Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    @nbcwashington: Dan Johnson, Republican state lawmaker in Kentucky who denied allegations he sexually assaulted a teenage girl, dies by suicide http://nbc4dc.com/SyeiTQN
    From the article:

The sexual assault accusations against Johnson were revealed as a sexual harassment scandal involving four other Republican lawmakers was unfolding at the state Capitol. Former Republican House Speaker Jeff Hoover resigned his leadership position after acknowledging he secretly settled a sexual harassment claim with a member of his staff. Three other lawmakers were involved in the settlement, and all lost their committee chairmanships.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      My point was that what we are starting to see is people coming forward not with real sexual assault or rape types of incidents, but simply examples of boorish behavior. Donald Trump walking around staring at Miss Universe contestants in their robes, like one described. A woman hit on in an elevator 20+ years ago, a woman who laughed it off according to her.
      One laughs it off because there aren't many other options available.
      Hi, my name is wT and this post may make you think I'm a millennial snowflake.
      While the instances that my body has been touched against my will are rare (so what you might call "not real sexual assault"), the instances I have felt trapped, with no 'safe space' have been frequent. What does one do on a school bus when constantly hit on, berated and teased for turning down the unwanted advances? Call it what you want, 'boorish behavior', 'locker room talk', either way it's exerting power and devaluing someone else and is not acceptable.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        My point was that what we are starting to see is people coming forward not with real sexual assault or rape types of incidents, but simply examples of boorish behavior. Donald Trump walking around staring at Miss Universe contestants in their robes, like one described. A woman hit on in an elevator 20+ years ago, a woman who laughed it off according to her.

The problem with these tweets/reports/stories, and especially the reaction to them in places like this message board, is that they are not examples of real sexual assault or harassment or rape. They are guys being ineffective horndogs.

When someone comes forward and says Donald Trump dragged me into his hotel room and started to rip my clothes off as I pleaded with him to stop, we have to sit up and take notice. When Stacey (now apparently Stacia) comes forward and says Donald Trump hit on me in 1993, the correct response is 'yawn.'
        Firstly, thank you for your input on what constitutes sexual harassment and assault. I'm sure women everywhere were waiting with bated breath on your opinion.

Secondly, I don't think anybody is saying the elevator story is sexual assault, so using it to disparage claims of assault in general is not just gross it's disingenuous.

Thirdly, things like "(now apparently Stacia)" are telling. We know you're That Guy, you don't need to prove it.

Fourthly, conflating drooling over pictures and assault is the same reductio ad absurdum logical error that essentialist feminists make, so not only is that a fallacy you're also in some very funny company.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

@nbcwashington: Dan Johnson, Republican state lawmaker in Kentucky who denied allegations he sexually assaulted a teenage girl, dies by suicide http://nbc4dc.com/SyeiTQN
          At the time, the woman told police, who investigated the incident but closed the case and did not file charges.
          Hope Timothy is paying attention here. "If only the victims would report it at the time, it could stop this stuff". Yeah, see, the real world works differently than the fantasy one in your head.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            What does one do on a school bus when constantly hit on, berated and teased for turning down the unwanted advances?
            Classic example: Dr. Mrs. was telling me about being at a bar with her girlfriends as a young comely lass and a guy sends a drink over. She can't accept it because that's leading him on. But if she politely declines she gets called a "c-nt" or a "whore." I think, "huh?" and say something like "OK, I can imagine some dou-chenozzle frat boy reacting like that, but how often does that really happen?" She: "about one outta three."

The only comparison I can make for a guy is what if everywhere you went publicly there were guys who wanted to challenge you to a fight? It would get old fast. The challenges would all be the same because the type of guy who just walks up to you for a fight is a lunkhead and they've watched all the same movies. Maybe sometimes you're even feeling a little frisky and wouldn't mind a tussle -- but there are ways you can make a move and not be direct. Step on a foot lightly by mistake. Give a meaningful glance. But Christ, you're out a bar with friends, or you're at the ATM, or you're at work, and here comes some creep with the same hurr durr old west come on. And some of those creeps are much bigger and stronger, and they might not take your "no" seriously. And if you take them to court for assault afterwards, the jury will say "well, he must have been dressed to fight," and the judge will have to apply the rule that your statement that you said "no" isn't enough, you need witnesses, and even then, well, what were you doing out if you weren't looking for a fight?

And everything on teevee 24/7 teaches these creeps about how wonderful fighting is, and there are movies where a guy gets in a fight involuntarily and then suddenly likes it, and guys who say no to fights are immediately called cowards, and the general consensus of society is that guys who come forward with claims are con artists looking for a settlement.
            Last edited by Kepler; 12-14-2017, 08:34 AM.
            Cornell University

Comment

Whenever I hear a no-gooder in a state like KY has committed suicide I always wonder if the word suicide needs those bunny-ears-air-fingers-quotes around it.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Maybe the Pope could get citizenship in the US, he's clean, right?
                He's a Catholic priest. Kep will explain the stereotype from here.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  He's a Catholic priest. Kep will explain the stereotype from here.
                  The Nope was abetting the rapists, but this last one seems OK.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Whenever I hear a no-gooder in a state like KY has committed suicide I always wonder if the word suicide needs those bunny-ears-air-fingers-quotes around it.
                    Why?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Why?
                      Taken out by the Hillary mob, duh.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Firstly, thank you for your input on what constitutes sexual harassment and assault. I'm sure women everywhere were waiting with bated breath on your opinion.
                        Nah, that's the difference between us. I never assume anyone is waiting to hear my opinion.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Hope Timothy is paying attention here. "If only the victims would report it at the time, it could stop this stuff". Yeah, see, the real world works differently than the fantasy one in your head.
                          Obviously there will be some walls that block progress in some cases, but any successful prosecution is a victory for the cause. If the police don't do anything/screw up then a civil suit could be brought forward. From what I understand, the level of proof of guilt for a civil case is less than for a criminal case, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Obviously there will be some walls that block progress in some cases, but any successful prosecution is a victory for the cause. If the police don't do anything/screw up then a civil suit could be brought forward. From what I understand, the level of proof of guilt for a civil case is less than for a criminal case, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
                            Have you ever dealt with someone who has tried to fight these things? If not try it some time and see if your simplistic description holds a candle to what actually happens. You talk about "successful prosecution" like this is some Law and Order episode...you have any idea how hard it is for a woman to prove sexual harassment or assault let alone get justice for it?

You really have to learn to critically think...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

There is this thing called "The will not to believe." The thing is so horrible that it can't be true.

Holocaust
                              Child sex abuse by (pick your group)
                              Now it's sex harrassment/abuse of adults by adults.

Just because the accused is an upstanding member of tghe community, does not mean they should escape scrutinity or prosecution.
                              Last edited by joecct; 12-14-2017, 10:11 AM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There is this thing called "The will not to believe." The thing is so horrible that it can't be true.

Holocaust
                                Child sex abuse by (pick your group)
                                Now it's sex harrassment/abuse of adults by adults.

Just because the accused is an upstanding member of the community, does not mean they should escape scrutinity or prosecution.
                                Exactly.

I am very surprised you did not include abortion as the murder of children in your list. My understanding of pro-lifers is they believe this to be true and that we pro-choicers are unconsciously deceiving ourselves because we could not face the magnitude of the crime otherwise.

Needless to say we don't agree, but then we wouldn't, would we?

Given that it is a fundamental of human psychology, one can only hope you're wrong. But it does bear thinking about.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X