Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Somewhat of a Change of Pace

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Thought - what's on the child's birth certificate under parents?
    what are you going to muse about now?
    eligible to be queen of England?
    or maybe suggest the second coming, a virgin birth?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Another consequence of SSM that needs to be addressed (if it hasn't already) by the legislatures.

Thought - what's on the child's birth certificate under parents?
      If Canada recognizes gay marriage, both the mothers.

Like I said in my original comment, it's an interesting legal issue.

But the real issue is, which country will the kid play for? :-)
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        what are you going to muse about now?
        eligible to be queen of England?
        or maybe suggest the second coming, a virgin birth?
        Nah, just a 3rd National Championship - and a 5th grandkid come April.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          If Canada recognizes gay marriage, both the mothers.

Like I said in my original comment, it's an interesting legal issue.

But the real issue is, which country will the kid play for? :-)
          Gulstene is a dualie. As I recall her explanation of the situation she was allowed her choice with a one-time backsies (which may have an age-based expiration date I think). She lives in Canada but plays for USA currently

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            I think you've missed my point. If she never sets foot in the US but has US citizenship conferred upon her by virtue of one of her "parents" being a US citizen, if she is not eventually educated on the topic (and assuming this law is not repealed), she could end up having two countries chasing her for income tax...the one in which she resides and earns income and the other being the US even though she would have availed herself of no services whatsoever from the US. How much disposable income do you figure is left over when two countries each get their pound of flesh? Even if you like the idea of having your money stolen from you at the point of a gun do you figure twice as much theft perpetrated on a victim is twice as good?

There are lots of other issues other than the one that I just mentioned that flow from this criminality which has caused many US citizens to reluctantly renounce their citizenship basically because they were forced into a position by their own heavy handed parasitic US government (most are pretty bad but the US takes the cake...unfortunately for their citizens) where they had no other attractive choice. Think about that for a minute.

So, you may want to ask yourself...if you're not aware of these issues, if you are not aware of the horror stories that have been endured by countless numbers of people as a result of this law, their lives turned upside down from being tormented by their own government, if you are not aware of many other similar serious transgressions that occur daily around us...how real can the world that you think that you are living in really be?
            I'd be interested in examples. I am friends with two dualies (unrelated) who have lived both in the US and their other homes (Switzerland and Canada) and worked with professionals who worked for extended periods overseas. When I was looking at an offer for a 3 year gig in Bahrain I talked to them & none of them mentioned any problems. I don't have personal knowledge so I'd like to hear what you know & how.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              I'd be interested in examples. I am friends with two dualies (unrelated) who have lived both in the US and their other homes (Switzerland and Canada) and worked with professionals who worked for extended periods overseas. When I was looking at an offer for a 3 year gig in Bahrain I talked to them & none of them mentioned any problems. I don't have personal knowledge so I'd like to hear what you know & how.
              After posting that I went back to see if I could find those articles but no luck so far (I thought that I may have saved them). I'll look further when I have some time. Very disturbing accounts.

As a further point there are only two countries on the planet who demand income taxes from the worldwide income generated by their "citizens" regardless of where those citizens live full time...Eritrea and the USA. Great company the US government keeps. This was my point about the child, if she never sets foot in the US but is somehow deemed a US "citizen" the US government will be expecting her to pay it income taxes on any earned income regardless of the fact that she would also be paying income taxes to the country in which she resides and earns her income.

Worthy of note is also the fact that in the last 5 or 6 years or so the US government has substantially increased the fee that one has to pay it in order to renounce his or her citizenship as the number of such applications annually was rising alarmingly. An exit tax, as it were. As I recall it was $200-300. Then it was increased by $100-200 approx. Then it went to $1000-1200 and then to around $2500 or so a few years ago from what I last read. Too many sheep were waking up and leaving the pen which is not good for those in charge of the shearing. So, increase the difficulty encountered by those attempting to leave. Thwart their efforts so they can tell their friends and discourage them. The noose tightens.

Anyway, this was the basis for my saying that the parents need to educate themselves quickly so that they can make informed decisions for their daughter. Their ignorance on the topic will be very expensive for the child in more ways than one if she is deemed to be a US citizen but resides and earns her living in another country.
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-08-2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Jesus this is just the worst thread, congratulations to all of you.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Here's one I just stumbled upon (although not one of the ones that I was thinking of) with several embedded links, one of which I've also included.

As I was checking for you last night I came across the newly increased "exit tax". As I mentioned it's been rising dramatically to keep the sheep in the pen. Apparently, it is now half the uppity ingrate's net worth! If that is accurate it bears some serious thought of what a government is doing to its citizens. "Freedom"...nothing but lip service when it comes from government officials.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/16/fa...-citizenship-i

http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/12/re...-renounce-citi

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    After posting that I went back to see if I could find those articles but no luck so far (I thought that I may have saved them). I'll look further when I have some time. Very disturbing accounts.

As a further point there are only two countries on the planet who demand income taxes from the worldwide income generated by their "citizens" regardless of where those citizens live full time...Eritrea and the USA. Great company the US government keeps. This was my point about the child, if she never sets foot in the US but is somehow deemed a US "citizen" the US government will be expecting her to pay it income taxes on any earned income regardless of the fact that she would also be paying income taxes to the country in which she resides and earns her income.

Worthy of note is also the fact that in the last 5 or 6 years or so the US government has substantially increased the fee that one has to pay it in order to renounce his or her citizenship as the number of such applications annually was rising alarmingly. An exit tax, as it were. As I recall it was $200-300. Then it was increased by $100-200 approx. Then it went to $1000-1200 and then to around $2500 or so a few years ago from what I last read. Too many sheep were waking up and leaving the pen which is not good for those in charge of the shearing. So, increase the difficulty encountered by those attempting to leave. Thwart their efforts so they can tell their friends and discourage them. The noose tightens.

Anyway, this was the basis for my saying that the parents need to educate themselves quickly so that they can make informed decisions for their daughter. Their ignorance on the topic will be very expensive for the child in more ways than one if she is deemed to be a US citizen but resides and earns her living in another country.
                    That is odd as it runs counter to the experience shared with me my 2 different dualies.

But,since we are working hard to keep down with Eritrea on healthcare and income equality let's go for the trifecta.

Comment

That is odd as it runs counter to the experience shared with me my 2 different dualies.
                      Me, too, with someone I know in Canada. And he served in Vietnam before moving to Canada ... and only stayed because he met a woman, got married, and started a family. So, he got Canadian citizenship, but refused to renounce his American citizenship.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                      X