Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Well, I saw no evidence of coaching on the home side at Chip Kenyon Arena last night. No hustle, no enthusiasm, no hint that the players in white even knew what the other players in white were doing there. Only the goalie showed up to play, and he got a work out. Colby sure put things together after the first period yesterday. NOW they sit atop the NESCAC.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
      Well, I saw no evidence of coaching on the home side at Chip Kenyon Arena last night. No hustle, no enthusiasm, no hint that the players in white even knew what the other players in white were doing there. Only the goalie showed up to play, and he got a work out. Colby sure put things together after the first period yesterday. NOW they sit atop the NESCAC.
      Colby drops two out of three (one non-league to UNE) this week and ends up in first. Weird...

Meanwhile, I have been interested in UNE since they tromped Colby at their place last year in their first-ever win over the Mules. I believe they had the highest scoring team in D-III at the time. This week the unranked and underated Nor' Easters beat #14 Colby, #6 Geneseo and #11 Norwich. I watched the Norwich game in its entirety, a 1-0 win, and a great game to watch. If UNE does't jump into the top 10 this week, something is very wrong. Thus far, they haven't even received any votes! They are now 10-3-2... With six first-years in the lineup, this team is going to be tough for a long time.
      Last edited by OhioMule; 01-07-2018, 08:52 AM.
      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Middlebury Coaching??? Ha Ha! Track record of current coach is deplorable! Headed for 20 loss season to back up his 19 loss season a year ago... Would struggle with local Mite team. I heard Beaney is on suicide watch... The once great program Beaney built is being run into the ground. Sad. Team looks lost. Zero flow, discipline, structure, leadership ... nothing.... Really bad ... Same think at Skidmore before his tragic arrival ..... Beaney while on leave handed him a team in 02-03 that should have won national championship skating backwards and he completely screwed that up.... completely! Somehow that was his claim to fame ....Coach and team are never prepared.... When things go reasonably well it is in spite of coaching .... Really unbelievable that a program like Middlebury is now spinning moral victories and effort as the measure of success..... Fire him or the AD for bringing him in .... or both .... Or melt the ice and make it a sanctuary student center. Unreal!

Comment

Originally posted by Felonious View Post
          Middlebury Coaching??? Ha Ha! Track record of current coach is deplorable! Headed for 20 loss season to back up his 19 loss season a year ago... Would struggle with local Mite team. I heard Beaney is on suicide watch... The once great program Beaney built is being run into the ground. Sad. Team looks lost. Zero flow, discipline, structure, leadership ... nothing.... Really bad ... Same think at Skidmore before his tragic arrival ..... Beaney while on leave handed him a team in 02-03 that should have won national championship skating backwards and he completely screwed that up.... completely! Somehow that was his claim to fame ....Coach and team are never prepared.... When things go reasonably well it is in spite of coaching .... Really unbelievable that a program like Middlebury is now spinning moral victories and effort as the measure of success..... Fire him or the AD for bringing him in .... or both .... Or melt the ice and make it a sanctuary student center. Unreal!
          Ditto. After Saturday's embarrassment, I couldn't bear to return on Sunday to face a more severe thrashing at the hands of Trinity. I confess to watching the entire game on NSN. Klein once again saved Sinclair's Panthers from complete humiliation as he deflected a hail of bullets that would give Wonder Woman nightmares.

Comment

For a big fan or NESCAC sports and a bigger fan of Middlebury hockey this is very painful to watch. In fact, I can't watch. Playing bad hockey in a silent, empty rink is no good for anyone. Staying the course is not an option. I have no illusions that Middlebury can rattle off 8 national championships again, the hockey landscape has changed too much since those days. But it would be nice to see a team contending for a NESCAC title and that is not going to happen the way things are now. Why would a top NESCAC level player opt to come to Middlebury?
            Friday night and Saturday afternoon home men's hockey games have been a town/college community event in Middlebury since the 1950's. Now, Kenyon arena is a very lonely place on a Friday night. Men's hockey and Middlebury Winter Carnival (that's college alpine and nordic ski races for hockey only folks) have defined the college's winter athletics for decades. Skiing (men's and women's) is a very strong sport at Middlebury, but for now, men's hockey is in the pits.
            PS -- Middlebury's women's hockey team is very competitive in the NESCAC with multiple league titles and outstanding teams in recent years. They are well-coached and fun to watch. More folks should go to the games. Their style of play is high tempo with fast skating and quick puck movement. They work hard every shift.

Comment

Originally posted by Felonious View Post
              Really unbelievable that a program like Middlebury is now spinning moral victories and effort as the measure of success..... Fire him or the AD for bringing him
              From a distance ... my impression is this was exactly the goal the NESCAC schools hierarchy was pursuing when they lobbied for a Division 4 in athletics a decade ago; playing solely for the love of the game, allowing for multi-sport students, and d*mn the results. (If I recall correctly)

P.S. Welcome to the ever shrinking USCHO D3 board. There used to be a slew of Midd fans on this board ... more recently, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                From a distance ... my impression is this was exactly the goal the NESCAC schools hierarchy was pursuing when they lobbied for a Division 4 in athletics a decade ago; playing solely for the love of the game, allowing for multi-sport students, and d*mn the results. (If I recall correctly)

P.S. Welcome to the ever shrinking USCHO D3 board. There used to be a slew of Midd fans on this board ... more recently, not so much.
                Should we say congradulations?

