X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Well it can be an attempt at humor and still sexual harrassment. The problem is some comedians or even people who watch a lot of comedy don't seem to get that there's a difference between the comedy world and the real world. Especially in this context but even with things like offensive jokes or what have you.
    From everything I've heard the Comedy World is amazingly free of, well, restraint, provided you are funny. I mean... the Aristocrats! But this isn't funny, it's boorish and easy. Even the meta-meta-meta "I'm playing a guy playing a guy playing a guy..." of this is boorish and easy and something any sophomore fratboy can pull off. And the unpardonable sin in the Comedy World is to have bad game.

Franken has great game. Very few comedians have ever been more slow burn, quiet, clever and cerebral. (Louis C. K. is, oddly, one of the other ones). So this stuff is Just. So. Dumb. Even the dumbness of it is just so dumb.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      What is the threshold for individual/joint filers where there will be a tax increase.

I was watching something last night and it seemed that anyone over $70k would see an increase.

That can't be true...

Anyone know what it is?
      I think it will depend on your state and mortgage situation, among other things. If you have a big-*** mortgage and live in a state with high state taxes, you can be sure you're going to see an increase. I know I am.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Fox News site has Franken as the front-and-center story on its home page. Because they're not an arm of a political party at all.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          Franken has a long history of attempted humor.

Wish I understood how this was thought to be funny to anyone other than him.
          There's a segment of comedians that believe you take any laugh you can get, no matter how cheap or sophomoric. Whether it's for practice, or what, who knows. Didn't think Franken was in that crowd, but apparently he is (or was).

If this has happened 40 years ago in the age of Animal House, Airplane!, Revenge of the Nerds, etc., it'd be one thing. Sexual comedy was much more prevalent across society, for better or worse. But 2006? Really?
          Last edited by unofan; 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Quelle surprise, Tiggsy only joins the fray now that it's a liberal pol accused/busted. No comments on Moore and his accusers at all, but since Franken was always a lousy comedian to him, he'll pile on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Which is another circumstance that suggests she isn't just planting a partisan lie to cause damage. The time to do that would be after the nomination.

I don't feel this often, because I don't expect much of celebs, but:

Well, I don't necessarily think Republicans would be focused on inflicting damage to a potential 2020 challenger right now so much as they would be focused on using something for damage control to change the subject from their own dumpster fire. My instinct is that there's a good amount of exaggeration, and that her politics may play a factor in that. But, I also don't think it really matters--she's not flat out lying. I'm very disappointed as well, thought he was above this.

Comment

Were they holding this card to play at the right time?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  The Fox News site has Franken as the front-and-center story on its home page. Because they're not an arm of a political party at all.

This should be news on every political site.

Of course FOX is going to go ape over this though.

Moore is covered on MSNBC pretty much around the clock right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    From everything I've heard the Comedy World is amazingly free of, well, restraint, provided you are funny. I mean... the Aristocrats! But this isn't funny, it's boorish and easy. Even the meta-meta-meta "I'm playing a guy playing a guy playing a guy..." of this is boorish and easy and something any sophomore fratboy can pull off. And the unpardonable sin in the Comedy World is to have bad game.
                    Well yeah exactly, no disagreement there.

The point I was trying to make is that there are people like my roommate who's watched a ton of comedy skits or what have you that are offensive and then tries to do the same thing in the real world expecting people to laugh along with it and not be offended. Like there were some women at his work I guess making those women's march hats (those pink vagina hats or whatever they're called) and then he tried to make an offensive joke calling them c*nt caps. Then he was somehow shocked when the women at work didn't find it funny and asked him to apologize. Now I can see the angle he was coming from obviously having known him for a while and it was a lame play on words and meant to be a joke but that's just an incredibly stupid thing to say in the work place, especially in the context of what was happening (clearly this is a serious cause the women are passionate about). I remember trying not to cringe/facepalm when he told me this.

Obviously what Franken did isn't funny in any context really, especially the quoted part if true.
                    Last edited by trixR4kids; 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      They'll be wall to wall.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Were they holding this card to play at the right time?

Does it matter?

Only Al to blame here.

Very disappointing.

Love his politics.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                          Well, I don't necessarily think Republicans would be focused on inflicting damage to a potential 2020 challenger right now so much as they would be focused on using something for damage control to change the subject from their own dumpster fire. My instinct is that there's a good amount of exaggeration, and that her politics may play a factor in that. But, I also don't think it really matters--she's not flat out lying. I'm very disappointed as well, thought he was above this.
                          This is my feeling as well.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            Well yeah exactly, no disagreement there.

The point I was trying to make is that there are people like my roommate who's watched a ton of comedy skits or what have you that are offensive and then tries to do the same thing in the real world expecting people to laugh along with it and not be offended. Like there were some women at his work I guess making those women's march hats (those pink vagina hats or whatever they're called) and then he tried to make an offensive joke calling them c*nt caps. Then he was somehow shocked when the women at work didn't find it funny and asked him to apologize. Now I can see the angle he was coming from obviously having known him for a while and it was a lame play on words and meant to be a joke but that's just an incredibly stupid thing to say in the work place, especially in the context of what was happening (clearly this is a serious cause the women are passionate about). I remember trying not to cringe/facepalm when he told me this.

I laughed at the thought of this uncomfortable situation.

Comment

Franken's statement:
                              “I certainly don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way, but I send my sincerest apologies to Leeann. As to the photo, it was clearly intended to be funny but wasn’t. I shouldn’t have done it,”
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                I laughed at the thought of this uncomfortable situation.
                                Well same, it's like watching Larry David commit some social train wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1liVw-fRkTM
                                Last edited by trixR4kids; 11-16-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X