Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 540

Thread: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

  1. #501
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,228

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Give me an example of something ok in the past that has ruined someoneís career
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Seems like Morgan Freeman is falling into this....

    Basically, allegations at the least, and proven bad behavior now, is enough to smear a person's livelihood. They resign, are fired, whatever.

    Mind you, I'm NOT saying everyone is innocent, but all it takes is an allegation nowadays, not a conviction.
    Go fish

    A young production assistant thought she had landed the job of her dreams when, in the summer of 2015, she started work on "Going In Style," a bank heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin.

    But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.
    In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear." He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said -- he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he'd try again. Eventually, she said, "Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn't know what to say."
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-26-2018 at 02:22 PM.

  2. #502
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    You beat me to it. If lifting someoneís skirt was ďokĒ before then I donít know what to say.

  3. #503
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,846

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    You beat me to it. If lifting someoneís skirt was ďokĒ before then I donít know what to say.
    That's not ok.

    My point is, there are some situations (many years ago) where something was just accepted, and in hindsight was not right. And today, all it takes is an allegation. Both cases, you're done. I don't think that is necessarily fair. Should the guilty be punished? No question (Harvey, Louis CK, etc).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #504
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    I think in many cases it wasnít accepted- but women Were discoraged from speaking out. Or fired.
    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 05-26-2018 at 03:08 PM.

  5. #505
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,228

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    That's not ok.

    My point is, there are some situations (many years ago) where something was just accepted, and in hindsight was not right. And today, all it takes is an allegation. Both cases, you're done. I don't think that is necessarily fair. Should the guilty be punished? No question (Harvey, Louis CK, etc).
    Name one person.

  6. #506
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,052

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Aziz Ansari?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  7. #507
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,228

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Has that really ruined his career? And it wasnít something he did in the past that was acceptable but now isnít.

    Iíll give you there are some false accusations out there. But thatís not what Brent was claiming. He was claiming that people are having lives ruined because society is changing its standards on what it finds acceptable. Thatís simply not the case.

  8. #508
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,052

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    It has definitely hurt his career and people still lump him in with the likes of Weinstein...

    And technically yes...prior to #MeToo his story doesnt make any headlines and certainly doesnt get him roasted on a spire.

    Ok how about Ben Affleck. When the Weinstein stuff broke a few intrepid "reporters" online went back and found a few incidents years ago where he hit on girls rather sleezily while drunk at a Hollywood party or two. (ranks right up there with KMSP going after Gopher Hockey players for drinking a a campus bar) Back then nothing was made of it (except to call him a creep) but now it became headlines because...reasons? Pitchfork Nation made it out to be since he knew Weinstein, and since he is an alcoholic who has cheated on his wife, and since he is kind of a playboy he obviously was assaulting them.

    What the #MeToo movement hasnt been able to fix is that they dont differentiate between the degrees of what was done. Is Ben Affleck kind of a creep? Probably. Is Aziz Ansari kind of a -bag? Possibly. Should they be treated the same as Weinstein or CK or Kevin Spacey...HELL NO!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  9. #509
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,846

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    It has definitely hurt his career and people still lump him in with the likes of Weinstein...

    And technically yes...prior to #MeToo his story doesnt make any headlines and certainly doesnt get him roasted on a spire.

    Ok how about Ben Affleck. When the Weinstein stuff broke a few intrepid "reporters" online went back and found a few incidents years ago where he hit on girls rather sleezily while drunk at a Hollywood party or two. (ranks right up there with KMSP going after Gopher Hockey players for drinking a a campus bar) Back then nothing was made of it (except to call him a creep) but now it became headlines because...reasons? Pitchfork Nation made it out to be since he knew Weinstein, and since he is an alcoholic who has cheated on his wife, and since he is kind of a playboy he obviously was assaulting them.

    What the #MeToo movement hasnt been able to fix is that they dont differentiate between the degrees of what was done. Is Ben Affleck kind of a creep? Probably. Is Aziz Ansari kind of a -bag? Possibly. Should they be treated the same as Weinstein or CK or Kevin Spacey...HELL NO!
    dingdingding
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #510
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    I agree with handy. But thatís sth not the same as saying things that used to be ok arenít now.
    Iím still gonna watch new season of ansari show

  11. #511
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,846

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I agree with handy. But thatís sth not the same as saying things that used to be ok arenít now.
    Iím still gonna watch new season of ansari show
    Yeah, it really is. Say I walk up to you at work, put my arm around your shoulders, or the small of your back (NOT ANY LOWER) and say, "Hey hun, how's your day today?" Back then? Creepy, but forcibly accepted. Nowadays? Yeah, you're in a bit of trouble.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #512
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,083

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Yeah, it really is. Say I walk up to you at work, put my arm around your shoulders, or the small of your back (NOT ANY LOWER) and say, "Hey hun, how's your day today?" Back then? Creepy, but forcibly accepted. Nowadays? Yeah, you're in a bit of trouble.
    .

    Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

  13. #513
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,846

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    .
    Back then it was. That's what I'm saying.

    Should something like what I mentioned in that post come back to haunt? Lots of people learned their lessons and changed along the way. Some didn't. Punish the ones who didn't. Don't punish the ghosts of people's pasts.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #514
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,052

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I agree with handy. But thatís sth not the same as saying things that used to be ok arenít now.
    Iím still gonna watch new season of ansari show
    I am pretty sure they arent making a new season...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  15. #515
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,846

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I am pretty sure they arent making a new season...
    Yeah, haven't heard anything on the Ansari front. If anyone knows anything about new stuff, correct me, but I think he's pretty much done.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #516
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fort Kick A**
    Posts
    264

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I am pretty sure they arent making a new season...
    Master of None is on permanent hiatus since the accusations from the Babe.net story.

  17. #517

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    @amyalkon: Weird. The world is becoming a giant nursery school: "Netflix bans workers from looking at each other for more than five seconds and asking for phone numbers in flirting crackdown" https://dailym.ai/2Ju6HKi

  18. #518

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    @amyalkon: Weird. The world is becoming a giant nursery school: "Netflix bans workers from looking at each other for more than five seconds and asking for phone numbers in flirting crackdown" https://dailym.ai/2Ju6HKi
    No worries. Dump will return us to the he-man days when you could reach up your secretary's dress and grab a slice of pie.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  19. #519
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    21,198

    Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No worries. Dump will return us to the he-man days when you could reach up your secretary's dress and grab a slice of pie.
    They keep pie up there???!!!??

    I like pie.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  20. #520
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,206
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    They keep pie up there???!!!??

    I like pie.
    Mmmmmmmm, pie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •