X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

Originally posted by burd View Post
    My daughter's fiancee grew up in Montgomery. When he was still young, his father came out but continued to live in Alabama. He has been in a marriage-type relationship with another man for a long time. By all accounts a good man who has a pretty good relationship with his son.
    He's lucky he hasn't been pushed off a roof.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I see I forgot to add the most confounding part and the reason for my post: His dad voted for Trump.

Comment

I see I forgot to add the most confounding part and the reason for my post: His dad voted for Trump.
        Ummm...yeah...hmmm...WHAT?!?!?
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Ummm...yeah...hmmm...WHAT?!?!?
          Yeah. I've never met the man, but I'd love to talk to him about that. Problem is, if and when I do meet him, I will not know him well enough to just jump into that discussion.

I just shared this personal story to underscore what we probably already know about politics in that region: nothing makes any sense unless you just write it off as the mother lode of confirmation bias.

Comment

Yeah. I've never met the man, but I'd love to talk to him about that. Problem is, if and when I do meet him, I will not know him well enough to just jump into that discussion.

I just shared this personal story to underscore what we probably already know about politics in that region: nothing makes any sense unless you just write it off as the mother lode of confirmation bias.
            Twelve conservative voters gathered inside a Birmingham coffee house Thursday for a candid discussion about the Alabama senate race.

During the frank discussion, some said they were voting for him primarily because he is not Doug Jones. But other participants dismissed the allegations against Moore and excusing others by reasoning that behavior now seen as unacceptable wasn’t a problem in Alabama decades ago.
            The panel was compiled and moderated by Frank Luntz, a Republican pollster well known for arranging focus groups with GOP voters.

“Forty years ago in Alabama, there’s a lotta mamas and daddies that would be thrilled that their 14-year-old was getting hit on by a district attorney,” one voter said. “The women’s reputations were questionable at the time,” another voter said.

“There was still clothes on,” she added, dismissing allegations made by a woman who said Moore molested her when she was 14 years old. “As soon as the girl said she wasn’t comfortable, he took her home.”
            https://news.vice.com/story/why-thes...g-by-roy-moore

Everyone understand Alabama now? Just let it happen. Those people are lost. And we have an Alabaman Attorney General right now. Think about it a minute. Alabama is also the most Trump state for the 2016 election. Alabama is what ALL the people who voted for Trump want us to be.

After all. There were still clothes on.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              https://news.vice.com/story/why-thes...g-by-roy-moore

Everyone understand Alabama now? Just let it happen. Those people are lost. And we have an Alabaman Attorney General right now. Think about it a minute. Alabama is also the most Trump state for the 2016 election. Alabama is what ALL the people who voted for Trump want us to be.

After all. There were still clothes on.
              There's another angle that's interesting, too- NPR interviewed a leader of some evangelical group this morning.

She really expressed concern over Roy Moore- and believed the accusations.

BUT never went so far that she would advocate voting for Jones over Moore. Because abortion stance. Not action, not any evidence that anything has moved in the last 30 years in any significant way, even when they have stacked the court to re-establish a big majority... Etc. That ONE item means that Jones is not electable. So maybe they wont vote, but its possible that they will vote for harassment and assault over something that isn't actually being worked on. Had the D's nominated a "pro-life" candidate, she thinks they would have won in a landslide.

One of those many things that makes me very confused over what evangelicals really stand for WRT Christianity.

Still, people can make a stance on a major issue that faces half of the population. And they likely wont because of a small part of the population, that likely isn't even going to be changed in 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                There's another angle that's interesting, too- NPR interviewed a leader of some evangelical group this morning.

She really expressed concern over Roy Moore- and believed the accusations.

BUT never went so far that she would advocate voting for Jones over Moore. Because abortion stance. Not action, not any evidence that anything has moved in the last 30 years in any significant way, even when they have stacked the court to re-establish a big majority... Etc. That ONE item means that Jones is not electable. So maybe they wont vote, but its possible that they will vote for harassment and assault over something that isn't actually being worked on. Had the D's nominated a "pro-life" candidate, she thinks they would have won in a landslide.

One of those many things that makes me very confused over what evangelicals really stand for WRT Christianity.

Still, people can make a stance on a major issue that faces half of the population. And they likely wont because of a small part of the population, that likely isn't even going to be changed in 30 years.
                Abortion is a huge issue. I just think the right to lifers are approaching it wrong. There is SO MUCH we can do to make the procedure rare and drive down the numbers. Yet everything they put their effort in drives the numbers up and makes it more difficult for women to get the Health Care they need.

It's backwards.

All of them will vote for Moore though and I think his election is a good thing overall for Democrats.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

What is the source of the deeply religious roots of the deep South?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    So was Sec/Sen Clinton. Voters have been shown to be a fickle group.
                    Clinton's national vote tally pretty much matched the polling margins. Unfortunately, there's no electoral college to swing a Senate election.

Comment

What is the source of the deeply religious roots of the deep South?
                      1. More agricultural. Arbitrary planting god must be appeased. c.f. the Prairie
                      2. Less diverse immigration. In cosmopolitan centers you meet others with different religions and realize it's all hooey.
                      3. Hardship history. Unhappy people turn to gods for revenge. c.f. the black Bible Belt
                      4. Less education. Ignorance isn't necessary for religion but it sure helps.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2017, 08:45 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        1. More agricultural. Arbitrary planting god must be appeased. c.f. the Prairie
                        2. Less diverse immigration. In cosmopolitan centers you meet others with different religions and realize it's all hooey.
                        3. Hardship history. Unhappy people turn to gods for revenge. c.f. the black Bible Belt
                        4. Less education. Ignorance isn't necessary for religion but it sure helps.
                        Education has to be a huge part of the current issue. Just saw stats this morning where Non educated whites love Moore by an embarrassing margin and college Educated white women down there are +18 for Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Education has to be a huge part of the current issue. Just saw stats this morning where Non educated whites love Moore by an embarrassing margin and college Educated white women down there are +18 for Jones
                          53% of white women voted for Trump. I don't think 53% of white women are uneducated.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            53% of white women voted for Trump. I don't think 53% of white women are uneducated.
                            It's education.

Trump outperformed Clinton among white women, winning 53 percent of voters in that demographic. Drilling down further, he beat Clinton among white women without college degrees by 27 points.

Trump’s success is specifically among white women without college degrees, 61 percent of whom voted for him. Clinton actually did 7 points better than Trump with white college-educated women.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2017, 09:05 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              He's lucky he hasn't been pushed off a roof.
                              That's the religion of peace.

"Accidents" happen in the South.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Abortion is a huge issue. I just think the right to lifers are approaching it wrong. There is SO MUCH we can do to make the procedure rare and drive down the numbers. Yet everything they put their effort in drives the numbers up and makes it more difficult for women to get the Health Care they need.

It's backwards.

All of them will vote for Moore though and I think his election is a good thing overall for Democrats.
                                I’ll never understand how the anti-choice crowd can be anti birth control as well. It makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X