Commonwealth Coast Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commonwealth Coast Conference

With the early results in, I wonder how folks are feeling about the scheduling format, home-and-home each weekend. I think that when teams play back to back, that second game can get very interesting. We all know that hockey players have memories like elephants, and never forget a cheap hit or an opportunity to payback a good hit. Hockey players also know that the payback is best when delivered unexpectedly. When the only time you'll see a particular opponent this year is the next night, it makes the payback factor very different.

I also wonder about waiting until the end of the season to play a particular opponent. I would love to hear what others think from within the conference and whether there have been other conferences that have scheduled this way.

Re: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
    With the early results in, I wonder how folks are feeling about the scheduling format, home-and-home each weekend. I think that when teams play back to back, that second game can get very interesting. We all know that hockey players have memories like elephants, and never forget a cheap hit or an opportunity to payback a good hit. Hockey players also know that the payback is best when delivered unexpectedly. When the only time you'll see a particular opponent this year is the next night, it makes the payback factor very different.

I also wonder about waiting until the end of the season to play a particular opponent. I would love to hear what others think from within the conference and whether there have been other conferences that have scheduled this way.
    Personally I would rather see travel partners like the other leagues

Comment

Originally posted by landing1010 View Post
      Personally I would rather see travel partners like the other leagues
      Rent a rinks may make that difficult locking down 2 home slots on a weekend.

EDIT: Though that is exactly what JWU & Suffolk will have to do next year.
      Last edited by joecct; 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A couple of weeks into the season, it appears that Salve and Endicott have set themselves apart from the rest of the league. I had the chance to watch Salve play through stream and then live at UNE. The have an explosive line that can put the puck in the net, and they are pretty quick. I am hoping that UNE gets their game together, but I am afraid they seem to be heading in the wrong direction, even though they beat Bowdoin last night. Taking too many weak penalties and they aren't showing any of the team speed they had last year.

So, I think Salve and Endicott are the teams to beat, I guess everyone else does too! (Endicott number 9 and Salve number 15, in the latest polls). After that, the teams are a toss-up.

Comment

Not a fan of the new scheduling with home-and-home weekends. Watching a Friday night game and traveling to a Saturday game, particularly if played in the afternoon, really shortens the weekend for doing other things. I liked the Wednesday or Thursday night game with a Saturday game much better.

Comment

Nice win for the CCC with Salve crushing Adrian. Like to see them beat UMB and defend their Codfish title.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
              Nice win for the CCC with Salve crushing Adrian. Like to see them beat UMB and defend their Codfish title.
              I guess you got your wish! Salve is one terrific team. I saw them early on, at UNE and they were quick. Looking at the box score, it looks as though Adrian had an advantage, outshooting Salve 40 -24, but that didn't matter at UNE, I think UNE outshot them by almost 30 (probably need to check on who is counting shots at UNE!)

I love the way they move the puck. Just wonder what happened against Wentworth and Western New England.

When do the new rankings come out? I am sure that Endicott and Salve have to make a move up. Not bad for the CCC. Now, if we could only get UNE playing the way they're capable! (Just my bias showing a bit!).

Comment

A good holiday for the conference with Endicott and Curry also winning out of conference. Maybe UNE will keep it going tonight. Salve also started the season with a win over Norwich, they seem to play to the level of the opposition.

Comment

Growing pains of a program on the rise. You learn how to beat the best, the next step is learning to bring that intensity and focus every game.
                  Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

A good win for the UNE Nor'Easters tonight in Northfield. A second win against a ranked team this week, not a bad week. It seems as though the CCC may be a bit stronger of a conference than I had originally thought it was going to be. Endicott and Salve were known, I think, before the season. UNE was a "wanna be", (may still be a wanna be), but they have played well recently. Wentworth and Nichols have been putting together some pretty good efforts.

This weekend could be a good indicator of the strength of the conference... or not! In any event, it is fun to watch.

Comment

A pretty good weekend for the Conference, looks like they went 10-2-1 in non-conference play and 13-2-2 for the week. Should make the second half of the season very interesting.

I am still not sure about the scheduling format. In one weekend, you see one opponent twice and then not again. If you get caught on a bad weekend, you could really hamper your chances of gaining ground, or vice versa. I guess we'll have to see. I'm just going to enjoy the hockey.

Comment

Very impressed with your league .... saw Salve early and UNE this weekend ... have not seen Endicott but you have to be impressed with their numbers.
                        Speaking of numbers this is bizarre ... UNE gave up 103 shots total this weekend and yet came away with two wins. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          Very impressed with your league .... saw Salve early and UNE this weekend ... have not seen Endicott but you have to be impressed with their numbers.
                          Speaking of numbers this is bizarre ... UNE gave up 103 shots total this weekend and yet came away with two wins. Weird.
                          I think UNE "stole" that game! NU had so much puck possession and in zone play, it was amazing. However, most of their shots were from outside and the keeper had full view. The few times NU crashed the net, the keeper did his job. He just took the puck into his body and stopped play. In both games, the keepers stopped every shot they were supposed to, and most of the ones they weren't supposed to.

I am really impressed with the conference. I wasn't saying that two years ago! I was really concerned about UNE leaving the NEHC for the CCC, thinking it was a lesser conference. Can't say that anymore.

Comment

The University of New England announced that Curt Smyth will be the new Director of Athletics, succeeding Jack McDonald. This is a great move for the Athletic Department and for all of the student/athletes of UNE!

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                              The University of New England announced that Curt Smyth will be the new Director of Athletics, succeeding Jack McDonald. This is a great move for the Athletic Department and for all of the student/athletes of UNE!
                              Meant to insert a link to the announcement: http://athletics.une.edu/news/2018/1...athletics.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X