Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Lucia Apologist

Re: Hollywood Sexual Assault Thread: We needed one...

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Give me an example of something ok in the past that has ruined someoneís career
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Seems like Morgan Freeman is falling into this....

Basically, allegations at the least, and proven bad behavior now, is enough to smear a person's livelihood. They resign, are fired, whatever.

Mind you, I'm NOT saying everyone is innocent, but all it takes is an allegation nowadays, not a conviction.
    Go fish

A young production assistant thought she had landed the job of her dreams when, in the summer of 2015, she started work on "Going In Style," a bank heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin.

But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.
    In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear." He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said -- he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he'd try again. Eventually, she said, "Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn't know what to say."
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-26-2018 at 02:22 PM.

You beat me to it. If lifting someoneís skirt was ďokĒ before then I donít know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    You beat me to it. If lifting someoneís skirt was ďokĒ before then I donít know what to say.
    That's not ok.

My point is, there are some situations (many years ago) where something was just accepted, and in hindsight was not right. And today, all it takes is an allegation. Both cases, you're done. I don't think that is necessarily fair. Should the guilty be punished? No question (Harvey, Louis CK, etc).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

I think in many cases it wasnít accepted- but women Were discoraged from speaking out. Or fired.
    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 05-26-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Lucia Apologist

That's not ok.

My point is, there are some situations (many years ago) where something was just accepted, and in hindsight was not right. And today, all it takes is an allegation. Both cases, you're done. I don't think that is necessarily fair. Should the guilty be punished? No question (Harvey, Louis CK, etc).
    Name one person.

Aziz Ansari?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Lucia Apologist

Has that really ruined his career? And it wasnít something he did in the past that was acceptable but now isnít.

Iíll give you there are some false accusations out there. But thatís not what Brent was claiming. He was claiming that people are having lives ruined because society is changing its standards on what it finds acceptable. Thatís simply not the case.

It has definitely hurt his career and people still lump him in with the likes of Weinstein...

And technically yes...prior to #MeToo his story doesnt make any headlines and certainly doesnt get him roasted on a spire.

Ok how about Ben Affleck. When the Weinstein stuff broke a few intrepid "reporters" online went back and found a few incidents years ago where he hit on girls rather sleezily while drunk at a Hollywood party or two. (ranks right up there with KMSP going after Gopher Hockey players for drinking a a campus bar) Back then nothing was made of it (except to call him a creep) but now it became headlines because...reasons? Pitchfork Nation made it out to be since he knew Weinstein, and since he is an alcoholic who has cheated on his wife, and since he is kind of a playboy he obviously was assaulting them.

What the #MeToo movement hasnt been able to fix is that they dont differentiate between the degrees of what was done. Is Ben Affleck kind of a creep? Probably. Is Aziz Ansari kind of a -bag? Possibly. Should they be treated the same as Weinstein or CK or Kevin Spacey...HELL NO!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    It has definitely hurt his career and people still lump him in with the likes of Weinstein...

And technically yes...prior to #MeToo his story doesnt make any headlines and certainly doesnt get him roasted on a spire.

Ok how about Ben Affleck. When the Weinstein stuff broke a few intrepid "reporters" online went back and found a few incidents years ago where he hit on girls rather sleezily while drunk at a Hollywood party or two. (ranks right up there with KMSP going after Gopher Hockey players for drinking a a campus bar) Back then nothing was made of it (except to call him a creep) but now it became headlines because...reasons? Pitchfork Nation made it out to be since he knew Weinstein, and since he is an alcoholic who has cheated on his wife, and since he is kind of a playboy he obviously was assaulting them.

What the #MeToo movement hasnt been able to fix is that they dont differentiate between the degrees of what was done. Is Ben Affleck kind of a creep? Probably. Is Aziz Ansari kind of a -bag? Possibly. Should they be treated the same as Weinstein or CK or Kevin Spacey...HELL NO!
    dingdingding
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

I agree with handy. But thatís sth not the same as saying things that used to be ok arenít now.
    Iím still gonna watch new season of ansari show

I agree with handy. But thatís sth not the same as saying things that used to be ok arenít now.
    Yeah, it really is. Say I walk up to you at work, put my arm around your shoulders, or the small of your back (NOT ANY LOWER) and say, "Hey hun, how's your day today?" Back then? Creepy, but forcibly accepted. Nowadays? Yeah, you're in a bit of trouble.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Yeah, it really is. Say I walk up to you at work, put my arm around your shoulders, or the small of your back (NOT ANY LOWER) and say, "Hey hun, how's your day today?" Back then? Creepy, but forcibly accepted. Nowadays? Yeah, you're in a bit of trouble.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Back then it was. That's what I'm saying.

Should something like what I mentioned in that post come back to haunt? Lots of people learned their lessons and changed along the way. Some didn't. Punish the ones who didn't. Don't punish the ghosts of people's pasts.

I am pretty sure they arent making a new season...
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Yeah, haven't heard anything on the Ansari front. If anyone knows anything about new stuff, correct me, but I think he's pretty much done.

Master of None is on permanent hiatus since the accusations from the Babe.net story.

@amyalkon: Weird. The world is becoming a giant nursery school: "Netflix bans workers from looking at each other for more than five seconds and asking for phone numbers in flirting crackdown" https://dailym.ai/2Ju6HKi

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    @amyalkon: Weird. The world is becoming a giant nursery school: "Netflix bans workers from looking at each other for more than five seconds and asking for phone numbers in flirting crackdown" https://dailym.ai/2Ju6HKi
    No worries. Dump will return us to the he-man days when you could reach up your secretary's dress and grab a slice of pie.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No worries. Dump will return us to the he-man days when you could reach up your secretary's dress and grab a slice of pie.
    They keep pie up there???!!!??

I like pie.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    They keep pie up there???!!!??

I like pie.
    Mmmmmmmm, pie

Thread Information