X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    All 7 of them
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

In a sane world it would be every member of the GOP caucus.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        It's probably every Republican in California, New York, and New Jersey. That's a healthy chunk.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

It'll all be forgotten in 11 months. By then, the heist will be complete.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            It'll all be forgotten in 11 months. By then, the heist will be complete.
            No Comstock's definitely gone next time around. The district is blue and getting bluer, and she only barely won last time because the Dems (for some reason) nominated someone who lived outside of the district.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/house-...bills-promises

House conservatives are already indicating that they're prepared to block some of the key legislative promises that Senate Republicans demanded in exchange for their vote on tax reform legislation.

Those promises materialized in the frantic final hours of the tax debate last week, as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) gave Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Jeff Flake (R-AZ) assurances that some of their personal legislative priorities would be dealt with in exchange for their votes.

Collins said she received a promise that the Senate would consider two bipartisan pieces of legislation that would ostensibly mitigate the negative effects that could come from the tax bill’s repeal of Obamacare’s individual mandate. Flake said he received a “firm commitment from Senate Leadership and the administration” to work on a permanent protections for the soon-to-be-ended Obama-era program that shields children of undocumented immigrants.

Both senators ended up voting for the tax bill, giving it the 51 “yes” votes it needed to pass. Within days, however, reality began setting in that those promises might have been flimsy at best.

Moving the Collins and Flake deals through the House was always going to be an uphill climb, with a conservative bloc sharply opposed to both measures, having dubbed DACA a de facto form of amnesty and arguing that the health insurance market stabilization bills that Collins supports are tantamount to a bailout for health insurers and what they view as a broken system. On Monday, those conservatives railed against McConnell for making promises on legislation that they have long opposed.
              ...but...

The likelihood that the House declines to follow through on either the Collins or Flake measures may not, in the end, complicate tax reform at all. The Senate has already passed its tax bill and the House could simply pass the Senate’s bill—meaning that even if the senators raise objections, the bill would still be able to pass.

That was the risk each senator took by giving up their votes before firmly securing their legislative promises.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Collins knew they would screw her...she just didnt care. She wanted an excuse to vote yes and got it and now when she gets "screwed" she can play the victim and the 12 people in Maine will buy it.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Collins knew they would screw her...she just didnt care. She wanted an excuse to vote yes and got it and now when she gets "screwed" she can play the victim and the 12 people in Maine will buy it.
                  Exactly.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Portraits in Moral Leadership.
                    Cornell University

Comment

that's 100% correct

Comment

Sad commentary on the United States but that's what we have. Every single Republican (the party that controls almost the entire country) is bought by special interests and those special interests only account for 1% of the entire population of the country. I'd feel better if the special interests they were involved with held an actual majority opinion. Especially understanding that special interests is the deal. Take their stance on the debt for example. It's a lie. They don't care about the debt. They use the debt for their own purpose. This is shameful and wrong cause they got voters to vote for them under false pretenses. At least when a Democrat talks to you they don't lie about how much things are going to cost and that your taxes may go up.

And what that all boils down to is welcome to the plutocracy. We lie about being a Democracy. We are supposed to be a Constitutional Republic. But, what we really are is a Plutocracy.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I sure hope that slimeball Poliquin is voted out. I've RSVP'd for my first real political fundraiser for someone running for the democrat nomination to oppose Bruce Poliquin.

Comment

In a way I hope that the Ds recapture the Congress in 2018 as that would be the end of the current GOP management and some new brains would be elected.

Of course, after the meeting with Dr. Van Gelder and the neural neutralizer all will be lost again.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              In a way I hope that the Ds recapture the Congress in 2018 as that would be the end of the current GOP management and some new brains would be elected.
                              No it most certainly wouldnt. They would double down just like they did the last time because they will always have a set number of voters no matter what.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                And what that all boils down to is welcome to the plutocracy. We lie about being a Democracy. We are supposed to be a Constitutional Republic. But, what we really are is a Plutocracy.
                                The democratic gains in our history coincided with the 1% needing large masses for factories and armies. Industrial production is now largely automated and offshored to what are effectively slave labor camps in Asia. The military is less needed now because neoliberalism girdles the globe, but when it is it is mostly a matter of missiles and cyber warfare. Boots on the ground are not as important when you can rape and starve a population using economics instead of guns.

The Ruling Class is persistent in both senses of the word. The families in America with wealth have a significant overlap with those who ruled 50, 100, even 150 years ago. There's an amazing statistic about the percentage of assets in England owned by families that directly descend from William the Conqueror's generals -- it's something like 50%. That's a Ruling Class half life of 750 years in one of the oldest representative democracies in the world. It would be interesting to see similar numbers for the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, etc.

The 1% need us now only as consumers. The human economy is based more and more on diversion -- literally in the form of media and entertainment. News is infotainment and democracy is becoming politicotainment.

The questions are:

1. Is that sustainable or will be there be a backlash?

2. If there is a backlash will it be peaceful or violent?
                                Last edited by Kepler; 12-05-2017, 09:36 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X