the other 99.999% of cases because the moron will just wind up getting her hurt.

And I surely do not want him ever, ever holding a gun.
                Last edited by Kepler; 02-23-2018, 08:02 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  No concessions. I want guns treated like cars. And I want a law where if your gun is used in the commission of a crime it's a felony. So, you better report it missing or stolen if it's missing or you're in hot water. We can use the space in the jails that free up from all the non-violent drug offenders were going to release.
                  Then nothing will change. You and I both know there would be major push-back on an all-or-nothing bill, which means it wouldn't pass. We're trying to move a giant boulder here. IMO, the best approach is to chip away at that boulder, make it smaller, then move a smaller stone, you know?

I'm on board 100% with the felony thing, btw.

The issue with reform is A) Find solutions B) Make it so it could actually become a bill
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Then nothing will change. You and I both know there would be major push-back on an all-or-nothing bill, which means it wouldn't pass. We're trying to move a giant boulder here. IMO, the best approach is to chip away at that boulder, make it smaller, then move a smaller stone, you know?

I'm on board 100% with the felony thing, btw.

The issue with reform is A) Find solutions B) Make it so it could actually become a bill
                    Mine isn't all or nothing. I'm not banning the AR15 or AK47. Which, I also think should be done. Personally, I'd prefer melting all of them down and watching all the gun nuts cry on TV.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The same person won't even react the same way in multiple situations. The whole idea of "bravery" isn't really a thing -- there are certainly impulsive people but those are also the people who will dive off the roof at the high school party. They aren't brave -- they have a profound stupidity which under rare circumstances might be useful.

Likewise, there are "calculating" people -- basically, people with a little bit of grey matter -- but even they react emotionally and might throw themselves in front of a stranger's baby. It all comes down to what you ate for breakfast, whether the wind is blowing from the right direction, etc.

This is of course heresy to the "this is my rifle this my gun" types, but, well... f-ck em. Study harder.

Charles Bronson is right in The Magnificent Seven. The farmers are the true "brave" and "strong" people because they burn themselves out over years for someone else. The guy who runs into a burning building is more likely than not just an idiot who will also run out on his child support payments. Now, I do want that idiot around specifically if my daughter is in the burning building, but I want him far, far away from her in the other 99.999% of cases because the moron will just wind up getting her hurt.

And I surely do not want him ever, ever holding a gun.
                      I had to discover a silver star in a drawer to know my father received that honor for bravery in Borneo or some such place. He just never talked about the war. The medal comes with a recitation of the acts, but I asked him about it. He just shrugged and said he did what had to be done. No hollywood bravery there, just a sense of duty, the same he applied every day to his work as a teacher and any other obligation he felt he had to others. he just wanted to be a person you could depend on, and I don't think that outlook was at all unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        I had to discover a silver star in a drawer to know my father received that honor for bravery in Borneo or some such place. He just never talked about the war. The medal comes with a recitation of the acts, but I asked him about it. He just shrugged and said he did what had to be done. No hollywood bravery there, just a sense of duty, the same he applied every day to his work as a teacher and any other obligation he felt he had to others. he just wanted to be a person you could depend on, and I don't think that outlook was at all unusual.
                        Yep, there are instances like this. But the important thing to remember, and the thing guys who do things like that always say, is that on another day it could have gone another way.

I shouldn't say bravery "doesn't exist," that's not exactly right. It's that linked concepts like "valor" are instance-tied, not all-encompassing. It's not like being honest, where if you're honest you really can trust yourself that in the next tight spot you'll be honest again. I can't help but think it's because honesty is a mental function while the instantaneous reaction to danger is an emotional function. Emotions are, by definition, fleeting. On a different day, a different person might be the hero, or none at all.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Yep, there are instances like this. But the important thing to remember, and the thing guys who do things like that always say, is that on another day it could have gone another way.

I shouldn't say bravery "doesn't exist," that's not exactly right. It's that linked concepts like "valor" are instance-tied, not all-encompassing. It's not like being honest, where if you're honest you really can trust yourself that in the next tight spot you'll be honest again. I can't help but think it's because honesty is a mental function while the instantaneous reaction to danger is an emotional function. Emotions are, by definition, fleeting. On a different day, a different person might be the hero, or none at all.
                          I think that is true. And it makes things that much more complicated after the fact. Soldiers or anyone else whose job performance is a matter of duty may act out of duty or adrenaline or just react in ways that they would never act under cool reflection. That could be foolish and costly "heroism" or the commitment of an atrocity.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            My grandfather had all sorts of awards from World War II. I believe there was a silver star, and a purple heart for sure. He never ever ever talked about it. Ever. He's long since past and I still know nothing about it.

Comment

http://www.vancourier.com/news/enoug...ims-1.23183066

Florida Panthers goalie Robert Luongo lives in Parkland and spoke on the ice before their home game last night. Worth a watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                My grandfather had all sorts of awards from World War II. I believe there was a silver star, and a purple heart for sure. He never ever ever talked about it. Ever. He's long since past and I still know nothing about it.
                                You can probably track down the Silver Star citation here:
                                http://www.homeofheroes.com/members/...y/0_index.html
                                Last edited by joecct; 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X