Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DC Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    I'll simplify this and generalize it even more. Teach people that other people are in fact, people. Teach us all to respect others as equal no matter gender, skin color, religion, or prosperity level. Get away from the "me first" culture and learn to be adults in a civilized society.
    That's it right there.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
      So you answered your own question. Why don't more women come forward? Because it's difficult. And what makes it difficult? Many things, but among them are attitudes that women who do come forth are doing it for personal gain and women who don't do it in a public way are "just writing it off". No, it isn't simple, easy, or painless. But you don't need to have or express attitudes that make it more complex, difficult, or painful.
      I still believe all because it's hard doesn't mean you don't do anything. What Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks did wasn't easy or simple or painless. They said enough is enough and did something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        I wouldnt be surprised if the WELS group that Timothy A loves so much went full Trump as well.
        None of my WELS friends had Trump at the top of the list for candidates during the primary. Neither did I. I liked Rand Paul. When it came to the general election, we really had no choice but to vote for Trump, other than not vote or right someone in. Had the dems ran out a moderate candidate that wasn't oozing Wall Street money, I would have seriously considered that person over Trump. I have "crossed lines" before having voted for Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I still believe all because it's hard doesn't mean you don't do anything. What Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks did wasn't easy or simple or painless. They said enough is enough and did something about it.
          Totally agree that victims should come forward. But I don't believe in disparaging those who don't. To use your Rosa Parks example, I have great admiration for Rosa Parks, but I'm not critical of the others who took their seat in the back of the bus as "writing it off". And those of us who are not victims don't have to harbor the attitudes that make it more difficult for the Rosa Parks of the world to speak up.

Comment

Eddie: There are three things that Black people need to tell the truth about. Number one: Rodney King should've gotten his *** beat for being drunk in a Hyundai in a white part of Los Angeles. Number two: O.J. did it! And number three: Rosa Parks didn't do nuthin' but sit her Black *** down!
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

One of the primary dangers of systemic oppression is the way that victims cease to believe they are entitled to protection from mistreatment and therefore acquiesce to it. That's why a state actor cannot get by with violating the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment by saying the affected members of the class consented to mistreatment. A lot of the Me Too victims are victims of a culture that accepted this bad behavior by turning a blind eye to it. Until they are made to believe the culture will protect them, we should expect that many will not speak out.

If I'm defending an accused, I'll use a failure to complain against any accuser, of course, but that is an individual claim/rights dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                You understand that others were dealing with the issue at the same time right? You named two people who were leaders in the community but there were literally millions of others that dealt with race issues and even had to deal with the fallout of MLK and Rosa Parks standing up. It isnt like MLK stood up and the next day things changed, even he had to deal with the fallout for years up to and including being assassinated for it. You are seriously downplaying how much work it took and how much people had to suffer (and still do 60 years later just to be clear) to get there.

And of course the WELS voted Trump...why wouldnt a hardline religious group vote for a divorced, adulterous, lying alleged rapist who had zero covenant with God and bowed down to other Gods (see: money) and literally stood for nothing the Bible stands for or in your case Jesus. In fact he is about as far away from the teachings of Jesus as you can get. Congrats, you made a deal with the devil...just remember the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

"But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ."
                -2 Corinthians Chapter 11 verse 3

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
                -John Chapter 10 verse 10

But again, if you want to fix things, start with religion and go from there. As long as you teach that women are lesser, and as long as they are treated as such, most will never change.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by cls View Post
                  totally agree that victims should come forward. But i don't believe in disparaging those who don't. To use your rosa parks example, i have great admiration for rosa parks, but i'm not critical of the others who took their seat in the back of the bus as "writing it off". And those of us who are not victims don't have to harbor the attitudes that make it more difficult for the rosa parks of the world to speak up.
                  bingo!
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Always love when Republicans refer to their whitewashed version of MLK during arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Always love when Republicans refer to their whitewashed version of MLK during arguments.
                      The Republicans smeared King as a communist and the Dixiecrats who jumped to them wanted him murdered.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        The Republicans smeared King as a communist and the Dixiecrats who jumped to them wanted him murdered.
                        Right but nowadays they just ignore the whole communism part and just see a guy who made change happen without violence (despite the fact that it's not clearly that simple) and bring him up every time rioting occurs.

Comment

That is because MLK is the only Black leader they know. They have no idea the struggle that went on between the different factions of the Civil Rights Movement. (and how many didnt like MLK or his dealings with LBJ) None of them know who Roy Wilkens is or anyone else that was involved. They also forget (or ignore) that as King was doing his non-violent protests the White People watching were committing violent acts against them. They act like MLK walked down the streets in his fedora and all of a sudden everyone in Alabama parted like the Red Sea and let him pass.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The point is, King fought (and won) his battle against the same racist, violent forces that are at the base of the Republican party today.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I may be at sea, but I don't think those on the far right remember a sanitized King. I think many of them do have their own memories of those struggles and think King shouldn't have won the battles he did.

In particular, I think they feel the federal government they elect (Trump) should never and would never protect the protesters like Johnson did in the last Selma march.
                              Last edited by burd; 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Another.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/re...rticle/2643745
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X