Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 1010

Thread: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

  1. #681
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Interesting. They should avoid the placeholder and nominate someone who will run. If the coming Dem wave is real the GOP has almost no shot at that seat. The MNGOP bench is very thin.
    Kurt Daudt has a megaboner for Paul Ryan. He wants to go national at some point. He is basically Paul Ryan 20 years ago. Though, his eyes are probably set on Dayton's office for now.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  2. #682
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,321

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Can't do that from what I heard yesterday on MSNBC's 11th Hour. They said the caretaker of the seat signs a pledge to not run. Not sure if that's law or what Dayton is asking.
    I am seeing no such restriction in any research I have done.

    Pioneer Press

    A special election would be held in November of 2018 — the same time Minnesotans will be voting for governor and the state’s other Senate seat, held by U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar. The Dayton appointee need not run for re-election at that time. He or she could be a short-time placeholder.

    The winner of the special election would serve out the remainder of Franken’s term — until January 2021 — and face re-election in November 2020, thus restoring the six-year cycle of Senate seats.
    Maybe Dayton wants that but I am pretty sure he doesnt have the power to compel them to sign away their right to run for re-election. He can MAYBE have his Lt. Governor pledge not to run in 2018 but even that would be dubious.

    Sorry but I dont trust MSNBC to get anything like that correct.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #683
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    They were citing the Strib as a source IIRC

  4. #684
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,321

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    They were citing the Strib as a source IIRC
    Yeah then they are reading the story wrong. According to the Strib the Lt. Gov wont run in 2018 which is why she is taking the position. Dayton wont appoint anyone who will refuse to run in 2018. (and he has zero power to stop them) She is the caretaker and whoever runs in 2018 (if they win) will run again in 2020 for re-election.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  5. #685
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    I keep seeing McCollum’s name come up, and I guess I like her, but for the rest of the state she does nothing. Her district would be a guaranteed D even without her.

    I’d still rather have someone who could carry Hennipen and Ramsey with strong numbers.

  6. #686
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,658

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I keep seeing McCollum’s name come up, and I guess I like her, but for the rest of the state she does nothing. Her district would be a guaranteed D even without her.

    I’d still rather have someone who could carry Hennipen and Ramsey with strong numbers.
    Ellison's name was tossed about this morning, too. He'd bring in Mpls and St. Paul, but have a tough campaign outside the Metro.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  7. #687
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,547

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Does anyone think this "Franken, Conyers" strategy is going to work? 53% of white women voted for a ***** grabber. This gambit changes nothing.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  8. #688
    lucky penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    16,773

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Kurt Daudt has a megaboner for Paul Ryan. He wants to go national at some point. He is basically Paul Ryan 20 years ago. Though, his eyes are probably set on Dayton's office for now.
    Daudt, I think, is waiting to see how the Dem primary shakes out before deciding on a run for governor. If it's Coleman, I think he runs because that's an easy us vs. them campaign that he could possibly win. If it's Walz, I think he waits for a better opportunity(possibly running for the Senate seat.)

    I'd really like to see Rebecca Otto pull her gubernatorial campaign and instead focus on a run for Senator.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

    Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

    Western College Hockey Blog

  9. #689
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,547

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    Daudt, I think, is waiting to see how the Dem primary shakes out before deciding on a run for governor. If it's Coleman, I think he runs because that's an easy us vs. them campaign that he could possibly win. If it's Walz, I think he waits for a better opportunity(possibly running for the Senate seat.)

    I'd really like to see Rebecca Otto pull her gubernatorial campaign and instead focus on a run for Senator.
    No matter what happens we can be sure the Democrats will screw it up.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  10. #690
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Ellison's name was tossed about this morning, too. He'd bring in Mpls and St. Paul, but have a tough campaign outside the Metro.
    He'd get killed outside of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Even outside the 494/694 loop he'd be a tough sell. Duluth might be the only other district that would go for him. Maybe.

    He's not a classic pragmatic Minnesota DFLer. He's a Sanders-level progressive liberal. That doesn't sell well at all outside of the Cities. Names I've seen that I like:

    Chris Coleman
    Lori Swanson
    Tim Walz
    Rebecca Otto (Maize's suggestion I hadn't seen elsewhere; I like this one a LOT. She's a lot like Klobuchar.)

