Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
    I keep looking for Conn College to have a breakout season. This weekend could go a long way to starting that. Colby always has trouble with them. I actually like your Conn/Bowdoin pick.
    They seem to be on the (b)rink, only to slip and fall.

Comment

Thwarted by the fates once again. Have the night off and the stream from Waterville is having "production issues." Why me..?
      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Thwarted by the fates once again. Have the night off and the stream from Waterville is having "production issues." Why me..?
        I feel for you--it is so frustrating and disappointing. But you sure were right on about the low scores and stellar goaltending.

Comment

And now a word about Middlebury hockey, the team that fans have forgotten. And with good reason. Last in the NESCAC in defense, last in the nation in offense, first in the NESCAC in penalty minutes, more major penalties than the rest of the conference COMBINED, cumulatively outscored by their opponents 22-1 over the second and third periods thus far this season. Hmm. Sound like a coaching problem perhaps?
          Last edited by minnesotan in vermont; 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
            And now a word about Middlebury hockey, the team that fans have forgotten. And with good reason. Last in the NESCAC in defense, last in the nation in offense, first in the NESCAC in penalty minutes, more major penalties than the rest of the conference COMBINED, cumulatively outscored by their opponents 22-1 over the second and third periods thus far this season. Hmm. Sound like a coaching problem perhaps?
            Or a recruitment problem, which may or may not be the coach's fault.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I feel for you--it is so frustrating and disappointing. But you sure were right on about the low scores and stellar goaltending.
              1.56 goals against for all the NESCAC teams in action last night! Three shutouts... Amazing! I look for more of the same tonight. This is a goaltending league.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Or a recruitment problem, which may or may not be the coach's fault.
                Could be, although the recruits, on paper, come out average to above average in comparison to the rest of the conference.

Comment

There must be some concern in Polarbearland over the 7-1 thrashing by the Camels - at home no less.

I hate semester break. The drama is on hold for almost a whole month.

Comment

There must be some concern in Polarbearland over the 7-1 thrashing by the Camels - at home no less.

I hate semester break. The drama is on hold for almost a whole month.
                    However, you do get to enjoy the Mules perch atop the NESCAC for at least 4 weeks.

Comment

However, you do get to enjoy the Mules perch atop the NESCAC for at least 4 weeks.
                      Uh, #2

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                        Uh, #2
                        Yep, #2. Happy with that for now. Cam MacDonald's five goal game may get him NESCAC Player of the Week for a month, however...

Comment

Bowdoin has one win in five home games. In these five games The Polar Bears allowed twenty goals while scoring only seven,

For the past year thirteen months I've been trying to decide whether Bowdoin plays a defensive system or an offensive system. I've come to the realization that it plays no system.

It looks like the Polar Bears are heading for a second consecutive losing season. The last time this happened was in 1961-62 (10-11-1) and 1962-63 (6-13).
                          Last edited by Euler18; 12-11-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                            Bowdoin has one win in five home games. In these five games The Polar Bears allowed twenty goals while scoring only seven,

It looks like the Polar Bears are heading for a second consecutive losing season. The last time this happened was in 1961-62 (10-11-1) and 1962-63 (6-13).
                            Believe it or not, those were my freshman and sophomore years at Colby. Years later, I met a guy who played on those aforementioned Bowdoin teams. When I met him, he was a rising star on the bench in the courts in Manhattan. Of course, he knew a lot of guys who had played for Colby back then. '61-'62 was Colby's greatest season - Jack Kelley was coach and Ron Ryan and Frank Stephenson were first-team All- Americans.

Colby hockey has suffered since Jim Tortorella's sudden departure some seven years ago. Coach MacDonald has been methodically rebuilding. He brings a welcome stability to the job. We are lucky to have him. Last year his recruiting paid off and, even though the team graduated a bunch of good seniors, this year is looking good so far. This week, the Mules broke into the top 15 and had the NESCAC Player of the Week for the second week in a row.

Bowdoin and Colby are inextricably linked in many ways, but most of all in hockey. It's great to have a worthy rival. Down years come and go, but we have a lot of great games in this rivalry to look forward to.

Comment

Believe it or not, those were my freshman and sophomore years at Colby. Years later, I met a guy who played on those aforementioned Bowdoin teams. When I met him, he was a rising star on the bench in the courts in Manhattan. Of course, he knew a lot of guys who had played for Colby back then. '61-'62 was Colby's greatest season - Jack Kelley was coach and Ron Ryan and Frank Stephenson were first-team All- Americans.

Colby hockey has suffered since Jim Tortorella's sudden departure some seven years ago. Coach MacDonald has been methodically rebuilding. He brings a welcome stability to the job. We are lucky to have him. Last year his recruiting paid off and, even though the team graduated a bunch of good seniors, this year is looking good so far. This week, the Mules broke into the top 15 and had the NESCAC Player of the Week for the second week in a row.

Bowdoin and Colby are inextricably linked in many ways, but most of all in hockey. It's great to have a worthy rival. Down years come and go, but we have a lot of great games in this rivalry to look forward to.
                              And you played Clarkson in the 1962 ECAC quarterfinals
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                And you played Clarkson in the 1962 ECAC quarterfinals
                                Yep. In the old Boston Arena. We lost. I was there. Then we lost the consolation to Harvard. A bummer of an end to a season with only one loss. I think the game against Clarkson was the semi-final. As I recall, it was Clarkson and St. Lawrence in the final. I don't remember who won - probably Clarkson. They had a huge team. This was 55 years ago - and I can't remember what I had for breakfast...
                                Last edited by OhioMule; 12-11-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X