X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    There are advantages but not as many as you would think. But also remember not everyone knows what they are going to do when they go to college so they might already be pot committed ya know.

There is zero excuse for the rates colleges charge now. The Republican Wet Dream of for profit college is killing education at all levels.
    I don't disagree that colleges charge too much but it's still possible to get out of school with a degree in whatever and not be a slave the rest of your life to student loans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I don't disagree that colleges charge too much but it's still possible to get out of school with a degree in whatever and not be a slave the rest of your life to student loans.

They've ruined college though. It's supposed to be about discovery and finding yourself. Now it's about economics.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        They've ruined college though. It's supposed to be about discovery and finding yourself. Now it's about economics.
        I thought it was about completing a task on your own, without teachers and parents riding herd

Comment

If you’re a really good athlete at the right sport then maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I thought it was about completing a task on your own, without teachers and parents riding herd
            That's just the ordinary animal training of late teens / early 20s. It has nothing to do with college, which is about being exposed to stuff way above your parents and your hometown, and being able to have a few years of thinking and exploring before being reduced to a mindless working drone.

College is about finding and encouraging intellectuals. Everything else can be handled by trade schools and the army. About 1000 times the number of people who belong in college go there purely for the status and credential.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              That's just the ordinary animal training of late teens / early 20s. It has nothing to do with college, which is about being exposed to stuff way above your parents and your hometown, and being able to have a few years of thinking and exploring before being reduced to a mindless working drone.

College is about finding and encouraging intellectuals. Everything else can be handled by trade schools and the army. About 1000 times the number of people who belong in college go there purely for the status and credential.
              What's the current % of students who aspire to be intellectuals, 10? Probably less than that

Comment

What's the current % of students who aspire to be intellectuals, 10? Probably less than that
                Intellectual isn't a dirty word in every sub-culture. We could use a few more of them. The anti-intellectualism of the US led directly to Trump. They are the antibodies of a healthy political body.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Maybe 3 in Trump counties.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    There are advantages but not as many as you would think. But also remember not everyone knows what they are going to do when they go to college so they might already be pot committed ya know.

There is zero excuse for the rates colleges charge now. The Republican Wet Dream of for profit college is killing education at all levels.
                    That’s another reason why this tax plan is so insane. Literally ruining the future for everyone so some rich people get even richer right now.
                    Make it impossible to afford school, keep them stupid and keep them voting republican

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Intellectual isn't a dirty word in every sub-culture. We could use a few more of them. The anti-intellectualism of the US led directly to Trump. They are the antibodies of a healthy political body.
                      I think it's more likely an economy that left the working class out in the cold. They bought the BS that Trump was selling, draining the swamp, wall etc

Comment

For Profit College predates Trump...but he and his party are trying to make it into the next bubble. This whole thing is going to explode soon because the economy cant take an entire generation being so in debt they are paralyzed from spending.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          For Profit College predates Trump...but he and his party are trying to make it into the next bubble. This whole thing is going to explode soon because the economy cant take an entire generation being so in debt they are paralyzed from spending.
                          Especially given how many hundreds of billions or dollars colleges are sitting on with their endowments. Almost certainly trillions.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think it's more likely an economy that left the working class out in the cold.
                            The same people who voted for Reagan and trickle-down 37 years ago. You reap what you sow.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              The same people who voted for Reagan and trickle-down 37 years ago. You reap what you sow.
                              so if trickle down didn't happen, robots and automation wouldn't have appeared?
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                so if trickle down didn't happen, robots and automation wouldn't have appeared?
                                What does David Stockman, the so-called Father of Reaganomics, have to say about this budget. About Reagan's tax bill, he said the following: "I mean, Kemp-Roth was always a Trojan horse to bring down the top rate.... It's kind of hard to sell 'trickle down.'"

I know he got in some trouble on Wall Street after leaving OMB, but is he getting any airtime with this budget?
                                Last edited by burd; 11-21-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X