Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't anyone going to start a NESCAC 2017-2018 thread?

So far, Williams looks like the better team 5-5, but Bowdoin either is very crisp on passing during their PPs when they can set up, or Williams needs some serious practice on the PK because both Bowdoin goals have been on their only two PPs and had excellent passing.

Comment

First game of the season, you hope your team can pull out a win so you don't have to worry about them going winless all season long. And winning on the road in NESCAC is hard to pull off. But, to win 9-1..? All I can say is, I know Middlebury can't be that bad, and Colby can't be that good. It goes back to what I said earlier, you never know what's going to happen on the first weekend of the season, whether a team had a good training camp, how the first-years are going to play... Not taking too much from this, just happy to have two points on the road. Tomorrow night vs. Williams might enlighten us a bit more.

An aside... I was able to watch the first period without a problem. Then, my four year-old grandson had to watch some kids show on Netflix, and completely drained my pathetic bandwidth. Followed the last two periods on live stats. Life is so unfair.
      Last edited by OhioMule; 11-18-2017, 08:16 PM.
      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Well, I hope you are right about Middlebury not being THAT bad. From where I sat, I saw little to arouse hope in Panther fans. About half way through the second period, Midd went on a 5 on 3 power play for almost 2 full minutes and the score 3 to 1. What followed was a sight not for the faint of heart. The Panthers chased the puck like a pack of dogs in pursuit of a laser light, and much of it behind their own blue line. I think from that point on, Colby knew they had nothing to fear as they proceeded to pile up the goals in a very businesslike fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
          Well, I hope you are right about Middlebury not being THAT bad. From where I sat, I saw little to arouse hope in Panther fans. About half way through the second period, Midd went on a 5 on 3 power play for almost 2 full minutes and the score 3 to 1. What followed was a sight not for the faint of heart. The Panthers chased the puck like a pack of dogs in pursuit of a laser light, and much of it behind their own blue line. I think from that point on, Colby knew they had nothing to fear as they proceeded to pile up the goals in a very businesslike fashion.
          The first period, the only one I was actually able to watch, looked like a competitive match. Once I was relegated to following on live stats, I was shocked to see the reports of goals coming in like they were on a ticker-tape.

Comment

Really looking forward to following the Stevenson/Hamilton tilt today. A nice early non-conference matchup between two "newcomers" on the top 15 scene.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

. The Panthers chased the puck like a pack of dogs in pursuit of a laser light
              What a marvelous simile! Bravo!
              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

After two: Middlebury looking like they have settled down and are playing much better against Bowdoin this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Really looking forward to following the Stevenson/Hamilton tilt today. A nice early non-conference matchup between two "newcomers" on the top 15 scene.
                  Welp...Hamilton humbled Stevenson...6-0 win for contis.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Williams is going to be tough to beat at home again this year. A five-minute major for grabbing a face mask did Colby in. As the play-by-play guy said at the end of the game, two good teams played a good game.

Comment

While Middlebury is a serious threat to go 0-24.

Comment

Pretty close calls on the Tufts scores! Jumbos looked like a team with 21 frosh or sophomores on the roster; a little ragged. May have pretty good potential though as they gain experience and with what appears to be very goaltending again. Tough test with Babson tonight.

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                        Friday:
                        Wesleyan 3 - Conn Col 1
                        Hamilton 2 - Amherst 1
                        Trinity 5 - Tufts 2
                        Saturday:
                        Tufts 4 - Wesleyan 3
                        Trinity 5 - Conn Col 2
                        Williams 3 - Bowdoin 2
                        Colby 3 - Middlebury 2
                        Sunday:
                        Colby 3 - Williams 1
                        Hamilton 4 - Stevenson 2
                        Bowdoin 2 - Middlebury 1

Comment

It's holiday tournament time! My favorite is the Primelink Tournament with permanent participants Norwich, Plattsburgh and Middlebury, plus one invite. Historically, those teams have been highly ranked and very competitive against each other - not so much for Midd in the past few years, but still a great tournament. Then there is the Bowdoin-Colby Invitational, set up so the two host teams cannot play each other. This year, highly regarded U Mass Boston is involved, along with St. Anselm, coached by former Colby coach, Jim Tortorella. Should be fun.

After traveling back and forth between the two rinks, the following weekend Bowdoin and Colby will be making the same trip for their historic rivalry home-and-home. Last year, Colby swept the weekend. Bowdoin will be looking to avenge this year. This is the best time of the year. Bring on the squid!
                          Last edited by OhioMule; 11-22-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I agree, the Primelink used to be very exciting. Couldn't wait for Middlebury, Norwich, and Plattsburgh to do battle in this D3 powerhouse showcase. Now it seems to have lost much of its lustre. True, the Cadets usually bring out the very best in the Panthers, and Platty always looks good in this tourney. But it looks like Midd should go the way of Potsdam the next time the contract comes up for renewal, and Norwich should not really be stretched much to prevail again this year. But ... that is why they play the games.

Comment

While Middlebury is a serious threat to go 0-24.
                              When someone comments that "Middlebury is a hockey school," they probably mean field hockey!
                              Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Nice article about the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout: http://d3hockey.com/notables/2017-18...ootout-preview

Comment

Working...
                                X