X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Reset The Calendar Again

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    By the time autoloaders and handguns are banned, it means the 2nd Amendment has been repealed. It also means hell has frozen over and I'm married to some gorgeous astrophysicist and we live on our own island. So this hypothetical doesn't really have any meaning.

But if it came to that, probably. But it won't, so *shrug*
    I agree that it's best to stick to the political realities right now. Right now baby steps is the best that we can do, like banning bump stocks and raising the minimum age to buy weapons like the AR-15 to 21 years old. If the D's somehow win back the House and Senate then they can write their own comprehensive gun control bill, pass it, and send it to Trump. And when he vetoes it then he can be the one to deal with the political fallout. But even that is almost a pie in the sky scenario right now.

Comment

By the time autoloaders and handguns are banned, it means the 2nd Amendment has been repealed. It also means hell has frozen over and I'm married to some gorgeous astrophysicist and we live on our own island. So this hypothetical doesn't really have any meaning.

But if it came to that, probably. But it won't, so *shrug*
      I'm ok with some semi-autos. Any militaristic looking semi-auto that has no kick? No. Gone. Otherwise, just forget it and go back to thoughts and prayers.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dave122793 View Post
        I agree that it's best to stick to the political realities right now. Right now baby steps is the best that we can do, like banning bump stocks and raising the minimum age to buy weapons like the AR-15 to 21 years old. If the D's somehow win back the House and Senate then they can write their own comprehensive gun control bill, pass it, and send it to Trump. And when he vetoes it then he can be the one to deal with the political fallout. But even that is almost a pie in the sky scenario right now.
        The problem is you have a bunch of centrist dems with rural constituencies that somehow see it as too risky to enact this kind of legislature, even Bernie has been spotty on this issue.

The problem is that there's overwhelming evidence that people support at least some common sense measures such as universal background checks, mandatory waiting periods, a nationwide ban on assault rifles, they don't think more guns make us safer, and at the very least would support these kinds of baby steps.
        https://poll.qu.edu/national/release...ReleaseID=2521
        https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/u...18_ugbw51.pdf/

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I'm ok with some semi-autos. Any militaristic looking semi-auto that has no kick? No. Gone. Otherwise, just forget it and go back to thoughts and prayers.
        An AR-15 definitely has some kick, I've shot my dad's before (that or I'm just a total wuss ). The bigger issue is that it's easily modified to potentially have a 100 round drum, a front grip to make it easier to spray bullets, a laser site, the bump stock obviously, and a number of other features that just aren't necessary for hunting or shooting targets. You can probably do some of these things with some semi-automatic rifles but not as easily or quickly and certainly not all of these modifications. With an AR-15 you can probably have it pre-assembled with a lot of these features.
        Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-21-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

What a bunch of ****ing liars. This is some of the stuff Trump did since taking office.

Trump held that point of view until he began gearing up for his run for the presidency. As social conservatives flocked to his rallies, he turned increasingly hard-line in opposing any limitations on gun ownership.

In the White House, he has acted in keeping with that posture. His appointees have quietly chipped away at the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, the federal system that stores consult to make sure buyers are eligible to purchase guns.

The administration officials narrowed a few legal definitions to make it harder to classify would-be gun buyers as ineligible. The FBI used to consider people "fugitives from justice" if there were outstanding warrants for their arrest, but now they must also have fled across state lines to intentionally avoid prosecution to be disqualified. Trump officials also purged tens of thousands of law enforcement records from the background system.

They narrowed the definition of mentally ill. And Congress and Trump rolled back an Obama-era regulation that required the Social Security Administration to send records of people receiving benefits for mental illness for inclusion in the background check system. In his recently released budget for the coming fiscal year, Trump proposed slashing millions of dollars from the budget for the background check system.
          http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...220-story.html

EDIT: If he slashes the budget for background checks and that's all they do is pass background check improvements they've done nothing. The NRA wins again.
          Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 02-21-2018, 08:38 PM.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

What do the second and third words of the Second Amendment mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
              What do the second and third words of the Second Amendment mean?
              Here is the whole one sentence amrndment:
              "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Which is the most important - before the 1st comma, between the 1st and 2nd commas, or after the 2nd comma?

You could look at all before comma 2 as the explanation of why the right to keep and bear arms exists. Does the Amendment stand alone with the same meaning with "The right...shall not be infringed"?

That debate has been going on for a while and will go on for well after I'm dead.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Original intent rules

Ball and musket for all. (Anything else, not so much)

True conservative (real meaning)
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Quick note on the banning of the assault rifles: what to do with the current legal ones? If a buyback, how do you fund that?

Idea today: since armed teachers = bad idea, how about a program funded under the Homeland Security budget, that has ex-Armed Forces folks only, as liaison officers? Extra training to deal with civilian world, placed in schools? They would already have advanced weapon and active shooter training, the extra training would be to deal with civilians, rather than soldiers?

It would give veterans a job opportunity, it would be funded, and it would provide at least some sense of protection/defense of the schools?

No I didn't read back 5 pages of commentary.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I knew that was going to come up and it’s as bad of an idea as arming the teachers.

These are people who were trained for warfare. Not law enforcement. Many have serious mental health issues when they attempt to reintegrate. There are also the muscleheads who just want to get back to shooting something and will take any chance they can get.

There are plenty of fine men and women who have served. The problem is they’ve been turned into war machines. No thanks. There are plenty of other opportunities for them.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Our culture militarizes far too much as it is.

Comment

I knew that was going to come up and it’s as bad of an idea as arming the teachers.

These are people who were trained for warfare. Not law enforcement. Many have serious mental health issues when they attempt to reintegrate. There are also the muscleheads who just want to get back to shooting something and will take any chance they can get.

There are plenty of fine men and women who have served. The problem is they’ve been turned into war machines. No thanks. There are plenty of other opportunities for them.
                        I knew that response was coming, hence my comment of additional training for civilian situations.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Our culture militarizes far too much as it is.
                          I’ll point back to the tweet Handy (?) posted a few pages back and just sub in soldiers. “When you have to use armed soldiers trained to shoot at students who are shooting at other students, don’t you think it’s time to admit you have a problem?”
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Rubio won't stop taking NRA's money.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I knew that response was coming, hence my comment of additional training for civilian situations.
                              Sorry, but no. That kind of hardcore programming isn’t erased by a week with a training instructor.
                              Code:

Comment

Sorry, but no. That kind of hardcore programming isn’t erased by a week with a training instructor.
                                Who said it'd be week?

Comment

Working...
                                X