Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
    While Middlebury is a serious threat to go 0-24.
    I've noticed that in the "Last Person Standing Thread" the strategy of some posters is to pick against the same team every week. Seems pretty smart. It's sad that I'm thinking Middlebury could be one of the teams to consistently pick against.
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Re: Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
      I've noticed that in the "Last Person Standing Thread" the strategy of some posters is to pick against the same team every week. Seems pretty smart. It's sad that I'm thinking Middlebury could be one of the teams to consistently pick against.
      I think they're going to come around. They had a competitive first period against Colby, and they were never totally out of it vs. Bowdoin. I think that once those first-years and sophs get some games under their belts, they will win some games. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do against Lawrence, whose only two wins were against teams that have not won a game.
      Last edited by OhioMule; 11-24-2017, 01:32 PM.
      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
        I think they're going to come around. They had a competitive first period against Colby, and they were never totally out of it vs. Bowdoin. I think that once those first-years and sophs get some games under their belts, they will win some games. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do against Lawrence, whose only two wins were against teams that have not won a game.
        I would expect that Lawrence will play their normal hard checking game...but typically they take too many penalties...46 in six games..
        SNC Men:
        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
        SNC Women:
        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Too many critical and unforced mistakes again. Undisciplined. An assistant captain taking a major penalty for fighting? Really helps the Panthers' chances. On the bright side, the Powers, Fahie, Tkaczuk line showed some promise last evening. Still not convinced they will post a W this season.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
            Too many critical and unforced mistakes again. Undisciplined. An assistant captain taking a major penalty for fighting? Really helps the Panthers' chances. On the bright side, the Powers, Fahie, Tkaczuk line showed some promise last evening. Still not convinced they will post a W this season.
            Looked like a hell of a hockey game until that major. Loved seeing Platty take down the Cadets...

Comment

I must say Midd looked like a different team this afternoon. Crisper passing, more movement. I thought the officiating left a lot to be desired. Sour grapes? I don't think I've ever seen a 5 minute major for a hip check. Anyway, from where I sat, this one played a lot closer than the score.

Comment

UMB rode a five game win streak to a 5-1 win over Colby for six in a row. This was a hard game to figure out, especially watching on my computer. The play looked a lot more even than the score - shots were even at 36. Good goaltending by UMB? That was probably the difference.

This afternoon, it's Jim Tortaorella-coached St. Anselm down at Bowdoin. Does anyone know why Torts suddenly quit his Colby job six years ago?
                Last edited by OhioMule; 11-26-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

UMB rode a five game win streak to a 5-1 win over Colby for six in a row. This was a hard game to figure out, especially watching on my computer. The play looked a lot more even than the score - shots were even at 36. Good goaltending by UMB? That was probably the difference.

This afternoon, it's Jim Tortaorella-coached St. Anselm down at Bowdoin. Does anyone know why Torts suddenly quit his Colby job six years ago?
                  A totally different take on shot count....as I watched the Women's game yesterday between Plattsburgh and Adrian I realized how shot count alone means nothing.....many of the Adrian SOG were merely pucks that were cleared toward the goal and easily stopped by Abbott. Other great scoring attempts that barely missed the goal or were deflected by another player are not shots !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

This happens to me every year... I have an adult hockey league game on Friday night. Therefore, I will miss the first game of the Bowdoin/Colby home-and-home. Is there anyway I can get a replay of the NSN stream or other video source?

Comment

What time will you get home? If you make it home before the end of the game, say 8:45pm, then you can slide the bottom bar back to the start of the game. Then you can watch it from the beginning. If you are real clever, you can do it without seeing the score and then it will be like watching it live.
                      Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                        What time will you get home? If you make it home before the end of the game, say 8:45pm, then you can slide the bottom bar back to the start of the game. Then you can watch it from the beginning. If you are real clever, you can do it without seeing the score and then it will be like watching it live.
                        Haha. I always wondered if that would work. Unfortunately, the timing isn't right. However, I might be able to catch much of it on my phone in the locker room. We hit the ice at 9:10.

As I recall, you drove up to Waterville for the game, last year. Are you doing that, again?

Comment

Haha. I always wondered if that would work. Unfortunately, the timing isn't right. However, I might be able to catch much of it on my phone in the locker room. We hit the ice at 9:10.

As I recall, you drove up to Waterville for the game, last year. Are you doing that, again?
                          We can't make it up to Waterville this year, but we are planning on going to Brunswick for the second game.
                          Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

So, what edition of the Bowdoin/Colby rivalry are we looking at, Friday night? By my count, it's 209, but I might be off by a game...

Comment

Friday

Colby 4 Bowdoin 1
                              Conn College 2 Middlebury 2
                              Williams 4 Tufts 2

Saturday

Colby 3 Bowdoin 2
                              Middlebury 4 Tufts 3
                              Hamilton 5 Trinity 3
                              Williams 3 Conn College 0
                              Amherst 5 Wesleyan 1

Sunday

Amherst 3 Trinity 2
                              Hamilton 5 Wesleyan 0

Comment

From this week's USCHO D-III East Picks:
                                Bowdoin at Colby
                                This is one of the greatest rivalries in all of D-III for the players, schools, and alumni alike. Records generally go out the window in these games, and there are very few blowouts in this Maine grudge match. Look for the Mules to eke one out at home. Colby 3-2

I can go with this. Not so sure about Saturday, however. It might be too much to ask of the Mules to sweep two years in a row.

Bring on the squid!

Comment

Working...
                                X