    Names I hate:
    Betsy Hodges
    Keith Ellison

    One thing to remember:
    REMEMBER THE ‘MINNESOTA MASSACRE’
    They remember the “Minnesota Massacre” of 1978. Like today, three Democrats held the offices of governor and the two U.S. Senate seats. In 1976, Sen. Walter Mondale was elected vice president with President Jimmy Carter. Gov. Wendell Anderson essentially appointed himself to fill Mondale’s vacancy. Anderson resigned as governor, knowing that Lt. Gov. Rudy Perpich would become governor and appoint Anderson, which is what happened. Then Anderson ran in the 1978 election to retain Mondale’s Senate seat.

    Voters didn’t dig that maneuver. Republicans swept all three formerly Democratic seats, with Al Quie becoming governor, Rudy Boschwitz taking one Senate seat, and David Durenberger taking the other. It should be noted that while Boschwitz beat Anderson and his ill-advised play, there was a placeholder in the mix that year: Muriel Humphrey. Sen. Hubert Humphrey died in 1978. Perpich appointed his widow, Muriel, who did not run in the election. Durenberger defeated DFL nominee Bob Short in a special election for Humphrey’s seat. So in 1978, both options were employed, and neither worked.
    From the Pioneer Press.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  11. #691
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    Daudt, I think, is waiting to see how the Dem primary shakes out before deciding on a run for governor. If it's Coleman, I think he runs because that's an easy us vs. them campaign that he could possibly win. If it's Walz, I think he waits for a better opportunity(possibly running for the Senate seat.)

    I'd really like to see Rebecca Otto pull her gubernatorial campaign and instead focus on a run for Senator.
    Yeah, Daudt isn't stupid. He will almost certainly take an well-planned attack on one or both of those seats. He plays well to both the morons faction and the rich faction of the GOP. He's also been on TV a lot and been a foil to Dayton which could play extremely well statewide.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  12. #692
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,321

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    The Blue will stay Blue and he would win, but I would prefer he stays where he is at. I say let Walz go for it because Coleman is taking Governor.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  13. #693
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,406

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Isn't Ellison also a Muslim? That's a nonstarter with 99% of folks living outside of a major city.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  14. #694

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,318

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    No matter what happens we can be sure the Democrats will screw it up.
    Stop talking this way. It's no longer true anyway, and it solves nothing.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  15. #695
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,529

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Isn't Ellison also a Muslim? That's a nonstarter with 99% of folks living outside of a major city.
    Yes. And a strong one at that. He's a great candidate for MSP, but wouldn't even sniff a primary win 20 minutes outside of Uptown or Lowertown.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  16. #696
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,406

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yes. And a strong one at that. He's a great candidate for MSP, but wouldn't even sniff a primary win 20 minutes outside of Uptown or Lowertown.
    Yeah, I remember FReepers were sh*tting their collective Depends when he swore his Congressional oath on a copy of the Quran.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  17. #697

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,318

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Isn't Ellison also a Muslim? That's a nonstarter with 99% of folks living outside of a major city.
    Some jackwagon Thumper would murder him cuz, you know, god is love.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-07-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  18. #698

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,638
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    He'd get killed outside of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Even outside the 494/694 loop he'd be a tough sell. Duluth might be the only other district that would go for him. Maybe.

    He's not a classic pragmatic Minnesota DFLer. He's a Sanders-level progressive liberal. That doesn't sell well at all outside of the Cities. Names I've seen that I like:

    Chris Coleman
    Lori Swanson
    Tim Walz
    Rebecca Otto (Maize's suggestion I hadn't seen elsewhere; I like this one a LOT. She's a lot like Klobuchar.)

    Names I hate:
    Betsy Hodges
    Keith Ellison

    One thing to remember:


    From the Pioneer Press.
    So Gov. Dayton cannot appoint himself? He'd have to resign and have his successor appoint him?

  19. #699
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,547

    Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    So Gov. Dayton cannot appoint himself? He'd have to resign and have his successor appoint him?
    No, he can't appoint himself. 1. He's already been a Senator. 2. That's exactly what Anderson did and the net result for Minnesota was two Republican Senators and a Republican Governor.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  20. #700

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,638
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    No, he can't appoint himself. 1. He's already been a Senator. 2. That's exactly what Anderson did and the net result for Minnesota was two Republican Senators and a Republican Governor.
    Is there somebody in DFL in the State legislature that is as PITA to the governor and he can safely remove to Washington?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •