Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    And there's your problem. Why do you privilege the "established population"? By your reasoning blacks were responsible for their lynchings in the post-war South. After all, the white supremacist population had long been established.

Let's bring this back to America. The whole point of America is there is no established population. America is who is here. We aren't theory, we're the facts on the ground -- the ultimate experiment in pragmatism. We aren't like France where unless you are "French" you can live there for seven generations and you're still not French. There is no American ethnicity. We are the mixed breeds of the world. A person who comes to America is just as American as a ninth generation Daughter of the American Revolution.

Conservative xenophobia traces back to the original sin of the right: they never understood America. They think it's a white, Christian nation and the rest of us are here by their sufferance and we should be grateful for what scraps we get. They are exactly wrong. America is a nation of immigrants. There is no ethnic hierarchy here except the delusional one that particular racists imagine.

America is sanctuary from all the nationalist and ethnic idiocy of the rest of the world. It is fundamentally post-ethnic. The slack-jawed rubes who think they're special because they share the race and religion of the Founders are in for one helluva shock the next century or so.
    No, you're reading the second thing first. I don't privilege a group, that was you. Insofar as I "privilege" one of the two, I give the benefit of the doubt to the immigrant group. But not because I think their ways are always better for the place (the Puritans were a questionable, at best, upgrade to New England populations). It's because they are generally smaller, poorer, and more in need of help and protection in case of conflict. I value each person equally, however. I don't think it's safe to say that if there's a conflict between populations, one whole group must be "evil" and one of them "good" as you originally suggested, just because of skin color.
    I agree with everything else you're saying. I myself am only a third-generation immigrant. I'm all in favor of opening up immigration and cranking up the diversity, as long as we are able to respect one another.
    I don't know how you got to the point where I think "blacks are responsible for their own lynchings." Not following at all. For the record, I'm opposed to lynching people.
    Last edited by geezer; 12-20-2017, 02:37 PM.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      He said without a hint of irony.
      Explain yourself. You think racism justifies violence? Or...
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Explain yourself. You think racism justifies violence? Or...
        Let's go to the tape:

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        I spent two weeks there last summer, this is what I heard too. I didn't spend any time south of Stockholm, but I was also warned in no uncertain terms that it would be a terrible idea due to a violent crime wave based on new refugees trying to find a niche. Moving thousands of people tends to create some unrest.
        That's you "giving the benefit of the doubt to the immigrant group"?

In fairness, I also misread Kepler as being simply a snarky sarcastic response using your own post against you, when he's apparently being serious.
        Last edited by unofan; 12-20-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Let's go to the tape:

That's you "giving the benefit of the doubt to the immigrant group"?
          I understand your misunderstanding. My point was that the immigrant group was trying to find a niche in a new and unfamiliar place (of which I approve and support). Conflict with the population that was already there has led to an increase in violent crime. I did not say the immigrants (or for that matter "white people") were the only ones responsible for crimes. I meant that the tension between different cultures led to conflict. This is nothing new.
          The solution is not to try to stop immigration or refugee resettlement. These people are coming from a background a lot darker than occasionally being beaten in an alley by a resentful native (of any color) and would continue to resettle regardless. The solution is love and understanding and assimilation and goodwill and whatnot like that.

I think you guys are just making the mistake of thinking that since I'm conservative, I must be looking for a way to hate on minorities or something. Not at all. I love all the people.
          The fact that last summer I opted out of spending my time in cities that were reputed to be places of violence and crime doesn't mean I'm prejudiced against their immigrant populations. You're reading way too much into that. I just had more wide open spaces and familial historical sites to explore, which I prefer.
          And yes, I'm a white Swede, which is why I'm defensive of our reputation.
          Last edited by geezer; 12-20-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Just got the word. Franken done on the 2nd. Tina Smith sworn in on the 3rd.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              I’m sure your sources are right. Since there’s never been a case in history where DIFFERENCES in religion, traditions, language, gender roles, skin color, etc. have in themselves caused the least bit of conflict between an immigrant group and established population, the problem there is clearly that “white Swedes” are a uniquely evil and violent people.
              I'll put this in a less incendiary way. When Packer Backer Bob gets in a fistfight with Viking fan Marvin, it's not because one of them is a terrible person...
              Wait, bad example. Packer fans are terrible people.

If Marvin was fighting it out with a Lions fan, the conflict would be simply due to Marvin not knowing about Michigan, and the Lions fan not understanding Minneapolis. Not that one of them is necessarily "better."

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arassment.html

I encourage everyone to read this. Especially Timothy A.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ts-suicide/#/0

Idaho state rep kills himself after resigning due to sexual assault allegations.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ts-suicide/#/0

Idaho state rep kills himself after resigning due to sexual assault allegations.
                    I'm really afraid his actions speak to his guilt. That'd be bad.

But if he was telling the truth...that's even worse.

It's becoming a situation where allegations = truth, and that's dam scary.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah, you kill yourself because you’re innocent? Sorry. Does not compute.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Yeah, you kill yourself because you’re innocent? Sorry. Does not compute.
                        And conditions are getting worse for victims to speak out.
                        Roy Moore accusers house burning down is just the latest example.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          And conditions are getting worse for victims to speak out.
                          Roy Moore accusers house burning down is just the latest example.
                          So far, the house thing is not tied to the assault case. (yeah, I have my doubts, too)

And I mentioned that the pol's behavior points to his guilt. Just pondering the chance if he was actually innocent? Nothing was proven. Remember, in this country, innocent until proven not guilty.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I think it’s getting worse in some locations where people can only spare one of their two brain cells to think while the other is busy breathing. The Deep South for example. Idaho isn’t exactly a liberal bastion known for its vast network of think tanks and startups either.

I think in blue states and some purple states it’s getting easier. But the rest of the country is probably going to see some blowback as white males continue to have their absolute power eroded.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              So far, the house thing is not tied to the assault case. (yeah, I have my doubts, too)

And I mentioned that the pol's behavior points to his guilt. Just pondering the chance if he was actually innocent? Nothing was proven. Remember, in this country, innocent until proven not guilty.
                              If someone accuses me of touching someone’s kid, the first thing I do is contemplate my defense. Not off myself. I’m going to fight that thing with everything I have if I’m innocent. The average person, even if they were guilty would fight it.

Your take is bad and you should feel bad.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                If someone accuses me of touching someone’s kid, the first thing I do is contemplate my defense. Not off myself. I’m going to fight that thing with everything I have if I’m innocent. The average person, even if they were guilty would fight it.

Your take is bad and you should feel bad.
                                And given the court of public opinion nowadays.....Franken was basically booted out of office, nothing really proven. I think that was wrong. But there was no way he was going to recover what rep he had, due to public opinion. He took it well, didn't resort to drastic measures. This other guy did. People turn weird when up against the wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X