Who ticked off the admissions office?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                  From a distance ... my impression is this was exactly the goal the NESCAC schools hierarchy was pursuing when they lobbied for a Division 4 in athletics a decade ago; playing solely for the love of the game, allowing for multi-sport students, and d*mn the results. (If I recall correctly). . . .
                  Yup -- that seems to be what is going on at Middlebury (an unannounced program downgrade) and maybe at Bowdoin too. In both cases, there was change in coaches and a dramatic drop in program quality . . .What is surprising is that there is not more internal counter pressure to preserve the history and strength of both programs.
                  Last edited by d3follower; 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                    Yup -- that seems to be what is going on at Middlebury (an unannounced program downgrade) and maybe at Bowdoin too. In both cases, there was change in coaches and a dramatic drop in program quality . . .What is surprising is that there is not more internal counter pressure to preserve the history and strength of both programs.
                    In the past, Middlebury got a lot of community support as well as from the student body. Before Kenyon you had to get to the arena early to get a set where you could see the game. Fans came from all over the area equipped with blankets to reserve the prime seats for their friends. When the new arena opened, the place was full, and the blanket brigade still held down most of the seats. The last couple of trips I made from Northfield over there, the support was starting to wane. Looking at telecasts from there now, it looks as though getting a good seat is no longer a problem
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Re: Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      In the past, Middlebury got a lot of community support as well as from the student body. Before Kenyon you had to get to the arena early to get a set where you could see the game. Fans came from all over the area equipped with blankets to reserve the prime seats for their friends. When the new arena opened, the place was full, and the blanket brigade still held down most of the seats. The last couple of trips I made from Northfield over there, the support was starting to wane. Looking at telecasts from there now, it looks as though getting a good seat is no longer a problem
                      This, of course, is the understatement of the year. You can have a section to yourself. When Middlebury took a 1-0 lead against Plattsburgh on Friday night (yes Plattsburgh, yes Friday night), the crowd noise rose to the same level as it did half way through the anthem. And the student section sits unused. You could clean it after the game without soiling your white gloves.

Comment

Does anyone know the severity of the injury to Buitenhuis? That was quite a shock to my system seeing that Hamilton lost 3-0 giving up only 9 shots on goal.

Comment

So sad to see the results of the past year and read these posts, but they accurately reflect the complete implosion of the men’s hockey program.

I was at Middlebury during some of the glory years (97-01), and what’s been said about it being a premier sport for the college, an important college-community experience and a huge source of pride is completely right on. Great moments like winning the title at Norwich’s beautiful new rink, the OT NESCAC title win over Williams, the unexpected 2004 title (yes, yes, ‘congradulations’) and so on. Hockey was an important part of the Middlebury experience.

Watching from afar, it’s hard to understand what's changed.

Did the college intentionally deprioritise an expensive sport / one that may've required more admissions tips?

Have the changing demographics at Middlebury – much more diverse geographically, ethnically, socio-economically, etc. – meant that a Middlebury sport that was pretty white, Northeast, prep school, is just fundamentally less appealing to students and the administration? (I’d say that during my years, hockey games attracted a wide range of students – not just rich white kids.)

Has hockey simply been replaced by men’s basketball, which seems to draw big crowds, even though it was historically Middlebury’s weakest sport? Do townspeople go to basketball games now too? And is that simply because hockey is now so bad and basketball is doing well?

Is it just a coaching thing, as pointed out above re Sinclair? (It’s impossible to ignore this, plus various things that were talked about during and after that Beaney sabbatical season that didn’t paint a positive picture.)

I’m not sure what will to change exists within the college, if the hockey alums are putting pressure on the administration to fix it or if it’s just the way it is now. Regardless, another terrible season is hard to stomach.
                          Middlebury hockey - "In it to win it"

1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006 Men's DIII NCAA Champions
                          2004, 2005, 2006 Women's DIII NCAA Champions, 2000, 2001 Women's DIII National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
                            Does anyone know the severity of the injury to Buitenhuis? That was quite a shock to my system seeing that Hamilton lost 3-0 giving up only 9 shots on goal.
                            Buitenhuis injured his right leg in the Bowdoin game a week ago yesterday. At the time, it did not look to be a serious injury as he was able to stretch his leg for the trainer and stayed in the game before taking himself out of the game a few minutes later.

Comment

Colby's long slide, losing five of their last six games, started with a 5-3 loss at UNE just after semester break, and is hopefully end-capped by the 5-1 drubbing they suffered at home at the hands of the same team, last night. Up until last season, the Nor' Easters had never beaten the Mules. Now they have taken them three in a row. We've got to stop scheduling these guys! I've touted this team before and will continue to keep an eye on them. They are big, fast, young and rough. They are averaging close to 20 mins per game in penalties, but easily cover the lost time with creative play in the offensive zone. They have an uncanny knack for finding the open man. And they are mostly first-years and sophomores. In case you haven't noticed, the CCC is now the toughest league in the East, with Endicott with 12 D-I transfers having lost only once, and an emergent Salve Regina, and now UNE making its move, defeating Geneseo and Norwich on consecutive nights.

Colby has given up five goals in three consecutive games. At the start of the season, the one concern I did not have was goaltending. They badly need to get back on track with NESCAC home games this weekend against Midd and Williams.
                              Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

There is no unannounced plan by Middlebury to de-emphasize sports in general or men's hockey specifically. Panther teams are always competitive at the top of the NESCAC in (almost) all sports. They have some of the best coaches, and best facilities in all of D3, and they are not interested in fielding basement-dwelling teams in any sport. The school is well aware (and reminded often) that the men's hockey program is not performing at an acceptable level.

Comment

Working...
                                X