Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Some places be it states or cities have passed laws banning the discussion of prior salary history for this reason. Basically the idea is a position has a price tag associated with it (say 100K for example). If Joe previously worked for 90K, and Sally was pulling in 70K because she took several years off to raise family, the company hypothetically wouldn't be able to take advantage of her and hire her for 80K, thus saving money but keeping her underpaid.
    I've never in 30 years of working had a discussion about prior salary -- it's irrelevant. I'm asked "how much do you want?" and I always counter "how much are you offering?" Negotiation 101.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Read what I wrote again. It didn't click yet.
      Ah ha
      So you are paying mom (or dad) to stay home......
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I've never in 30 years of working had a discussion about prior salary -- it's irrelevant. I'm asked "how much do you want?" and I always counter "how much are you offering?" Negotiation 101.
        Headhunters ask. F them.

Mookie tells them if it wasn’t for him standing there they’d be f’ed. Mookie gets them paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          That's great, but employers are asking for a lot more nefarious reasons nowadays. If companies are operating at peak lean efficiency, a fancy way of saying they've cut to the bone on staffing to hand bigger bonuses to execs and dividends/stock buybacks to shareholders, they have to find savings somewhere. Part of that is to hire people cheaper than the people who left. I suspect these laws are meant to counter that practice especially as it pertains to women.

Think about it. You and I (and mookie depending on where he is at any particular moment) work in places where there's a lot of employers. Say you work in Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit. You might have a little less bargaining power when someone tells you to take it or leave it. There's not a similar employer down the road, there's probably an abandoned building instead.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
            That's great, but employers are asking for a lot more nefarious reasons nowadays. If companies are operating at peak lean efficiency, a fancy way of saying they've cut to the bone on staffing to hand bigger bonuses to execs and dividends/stock buybacks to shareholders, they have to find savings somewhere. Part of that is to hire people cheaper than the people who left. I suspect these laws are meant to counter that practice especially as it pertains to women.

Think about it. You and I (and mookie depending on where he is at any particular moment) work in places where there's a lot of employers. Say you work in Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit. You might have a little less bargaining power when someone tells you to take it or leave it. There's not a similar employer down the road, there's probably an abandoned building instead.
            So if joe gets laid off and Mary is hired at a lower wage, doesn’t that become THE prevailing wage and therefore not one that underpays her for similar work?

Just seems harder to reach as a goal unless we all become unionized

Comment

This Franks story is absurd. He's resigning because he discussed surrogacy in the office with his female co-workers? That's the reason why he's quitting??? That.Makes.No.Sense.
              Completely agree. There has to be something else. RIght? Or maybe he tried to pressure them into doing it? I have no idea but just discussing it doesn't seem enough to resign.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                So if joe gets laid off and Mary is hired at a lower wage, doesn’t that become THE prevailing wage and therefore not one that underpays her for similar work?

Just seems harder to reach as a goal unless we all become unionized
                I too am curious to see how its all going to work out. I get the concept of what these places are trying to accomplish. One could also take a look on a companywide basis if the job Mary got hired for is being paid similarly in the same location, or if she's taking a 20% hit vs everyone else in a similar role.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

The solution to all of which is unionization. Without collective bargaining the few rich employers can always play the many poor employees against each other. That's why ownership tries to crush and smear unions wherever they can.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    The solution to all of which is unionization. Without collective bargaining the few rich employers can always play the many poor employees against each other. That's why ownership tries to crush and smear unions wherever they can.
                    As an employer who has hired many, many employees over the past 30 years, I always ask what they were making at their last job and what they expect to make with me. It's information.

Like it or not, employees are a cost that has to be monitored. If as an employer you are not willing to see if you can get an employee for 90% of what you might have been willing to pay, well then you'd be better suited to sitting on your (the employee) side of the table, because you aren't going to last on this side of the table.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      As an employer who has hired many, many employees over the past 30 years, I always ask what they were making at their last job and what they expect to make with me. It's information.

Like it or not, employees are a cost that has to be monitored. If as an employer you are not willing to see if you can get an employee for 90% of what you might have been willing to pay, well then you'd be better suited to sitting on your (the employee) side of the table, because you aren't going to last on this side of the table.
                      Of course, which is why labor has to negotiate collectively. Ownership is just as much a prisoner of the system as the worker. It's like slavery: in a society in which slavery is legal ethical employers who hire and pay their workers will be driven out of business. Therefore, government has to make slavery illegal so ethical employers will not be threatened by slaver employers.

Wages are exactly the same.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Completely agree. There has to be something else. RIght? Or maybe he tried to pressure them into doing it? I have no idea but just discussing it doesn't seem enough to resign.
                        I'm assuming he wanted to cut out the middle man in the process.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The problem is bigger than just having robust union representation (which I fully support). The problem is the concentration of high paying, high skilled jobs in the same handful of places.

Used to be manufacturing was done all over the country, and it was easier to standardize a union wage for work say building cars whether you were in Flint or Buffalo or Gary. Nowadays if you're in high tech, biotech, finance, energy, medical research, etc -most likely you're in a cluster with a bunch of other people in the same field. That gives you bargaining power, because you can easily get a job at a competitor without having to relocate and those industries aren't trying to complete on cost of labor.

If you're not in one of these places, and you work in a one industry or one company region, you have little bargaining power. A union in this case would help you achieve a livable wage, but would struggle to get you to earn as much as your high flying counterparts who are being fought over by multiple companies in the same place. This is the problem of stagnating wages, which also prevents a remedy for income disparity. If Kep gets canned by Citigroup in NYC, he can take his act to JP Morgan. If Kep gets canned in Toledo from the one car manufacturing plant left, where does he go? Nowhere, so most likely he puts up with miniscule pay increases because he's happy to just have a job.
                          Last edited by Rover; 12-08-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Possibly a negative perception of unions is their long association with criminal elements and the misappropriation of union dues?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Possibly a negative perception of unions is their long association with criminal elements and the misappropriation of union dues?
                              While sometimes true, also exaggerated to serve the propaganda interests of ownership (who were themselves often hand in hand with organized crime).

The unions declined because mass factory labor declined. We have yet to invent a strong union movement for the cubical farm labor that most people now are. Unionizing across that entire sector would give people real power.

The old joke is that business used to serve owners first and employees second, and now they serve owners first, shareholders second, and workers third. This began in the 70s and really picked up speed when the federal government under Reagan was so anti-union.

The owners in the 50s and 60s would have f-cked their workers too -- they would have been forced to the minute one of their competitors did. The only thing that stopped them was the unions -- they couldn't mistreat labor because it would strike and cost them dearly. Once that threat was removed owners reduced their employees to garbage while stagnating wages, exactly as was the case before the unions in the 19th century. It has to be this way, because nice guys finish last. The government has to stop all owners from exploiting their workers or all owners will either exploit their workers or go bankrupt.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Are you kidding me?
                                https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...regnate-287808

Buh-bye Franks.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X